Bold as Love (Mayer version) theory project

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1381
Hi clever folks. Setting myself some homework. Not only to play but analyse BAL and understand the playing as it relates to the chord progression.

Tonights question is this. Btw, using standard tuning not Eb as per original.

The verse is:
A E F#m D
A E F#m D
D A Bmin G
D A Bmin G

The chorus is 
A E F#min G
A E D
A E F#min G
A E D

Outro is:
C G Amin F Repeated 3 times 
FFFFFF C repeated 3 times.

So working out the verse and chorus is in A major and is a:
I V vi IV twice
IV I ii bVII...... eh? What the hell is that G major doing there. So I recognise that it isn’t following diatonic harmony (and it’s Hendrix so why does it have to) and the G is a flat major 7 chord ( not a sharp 6 as we already have a min 6 chord).... can anyone explain the technical terminology for what the G is doing please?

the outro is a key change to a I V vi IV in C major. 

How am I doing?
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    As good as it is to know theory, some chords are just there because the writer thought it sounded cool. A flat 7 chord is very very common in rock and blues because it sounds cool. That's it really. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1381
    Danny1969 said:
    As good as it is to know theory, some chords are just there because the writer thought it sounded cool. A flat 7 chord is very very common in rock and blues because it sounds cool. That's it really. 
    Thanks @danny1969 - quite. There’s the G, G#, A in triplets as the transition between verse and chorus which is very cool. The exercise for me is about trying to map out what’s going on to understand and increase My knowledge. Just done (worked out and tabbed) the first 20secs and compared to the underlying progression the first observation Is that (I think) he is picking a lot of the root notes in different box positions and outlining a few sus 4 Chords.  More studying tomorrow night!
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3240
    edited December 2020
    You could see the second half of the verse as a key change to D...so you get your I V vi IV again.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    You could see the second half of the verse as a key change to D...so you get your I V vi IV again.
    My theory knowledge is poor but I'd say this is a brief key change to D too - which also explains the B minor, which obviously wouldn't be a natural selection if it was still in A.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    @digitalkettle @Hattigol Thanks, I hadn’t spotted that! 
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited December 2020
    Hattigol said:
    My theory knowledge is poor but I'd say this is a brief key change to D too - which also explains the B minor, which obviously wouldn't be a natural selection if it was still in A.

rsvmark said:
    @digitalkettle @Hattigol Thanks, I hadn’t spotted that! 

Yup a brief modulation to D. 

Btw, the Bm chord is is in A major too. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
     Yup a brief modulation to D. 

Btw, the Bm chord is is in A major too. 
    Thanks @viz Yup. I thought it was a iI chord if it had stayed in A. Sadly no homestudy this evening as have just finished work and am knackered. Back to it tomorrow
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    All I can say is....bloody hell its hard! Just about got to the end of the first verse. Can’t play it at all well. And JM sings at the same time..... muchos cudos to him!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    rsvmark said:
    All I can say is....bloody hell its hard! Just about got to the end of the first verse. Can’t play it at all well. And JM sings at the same time..... muchos cudos to him!
    Well JM is a beast at playing very complex parts and singing flawlessly at the same time. Some of the acoustic stuff like Neon, Stop this train, heart of life etc are good examples. Very very difficult parts to do but then to sing at the same time is quite something. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk