Liam Gallagher: Down By The River Thames

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• chris78 said:
    Michael Stipe, Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell, Bono, Thom Yorke, Chris Martin, Matt Bellamy...

I'm far from trying to argue Oasis weren't great, but Liam is king of "just standing there and singing".
    Reasonable post until you mentioned Chris Martin......
    Or Matt Bellamy. 

Joking aside, all great frontmen but none have still have thousands of idiots dressing like them like Liam does. None of them created an era defining Genre, but YMMV. 

And I'm not convinced ripping off Slade and T-Rex can really be described as "defining a genre", but in any case it was Noel's doing - he wrote the songs!! :P 

Any anyone dissing CM has obviously never been to a Coldplay show. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335 said:
    Hattigol said:
    How anyone can bear to watch or listen to that irrelevant, caricatured, half-witted, outdated bell-end amongst bell-ends is completely beyond me.
    I should have watched the more relevant and era defining @Hattigol concert then  =)

Not a fan then lol. Each to their own but love them or hate them nobody can dismiss Oasis as irrelevant. I picked up a guitar for no other reason than wanting to play Oasis songs and I know tons of people from my age group who are the same.

I’m not knocking anyone else’s taste, people like what they like. But millions of people would consider Oasis as not relevant to their own musical interests. If I made a list of musicians who mattered most to me they wouldn’t be in the top 1000.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited December 2020
    I always thought noel was the sensible decent one as well until I watched the doc movie. He's obviously well jealous of Liam and pretty petty about it. 
  • chris78 said:
    Michael Stipe, Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell, Bono, Thom Yorke, Chris Martin, Matt Bellamy...

I'm far from trying to argue Oasis weren't great, but Liam is king of "just standing there and singing".
    Reasonable post until you mentioned Chris Martin......
    Or Matt Bellamy. 

Joking aside, all great frontmen but none have still have thousands of idiots dressing like them like Liam does. None of them created an era defining Genre, but YMMV. 

And I'm not convinced ripping off Slade and T-Rex can really be described as "defining a genre",

Any anyone dissing CM has obviously never been to a Coldplay show. 
    Ive been toa number of  Coldplay shows, from 2001 to 2018. Even with Guest list I felt ripped off. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2040
    edited December 2020
    CMW335 said:
    Hattigol said:
    How anyone can bear to watch or listen to that irrelevant, caricatured, half-witted, outdated bell-end amongst bell-ends is completely beyond me.
    I should have watched the more relevant and era defining @Hattigol concert then 

Not a fan then lol. Each to their own but love them or hate them nobody can dismiss Oasis as irrelevant. I picked up a guitar for no other reason than wanting to play Oasis songs and I know tons of people from my age group who are the same.

I’m not knocking anyone else’s taste, people like what they like. But millions of people would consider Oasis as not relevant to their own musical interests. If I made a list of musicians who mattered most to me they wouldn’t be in the top 1000.

Well you could say that about any band but whether you or I personally like or are influenced by a musician or not doesn't detract from what they have achieved so my point stands that you can't dismiss them as irrelevant to the music industry especially in the 90s. It's unlikely the post I was responding to has anything to do with musical ability or success at all but is just someone who has a dislike for Liam as a person and came onto this thread with the sole intention of knocking someone else's taste and did so in quite an ignorant and arrogant manner. Luckily since then he has found the festive spirit so don't wish to stir that pot again 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2592
    edited December 2020
    CMW335 said:
    CMW335 said:
    Hattigol said:

Well you could say that about any band but whether you or I personally like or are influenced by a musician or not doesn't detract from what they have achieved so my point stands that you can't dismiss them as irrelevant to the music industry especially in the 90s. It's unlikely the post I was responding to has anything to do with musical ability or success at all but is just someone who has a dislike for Liam as a person and came onto this thread with the sole intention of knocking someone else's taste and did so in quite an ignorant and arrogant manner. Luckily since then he has found the festive spirit so don't wish to stir that pot again 

You said "nobody can dismiss Oasis as irrelevant". 

You didn't say "no-one could deny that Oasis were relevant to the music industry in the 90s", a very different proposition.  I'm sure they were quite relevant to the industry, although nowhere near as relevant as the major selling artists of the period like Garth Brooks or Celine Dion or The Backstreet Boys or Shania Twain or Britney Spears.  

None of whom are relevant to me either, although if forced at gun point I'd rather listen to them than Oasis.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Oasis are the reason I started playing the guitar. It was their music that taught me most of what I know now (pre Internet/youtube/online tab info etc). This came at a dark time in my life when I was suffering heavily from depression and couldn’t see a way out. For me yes, their music means something to me. And I’ve never stopped listening to them. At the time, no other band was releasing proper anthem music for the people. The intro of  “Some might say” played at volume through a good set of speakers is something that will always put a smile on my face.

It is entirely possible to dislike a band without having a pop at the band and the fans. I’m not a massive fan of lager, I don’t suit bucket hats although I enjoy some Pretty Green clothing. I’m not a Neanderthal though. Neither are any of the members who have played in Oasis. 

I think it’s fantastic that Liam is back making music and wants to keep doing what he loves. Noel’s first two albums are amazing but he’s lost me a bit now with his new direction. I didn’t think Oasis would have made it this far but I certainly knew that Liam and Noel would still be making music. And I for one at glad that they are. 

