Full fat Les Paul build

What's Hot

Comments

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Where theres a will theres a way ! Lovr that spray booth. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    Yes brilliant. I've thought of using the shower with its extractor fan on before now
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    ... drags compressor up to house ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1328
    Times like this it's good having a separate en suite! Don't think the missus would be too happy if we didn't!
  • How long did it take for the fumes to clear? I sprayed in the shed in late September. It took a few days for the fumes to clear, 
    I'm not really sure. With 2 windows open it clears pretty quickly. There's still a bit of a lingering smell, but that should go away when the bathroom gets cleaned. The other reason for using the bathroom is no soft furnishings to hold the smells and easy to wipe down the tiled walls.
    Clear coats are done, so a quick update before an agonising 2 week wait until I can wet sand.

I applied the decal (from guitardecals.co.uk) and thought I'd share some learnings. The first time, i flattened the area to 1000 grit, but the decal was 'silvered', it didnt dry clear. Luckily they had sent 2 decals so, following their advice I got some MicroSet liquid, brushed it on before putting the decal down and the second time it was perfect. Will definitely be using this stuff in the future. It's had about 10 very light coats of nitro to protect it, and next I'll start burying it with thicker coats.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    davros said:
    Clear coats are done, so a quick update before an agonising 2 week wait until I can wet sand.
    That looks excellent!
    The first time, i flattened the area to 1000 grit, but the decal was 'silvered', it didnt dry clear.
    It's air trapped under the film. Generally the first coat of lacquer will do the same as your MicroSet but it's tricky getting it just wet enough to soften and not so wet it wrinkles. Attaching the transfer with PVA helps, I apply a smear of 50% PVA before placing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, last time I flattened and polished a little before fitting the decal and that worked ok, but for a fiver for a little bottle that will last forever, the MicroSet seems like a decent solution. I struggle to get a flat coat straight out of the can. I expect the PVA effectively does the same thing, fills the tiny gaps between the decal and paint to make it clear.

Like most things with guitar building there seem to be lots of different ways you can achieve the same end, people just stick to what worked for them in the past.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Superb work. Looking forward to seeing it finalised. What sort of weight is it coming in at?
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Coming together very nicely indeed ! Lovely neat work 
    Good question @danishbacon. I'll stick it on the scales with the parts, should be pretty light, the mahogany wasn't heavy to start with and I hollowed most of it out!
    Just the body and neck is 2.6kg, 3.2kg including the bowl of parts (7.0lbs). For comparison my 2008 LP standard (chambered) is 3.3kg, so very similar.
    edited February 2021
    Quick mockup, looking shekshy. Slightly filtered to try and reflect the real colour.

Now, the question is, should it have a switch ring and/or pickguard too as per the inspo below.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Shiiiiiiit!

Serves me right for being too eager but just took a chunk out of the front. Must have knocked it with the P90 screw.

Well, decision made whether to relic it, but do you guys think I might be able to drop fill it? Any tips on doing that?

tFB Trader
    Oh dear, I'm sorry to see that. 

Yes drop fill. 

Spray some red into the can lid and let it stand to thicken up a bit and let any bubbles disperse.

I like to use a wound string to pick up the lacquer and apply it, the windings hold the lacquer nicely.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks Steve, Did as you suggested with some colour to start with. I guess I'll check the colour is solid and follow up with a drop or few of clear until it is proud of the surface when dry.

Thanks for the guitar string trick, worked a treat!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    Looks ace though... I would try pickguard, no ring
    I'll make some in card and see how it looks!
  • As is, no ring no pickguard!