Advice from Collings I35lc or Prs 594 owners

What's Hot
Long term Fender Strat player. I’ve just sold my electric with the intention of just playing acoustic. However, the thought of something different appeals. 

Has anyone owned both of these guitars or at least tried them. 

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2336
    edited December 2020
    I've owned both, as well as a couple of city limits.

Both were great but obviously quite different.  The PRS should be easier to find used
  • I have a 594 singlecut semi-hollow.  The fairly chunky neck shape will be a matter of taste (although I imagine a primarily acoustic player would love it).  Apart from that I have no hesitation in saying that in terms of quality it's the finest guitar I've owned and I've owned a couple of DGTs, Suhrs, Tom Anderson, numerous Gibsons.  Does that make it my favourite guitar?  Alas, we're not alway that rational and I may have stronger preferences.  But it's the best.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 413
    edited December 2020
    I have both. They are quite different really. Both are great but obviously the 594 is going for the 50s singlecut tone and feel and the I35LC is going for a 335 tone. What they both have in common is they both aim to improve on the guitars they are chasing. 

Both are superbly built.
  • Collings said:
    I have both. They are quite different really. Both are great but obviously the 594 is going for the 50s singlecut tone and feel and the I35LC is going for a 335 tone. What they both have in common is they both aim to improve on the guitars they are chasing. 

Both are superbly built.
    If you had to have one as an all rounder which would you pick?
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 413
    edited December 2020
    Collings said:

Both are superbly built.
    For me it would be the I35LC however the 594 is maybe more versatile with it's greater range of tones so could maybe cover more bases.
  • Collings said:
    Collings said:

Both are superbly built.
    For me it would be the I35LC however the 594 is maybe more versatile with it's greater range of tones so could maybe cover more bases.
    Thanks
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10236
    I’ve never played a collings, but I’m on my 2nd 594 and I think they’re amazing guitars. I can’t imagine buying another Les Paul as I think the 594 nails that tone but is better in just about every way than the Gibson from pickups to build quality
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    If you are a strat guy, would you miss single coils?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Collings said:
    Collings said:

Both are superbly built.
    I've stocked/sold/played both and agree with above thoughts - I'd tend to support the i35 option if I was only allowed one
  • westwest Frets: 1021
    Can only speak about collings ... as a former 335 / 535 player i was keen to try the smaller bodied i35 ( solid wood )  i tried one at GG  and sonically i didnt care for it at all , hard sounding mid focused no life / spring ... six months later i got to try the laminate version i35 LC and wow what a difference everything the other one lacked was present ... i actually ended up with a Soco 15 lc used and its just the ticket for me a 15 single cut 335 laminate constructed thinline  beast ...
    The only thing i havnt done is play a  i35 lc and my soco back to back ... but im pretty stoked with what ive got ...  the quality is superb ! 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    west said:
    Can only speak about collings ... as a former 335 / 535 player i was keen to try the smaller bodied i35 ( solid wood )  i tried one at GG  and sonically i didnt care for it at all , hard sounding mid focused no life / spring ... six months later i got to try the laminate version i35 LC and wow what a difference everything the other one lacked was present ... i actually ended up with a Soco 15 lc used and its just the ticket for me a 15 single cut 335 laminate constructed thinline  beast ...
    The only thing i havnt done is play a  i35 lc and my soco back to back ... but im pretty stoked with what ive got ...  the quality is superb ! 
    agree about the LC version - I know they are expensive but there should be more praise for them then what we hear - Yet supply is very low so very few actually get to the dealers walls
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2336
    How about the 594 Semi-hollow or 594 Hollowbody ? 

They both look amazing  
  • Fishboy7 said:
    How about the 594 Semi-hollow or 594 Hollowbody ? 

They both look amazing  
    There is a nice one on gumtree but I think it’s too expensive. 
  • AflfAflf Frets: 24
    edited December 2020
    My personal experience:

594 Singlecut
    Pros: High Quality LP type guitar with great LP sounds (I liked it better than the current Gibson 60th anniversaries)
    Cons: Heavy, single coil sounds not that useful, volume below 9 cuts treble (too dull in my ears)

594 Semi Doublecut
    Pros: Sounds (incl. single coil), neck profile, weight
    Cons: yet to find =), maybe treble cut with volume below 9 as well (but not that prominent)

I35LC P90
    Pros: Sounds, neck, weight
    Cons: yet to find =)

Overall, the 594 Semi is the most versatile, imvho.