McLaughin is to Hoots...

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
edited December 2020 in Music
as Gilmour is to Gass

A heads up for those unfamiliar with Shakti

Shakti Natural Elements........his most accessible Shakti album

Here is McLaughlin in rare 1st gear mode with some nice world music

1st track is beautiful and meditative and 2nd is a nice groove on the blues (2nd track is on the next post)

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    Oops 2nd track should have been this.....

tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Cracking stuff, I love Johnny Mac too and Natural Elements is my favourite Shakti album. I saw the original Shakti  band and Shakti Remembered, both excellent gigs. The Shakti gig was one of their first live performances and they were on the same bill as Weather Report that night, ‘twas awesome! 
  • RomainRomain Frets: 15
    Thanks for this. The percussions on the second track remind me of On the Corner, record in which John plays guitar as well. 
    @boogieman I saw the original Shakti in Glasgow with support act Kevin coyne

This pairing was almost as badly thought out as Hendrix /monkees
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Try as I might, I've never been able to get into McLaughlin's music.  I've got a Mahavishnu Orchestra album, I've got that album with Carlos Santana... but his playing just doesn't connect with my brain.  I know he's great, but...
    PQ that's a very bombastic OTT album
    tae be or not tae be
    Hootsmon said:
    PQ that's a very bombastic OTT album
    Probably the one I'm MOST likely to like, then!
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    boogieman said:
    Cracking stuff, I love Johnny Mac too and Natural Elements is my favourite Shakti album. I saw the original Shakti  band and Shakti Remembered, both excellent gigs. The Shakti gig was one of their first live performances and they were on the same bill as Weather Report that night, ‘twas awesome! 
    I was there....Hammersmith Odeon, 3 nights running. The 3rd band on the bill was George Duke/Billy Cobham with Alphonso Johnson and John Scofield.

I'll never forget it.

I saw Mclaughlin last year (2019) at the Barbican. Fantastic band and he's still great.

jdgm said:
    boogieman said:
    I was there....Hammersmith Odeon, 3 nights running. The 3rd band on the bill was George Duke/Billy Cobham with Alphonso Johnson and John Scofield.

I'll never forget it.

I saw Mclaughlin last year (2019) at the Barbican. Fantastic band and he's still great.

Small world, I was at the Barbican gig too. Great night wasn’t it? I was expecting the worst as Hoots had told me beforehand that JM was suffering with arthritis. God help us mere mortals if that’s someone with bad hands. 

And yes, you’re right it was Duke/Cobham. I’ve still got the ticket stub. 

I’ve seen JM quite a few times, I think my favourite was the Trio gig at the Festival Hall, the one they put out as an album. Trilok Gurtu was mesmerising to watch. 

Philly_Q said:
    Try as I might, I've never been able to get into McLaughlin's music.  I've got a Mahavishnu Orchestra album, I've got that album with Carlos Santana... but his playing just doesn't connect with my brain.  I know he's great, but...
    Yup, he seems to be a guy that people either like or hate. 
    I certainly don't hate him, but what he does just isn't for me.
    Trilok Gurtu and his trusty bucket of water  ;)
    tae be or not tae be
    edited December 2020
    It's stunning to think that in a year and a month he will be 80

Proof if proof was needed that a life of mediation, tennis, cycling and hill walking and all that boring shit rather than a cocktail of coke and alcohol can be,....err, as boring as hell
    tae be or not tae be
    edited December 2020
    boogieman said:
    jdgm said:
    boogieman said:

I'll never forget it.

Small world, I was at the Barbican gig too. Great night wasn’t it? I was expecting the worst as Hoots had told me beforehand that JM was suffering with arthritis. God help us mere mortals if that’s someone with bad hands. 

I’ve seen JM quite a few times, I think my favourite was the Trio gig at the Festival Hall, the one they put out as an album. Trilok Gurtu was mesmerising to watch. 
    I don't think I saw that one but I did have the CD...which I stupidly sold; Gurtu was/is fantastic, I eventually caught him in a duo with Zawinul - another huge hero of mine.

I do remember Mclaughlin in a duo with the Scandinavian guy - Hellborg - on bass, might have even been a twin-neck...and that night they were supporting Lee Ritenour!! That was in London, probably RFH?

Uh - boasting again - I'm old enough to have seen both original Mahavishnu Orchestras; the 1st was at Crystal Palace, supporting Yes.  They blew 'em off IMHO. 

And I wish I'd seen "Remember Shakti" with the mandolin player who is now no longer with us. The album's great.

jdgm said:
    boogieman said:
    jdgm said:
    boogieman said:

I'll never forget it.

I don't think I saw that one but I did have the CD...which I stupidly sold; Gurtu was/is fantastic, I eventually caught him in a duo with Zawinul - another huge hero of mine.

I do remember Mclaughlin in a duo with the Scandinavian guy - Hellborg - on bass, might have even been a twin-neck...and that night they were supporting Lee Ritenour!! That was in London, probably RFH?

Uh - boasting again - I'm old enough to have seen both original Mahavishnu Orchestras; the 1st was at Crystal Palace, supporting Yes.  They blew 'em off IMHO. 

And I wish I'd seen "Remember Shakti" with the mandolin player who is now no longer with us. The album's great.

around 84  synclaver guitar ? mahavishnu mk 3
    tae be or not tae be
    oh....you said duo.....just ignore me  :)
    tae be or not tae be
    edited December 2020
    They only era i have not seen is the current one, The 4th Dimension. laptop tone and chorus pedal and awkward delay and whammy bar tic was alas not for me.....have all the 4D albums though but don't give it enough attention TBH
    tae be or not tae be
    This gets me every time, Gets me on the dance floor :) The Joe Zawinul  song In a silent way

Piece takes a coupla minutes to get started but once it kicks in Ray cooper steals / runs away with the show

tae be or not tae be
    edited December 2020
    "Play it like you don't know how to play the guitar"....

jdgm said:
    boogieman said:
    jdgm said:
    boogieman said:

I'll never forget it.

Sadly I never got to see Mahavishnu Mk 1, they were an incredible band. I did see the Jean Luc Ponty version, although where escapes me. Also the Bill Evans/Mitch Foreman version at Hammersmith (I wish they had done more albums, they were a really good band). 

I agree on the 4th Dimension, JM’s tone is really horrible on that live at Ronnies album. I really don’t know what he was thinking when he came up with all that wobbly stuff.