Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar World Young Guitarist of the Year

What's Hot
BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
Some seriously talented young players on here - with kids like these perhaps the future of guitar is much better than we thought.
well done to each one of them!

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/introducing-your-young-guitarist-of-the-year-2020-finalists
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• All very good players who have put in the hours. I wonder what the future holds for them? There are so many virtuoso guitarists now it must be hard to find a career path.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I wish these youngsters weren't so good. It makes finding work for mediocre players like me so much harder.
    I'd make it illegal for kids to take up guitar.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 628
    Some great technical young guitarists about but I often think lot have missed the the musical factor part of it associated with the blues usually ..and went straight to shred mode ...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Barney said:
    Some great technical young guitarists about but I often think lot have missed the the musical factor part of it associated with the blues usually ..and went straight to shred mode ...
    Is blues more musical? 

I find a lot to enjoy in classical Bach and modern metal, and I don't find it musically or emotionally lacking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 628
    Barney said:
    Is blues more musical? 

I find a lot to enjoy in classical Bach and modern metal, and I don't find it musically or emotionally lacking.
    I suppose it depends what you listen to really ...I can always tell the players that have missed that side of it though and went straight to shred ..I find emotion in classical but not normally modern metal ...I could be listening to the wrong things though 
    They're all very skilled but they also all sounded the same.
    FWIW  I preferred the Finish chap, Huno, I think he's called.
  • Technically they are all very good but you could stitch all the videos together and you’d think it was one track. 

I do wonder if this style of playing brings about a successful career in music...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25112
    edited December 2020
    They're all extremely impressive, and crikey they really are young - I was expecting a load of twenty-somethings. 

But I found it hard work listening to all five in succession.

That's nothing to do with their musical styles - and I don't think they all sound the same - it's just my problem with instrumental music in general, especially when they're playing over backing tracks rather than jamming with other musicians.

(Three of them quote Plini as an influence - embarrassingly, I've never heard of him.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32402
    Very skillful, but a bit depressing hearing a load of children stuck in the 1990s. 

I suppose there hasn't really been any development in guitar music since then, or at least not enough to hang a stunt contest on, anyway.  

They're very talented though, and I'm sure at least a couple of them will find their own path.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    Why is it always shred? Is that the only way to impress a judge? 
  • At least they haven’t been spending their valuable childhood constantly staring at their phones :) Not my style of playing at all and agree with some comments above about emotion and always a shred fest. I just hate that fizzy sound.  It does feel a bit of a circus act sometimes. But then again I felt that at a Bonnamassa gig I went to once. Guitar solos can get a bit tedious after a while when there’s no song to them ;) 

Im sure we’ll hear more from some of them in the future though. I wish them luck. It’s a saturated market out there now 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    p90fool said:
    Very skillful, but a bit depressing hearing a load of children stuck in the 1990s. 

I suppose there hasn't really been any development in guitar music since then, or at least not enough to hang a stunt contest on, anyway.  

They're very talented though, and I'm sure at least a couple of them will find their own path.
    https://youtu.be/RXGwVJCdV6A
  • p90fool said:

https://youtu.be/RXGwVJCdV6A
    Nice video :) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Sassafras said:
    They're all very skilled but they also all sounded the same.
    FWIW  I preferred the Finish chap, Huno, I think he's called.
    I don’t really care for this kind of thing but had a look out of curiosity. Impressive skills but nothing that really interested me, although technically amazing.  However, I’m really not sure why you think they all sound the same though  :o
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16679
    All great but they all play the same kind of processed shreddy guitar
    shame no Country players or Jazz styles 
    Personally I find that kind of music that I can't hum or whistle the tune of to be very much the elevator music of the future
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I suppose it's the nature of competitive musicianship that you have to impress the judges with flashy fretboard pyrotechnics.
    That's why I thought they all sounded the same. That and the horribly compressed and processed to buggery sound.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6939
    edited December 2020
    Young Athlete of the Year. 

Canned, processed, chopped up into bit sized pieces, flavoured, tinned, shrink-wrapped etc etc. 

Good luck to them though. Hopefully a little maturity will help them find something to actually say. Outside of the mass marketed, mass media, digital related playground. 

And I really hope they find that space and do well. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    They are very impressive, far better than when I was a kid. I know they are all shredders, but lets be honest they are super young. Its a tad unfair to expect them to be nuanced composers. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I so loved that style of music for years, technically amazing players. I have to admit though that I reached saturation point some years ago, and now I don't feel inclined to even click on the link. There are just too many 'amazing' players now, I'm not that excited by it any more. I need something more emotive. 

My favourite guitar solo this year is a slow one from Pendragon. Nothing difficult going on at all but it conveys emotion.
  • Philly_Q said:
    (Three of them quote Plini as an influence - embarrassingly, I've never heard of him.)
    Why's that embarrassing? I've never heard of him either and, frankly, don't want to. We all have different tastes but this kind of music is not something I'd ever choose to listen to. Are these really the best young guitar players that this magazine can come up with? Are there no young bluegrass, 'roots' or classical players worthy of inclusion? In truth, I don't know this magazine – is it some kind of shreddy metal focussed publication?