Full fat Les Paul build

What's Hot

Comments

• davrosdavros Frets: 1327
    Mini update, I have plugged and redrilled one of the tuner holes. It was about 1.5mm out and meant the A string touched the E string at the headstock. Also added a 1mm maple filler on one side of the P90 route. I think the template slipped a bit when routing and with the pickup fitted the treble side gap was a little too large.

Also just about finish sanded and grain filled. I used Rustins mahogany for my TV Yellow build but that was too pinky for a natural mahogany back. So, this time I'm using Dartford's thixotropic grain filler in Brown Mahogany. It's very dark but I think highlights the grain nicely and in a natural looking way. It also darkens the wood slightly.

I applied it with a credit card, wiped off the excess with a dry dishcloth, then a gentle wipe with white spirit to clean off the surface. It's a wierd texture, very thin in the tin but thickens up when you spread it on.

Here are some pics with a wipe of white spirit. Hopefully it will look similar after spraying.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Superb work
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Vote for Dakota re
    Vote for Dakota re
    Good job you say that as I've just ordered the nitro!!
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Fab - love everything about this build ! 
    Thanks, Phil + Danish.

Not sure how quickly I'll be able to get it painted with it being so cold at the moment, but will try and get some coats on when the air is dry.
    Painting has begun. I've sealed and coloured the top and headstock. Scraping the binding was nervewracking and I had to respray the horn for a second attempt but it turned out looking pretty sharp!

The Dakota Red is hard to photograph and in real life looks different in different lights. It looks a bit darker than the pic below.

Next up 3 cans of clear. Debating whether to play cat and mouse with the temperature and humidity, spraying in the garage or set up a spray booth (fold down wardrobe) in the bathroom. I'd spray, let it dry a little then open the windows to vent, leaving the door closed to keep fumes out of the rest of the house. dunno...

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks great @davros - I'm a fan of colour / binding / natural backs on LP alikes:

www.theflyingacesband.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    The Dakota Red + light back is an unusual and very compelling choice.....looks great. Neck joint is superb. Really impressed with your skills and luck!

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    Thanks Rich and Matt. Plenty of luck involved, some bad but it helps me learn (how to fix them and not make them next time!).

The neck joint looks even nicer with some finish on it. the wood colour is more consistent between the 2 pieces.

Any more pics of that build @MattNovak?
    Here's the neck joint with just sanding sealer. Looking smooooth

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looking really good. 
  • davros said:
    Thanks Rich and Matt. Plenty of luck involved, some bad but it helps me learn (how to fix them and not make them next time!).

The neck joint looks even nicer with some finish on it. the wood colour is more consistent between the 2 pieces.

Any more pics of that build @MattNovak?
    Not to hijack your thread on a gorgeous guitar, but the whole sorry episode is here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/179686/zemaitis-bonabyrd-type-thing/p1 ;

Its been through a few colours, and there's still one high fret (dammit) but its on my 'to finally complete' list. 

Are you planning on doing the whole 3 cans of clear? 
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    I must have missed that thread. I'll have a read this evening!

My last build I used 2 cans, it needed more. Steve Robinson suggested 4 for a really smooth finish. I'm splitting the difference.
  • Looking so good! Like @MattNovak, I'm also a fan of colour, binding, natural. Frank Brothers do this really also.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    Lovely stuff, another fan of the colour + natural thing going on there.
  • davros said:
    Here's the neck joint with just sanding sealer. Looking smooooth

Beautiful, I could reach the 37th fret with ease! 
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Looks great - I really like that neck transition 

Natural finish and coloured cap looks great already 
    Clear coats are going on. Since it's so bloody cold at the moment, I picked up a cheap portable wardrobe and set it up in the bathroom. I can leave the bathroom door shut and windows open a bit to keep the fumes out of the house. Seems to be working well. 1.5 cans down, 1.5 to go.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    Very good build !