Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Well, that solo was a bit painful .....

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
I see people moaning about Kirk Hammett's playing quite a lot, I've never been into Metallica but I kind of think well he's a multi millionaire and you lot aren't!

But then once in a while something turns up and I think .... ouch! that really isn't so good. This solo kicks off at about 3 mins, am I wrong or is it just a bit amateur hour? Sounds more like me!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• He’s just jammin 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I thought it was alright.  What a strange assemblage of musicians!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I don't get the "he's rich and you're not" snipe - I'm a customer of his band and if I think the product isn't up to much, then I'll criticise it.

Same as if I bought any other product which didn't meet expectations.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Has any good ever come of these team-up shows where you have about 74 guitarists on stage AND an organ...?!  I'm not sure why they needed Starkey at the back helping Mr Fleetwood either.

(Yes, obviously apart from this one...)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    I don't actually think Princes player above is any better than Kirks to be fair. I know we're all meant to think he's a genius but that's actually pretty average playing  IMHO
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited December 2020
    I actually thought Kirk’s actual playing technique was pretty good there; it was quite varied, pretty accurate and he committed himself fully which is what you want from a live performance. All the more impressive with so little reverb / delay. But mixing dorian and aeolian - yuk that always sounds horrible!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Kirk, Jonny Lang, Rick Vito, Mick Fleetwood, Billy Gibbons, Andy Fairweather Lowe (?), Zack Starkey ( based on a comment above) and no idea on the bassist. 
    If it wasn’t for owning Green’s old guitar I guess Kirk would be the odd one out. 
    Lang seems to turn up at a lot of these things as a sort of perpetual side kick. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    I thought it suited the song.  If he’d gone all shreddy Kirk Hammett it would’ve been out of place.
  • For what was the climax of that one off show I thought the song deserved better than that.  Not his best performance. 
    Philly_Q said:
    Kirk, Jonny Lang, Rick Vito, Mick Fleetwood, Billy Gibbons, Andy Fairweather Lowe (?), Zack Starkey ( based on a comment above) and no idea on the bassist
    If it wasn’t for owning Green’s old guitar I guess Kirk would be the odd one out. 
    Lang seems to turn up at a lot of these things as a sort of perpetual side kick. 
    It's Eric Clapton, isn't it?

• Racket.
    I do like Ringo's stuff.
    (Mind you, this is also one of my all-tim favourite songs too.)

• Not my favourite player......but that was pretty bad.  If some kid on Youtube played that exact same solo he'd get ripped to shreds for it.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    edited December 2020
    axisus said:
    I see people moaning about Kirk Hammett's playing quite a lot, I've never been into Metallica but I kind of think well he's a multi millionaire and you lot aren't!

But then once in a while something turns up and I think .... ouch! that really isn't so good. This solo kicks off at about 3 mins, am I wrong or is it just a bit amateur hour?
    Yes it is - apart from Fleetwood and Hammett, who are great, Hammett especially. Because they're the only ones approaching it with any kind of passion and attitude. The rest of them sound like the house band at a club jam night... yawn. And Gibbons is awful.

It's a dark, angry song and it's not meant to be pretty - Hammett gets it... or as Fleetwood says at the end "Green Manalishi - nailed it." Sorry if that might offend some of you .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Philly_Q said:
    Kirk, Jonny Lang, Rick Vito, Mick Fleetwood, Billy Gibbons, Andy Fairweather Lowe (?), Zack Starkey ( based on a comment above) and no idea on the bassist
    It's Dave Bronze.  I always recognise him on these things because he used to play with Robin Trower.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    It's Dave Bronze.  I always recognise him on these things because he used to play with Robin Trower.
    Ahh, he is a busy bloke. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Ahh, he is a busy bloke. 
    He's probably the bloke you can rely on to learn all the chords and the parts so the rest of legends can just noodle in key here and there :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • One of his better efforts surely. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    I remember the old Guitar World etc. magazines & he always had multiple solos in the Top 100 lists.
    Am not a big Metallica fan, but what has happened to him? 
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    I don’t think I’ve listened to more than 3 Metallica songs in my life but I quite enjoyed that. The mix was a bit rubbish but it was played with passion.