What's wrong with my ToM tail piece? - Fixed

What's Hot
abw1989abw1989 Frets: 658
edited December 2020 in Guitar
I took a punt on this Gibson Midtown based on the online pictures, and missed this in the pictures. The tailpiece studs are really high, fully screwed in, but the studs themselves are nearly 10mm above the top.

It's got a locking tailpiece which I don't think was standard, so I'm guessing some one bought an upgrade for an LP with a thicker body and top than the Midtown so has longer studs. Are they a thing?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6939
    They look like risers to me. Some kind of way to maintain as much possible contact with the body, for sustain purposes. I may be wrong however.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The studs aren’t usually brass... have you taken the tail piece off to see if they’re just bushings rather than the actual studs?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    edited December 2020
    Those are Tonepros bridge and tailpiece. Looks like someone has added collars so the tailpiece studs can be screwed fully tight without being too far down in relation to the bridge. The idea of the little Allen screws is to lock the tailpiece and bridge to their studs, so it's just an extension of the idea.

Looks like they also either overtightened the studs or didn't know that you shouldn't do it under string tension, and used the wrong tool too - they're a bit chewed up. The right tool is a coin, not a screwdriver...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 658
    Not had a chance to have them off yet, will be changing strings tomorrow so a better chance to investigate. I was just after a heads up as what to expect....!

I'm hoping as all above have said that they are a bushing/riser of some sort as it isn't that comfortable to play as I tend to have the tailpiece decked. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    abw1989 said:

I'm hoping as all above have said that they are a bushing/riser of some sort as it isn't that comfortable to play as I tend to have the tailpiece decked. 
    You might find that a problem given how high the bridge is - which is determined by the neck angle, so you can't lower it if the action isn't too high now.

But it does look like you should be able to get it a fair bit lower - it's OK as long as the strings are clear of the back edge of the bridge, and even if the top E touches.

Just remember to loosen the locking screws first, and the string tension, or you'll chew up the posts.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM I know you aren't a fan (I think...) but I also prefer to top wrap so that should work in my favour here I'm hoping.

Agree with the action too, it can definitely come down a little bit. 
    abw1989 said:
    @ICBM I know you aren't a fan (I think...) but I also prefer to top wrap so that should work in my favour here I'm hoping.
    I detest it, but it should work for you on this one :).

I would guess that you'll be able to get the tailpiece tight down like that - in fact, if you look at the gap under the tailpiece now and compare it to the height of the tailpiece above the strings, that's about the amount you'll gain by top-wrapping it.

• abw1989 said:

Agree with the action too, it can definitely come down a little bit. 
    Burn him! Burn him now

I top wrap too :-) fuck 'em
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2020
    Congrats to all those who said brass bushings of some sort, wis's duly awarded.

Now restrung and decked as per my preference. I've never come across bushings like this before, every day's a school day! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32402
    Someone put the bushings in so you don't need to top wrap.

Might be worth getting a new pair of nickel studs at some point too - as well as being chewed up, it just looks a bit odd with chrome ones and a nickel tailpiece.

@p90fool I agree, a neat solution but it just wasn't comfortable for my right hand having the tailpiece so high off the body.

@ICBM the worst part is the rest of the hardware is chrome not nickel....! 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Tbh I’ve never noticed a single bit o difference in sustain or tone with tailpiece height whether its slammed or fairly high. I used to keep it decked but when I tried recently on one I couldnt detect a difference so left it up a little. Not much tho. 

For me its way more about frets being level that gives a bigger difference. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    It's more about the comfort of playing rather than any perceived improvement in tone or playability. My right hand tends to sit on the strings in between the bridge and tailpiece and I just find it more comfortable with the tailpiece decked.

It's why I don't get on with Strats or Teles, I can't find any where to anchor my right hand when I need to! 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32402
    abw1989 said:
    @p90fool I agree, a neat solution but it just wasn't comfortable for my right hand having the tailpiece so high off the body.

@ICBM the worst part is the rest of the hardware is chrome not nickel....! 
    Fair enough @abw1989 I'm quite picky about right hand comfort these days too, in fact I really struggle with Junior-style wraparound bridges these days, I like a TOM in the right place. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    tailpiece height RELATIVE  to bridge height affects feel/percieved string tension.

you also don't want hard tension on the back edge of a TOM bridge - think it accelerates the collapse of the bridge and loss of radius.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Of course, none of this would be an issue if they just made them with the correct neck angle...

• normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    I've often thought of using similar albeit shorter spacers on one of my guitars where the tailpiece can't get anywhere near all the way down.