And to touch on a point from above, even Noel has stated several times that individually no one from Oasis were stand out musicians. But when they came together they were at the top in the mid 90s. Realistically, oasis couldn’t have done what they did without Alan McGee, Owen Morris, the Real People and Mark Coyle. Doesn’t take away from the music to me though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    CMW335 said:
    CMW335 said:
    Hattigol said:

You said "nobody can dismiss Oasis as irrelevant". 

You didn't say "no-one could deny that Oasis were relevant to the music industry in the 90s", a very different proposition.  I'm sure they were quite relevant to the industry, although nowhere near as relevant as the major selling artists of the period like Garth Brooks or Celine Dion or The Backstreet Boys or Shania Twain or Britney Spears.  

None of whom are relevant to me either, although if forced at gun point I'd rather listen to them than Oasis.
    It's not different at all, it's exactly what I am saying. When talking about a musician being relevant or not we are commonly taking about their contribution to music and the wider public not just one single person and I think it's clear what I meant. So my point was you can love them or hate them but you can't deny what they achieved in terms of success therefore nobody can dismiss them as irrelevant.
    edited December 2020
    Oasis are the reason I started playing the guitar. It was their music that taught me most of what I know now (pre Internet/youtube/online tab info etc). This came at a dark time in my life when I was suffering heavily from depression and couldn’t see a way out. For me yes, their music means something to me. And I’ve never stopped listening to them. At the time, no other band was releasing proper anthem music for the people. The intro of  “Some might say” played at volume through a good set of speakers is something that will always put a smile on my face.

It is entirely possible to dislike a band without having a pop at the band and the fans. I’m not a massive fan of lager, I don’t suit bucket hats although I enjoy some Pretty Green clothing. I’m not a Neanderthal though. Neither are any of the members who have played in Oasis. 

I think it’s fantastic that Liam is back making music and wants to keep doing what he loves. Noel’s first two albums are amazing but he’s lost me a bit now with his new direction. I didn’t think Oasis would have made it this far but I certainly knew that Liam and Noel would still be making music. And I for one at glad that they are. 

And to touch on a point from above, even Noel has stated several times that individually no one from Oasis were stand out musicians. But when they came together they were at the top in the mid 90s. Realistically, oasis couldn’t have done what they did without Alan McGee, Owen Morris, the Real People and Mark Coyle. Doesn’t take away from the music to me though.
    Great post which completely resonates with me and I am certain a lot of people from my age group and more. I have noticed it just seems fashionable to some to bash them and I have had many a conversation with people who don't like them and it went along the lines of

Them: "I hate Oasis they are shite"
    Me: "Have you heard The Masterplan or Talk Tonight?"
    Them: "I haven't listened to any of there songs I just don't like the 2 brothers"

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18722
    edited December 2020
    I actually heard Liam's new tune ‘All You’re Dreaming Of’ on Radio 2 as a captive audience in the doctors waiting room on Friday.
    Got to say that I found it a hackneyed cliched pastiche of John Lennon tunes.
    I still love 'Definitely Maybe' & many Oasis songs so I have no polarised position, just a listener 

I actually heard Liam's new tune ‘All You’re Dreaming Of’ on Radio 2 as a captive audience in the doctors waiting room on Friday.
    Got to say that I found it a hackneyed cliched pastiche of John Lennon tunes.
    I still love 'Definitely Maybe' & many Oasis songs so I have no polarised position, just a listener   
    I actually like it and absolutely loved "Once" but early Oasis were a different level of course. Noel is nowhere near as prolific now and has released some stuff I haven't quite taken to but he still has it in him to produce the occasional cracker for example Dead In The Water from his last album 
  • I adore the first 2 Oasis records plus the Masterplan, and like various songs right through to Dig Out Your Soul. They were HUGELY important to my generation - there’s no doubt there and anyone arguing otherwise is an idiot.

But they also weren’t the best band ever, had some seriously patchy output in the mid-to-latter period and both Gallaghers clearly have a history of being knob heads. 

Let there be love...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • The first 2 albums are amongst the best of any rock band imho. Unfortunately after that I lost interest . Managed to see them live twice when I lived in NYC and Liam added such a presence . Without him I think Noel would have been just a good songwriter flogging stuff to other artists 
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 442
    One persons caviar is another persons pork scratchings, no right no wrong, you dig it, you don’t.
    Peace brothers  
    russpm said:
    One persons caviar is another persons pork scratchings, no right no wrong, you dig it, you don’t.
    Peace brothers  
    Ironic term for a thread about the Gallagher’s  =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    CMW335 said:
     have noticed it just seems fashionable to some to bash them...

ESPECIALLY amongst musicians for some reason, who I would have thought would understand the beauty in simplicity of the whole Oasis sound better than most.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • They were pretty decent live. I wasn't a big fan but I saw them at Loch lomond with a mate who was and thought it was really good.
  • CMW335 said:

ESPECIALLY amongst musicians for some reason, who I would have thought would understand the beauty in simplicity of the whole Oasis sound better than most.
    Its only simple until you play them. 

I play in a Noel Tribute band and couldn't believe the complexity of some later tunes. Ok, its no Dream Theater, but theres some interesting stuff going on in the likes of 'Falling down' or 'turn up the sun'.  
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    CMW335 said:

Its only simple until you play them. 

I play in a Noel Tribute band and couldn't believe the complexity of some later tunes. Ok, its no Dream Theater, but theres some interesting stuff going on in the likes of 'Falling down' or 'turn up the sun'.  
    I did one dep gig with them on bass a while before you joined, at pretty short notice in the middle of a busy period with basically no time to prep. All the old Oasis tunes just rolled straight off my fingers with barely a second thought but some of the new Noel stuff totally threw me