Buzzing B string

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
edited December 2020 in Acoustics
So I bought a Taylor 710e on Tuesday from my local shop. Playing it today I notice that the open B string has quite a buzz to it - noticeable on single note and chords. What could be the cause of this? Is it worth taking it back for them to look at it?

Interestingly, it's worse when I do a downstroke rather than up.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Benm39Benm39 Frets: 696
    Probably something that can be solved by a setup... maybe a high fret , neck relief or the nut...
  • I've been in touch with the shop and their tech guy is in net Thursday so will pop it in for him to take away and look at. The B and top E are drifting out of tune a bit so I guess it's the nut. 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 727
    I agree a new setup should sort most things out if it's a fretboard buzz from too low an action, strings which are too light, a loose or badly set fret or neck relief (often related to variations in humidity). But don't forget loose top braces can cause buzzes too and so can loose hardware such as wires, bolts, screws etc. Hint - such buzzes are often difficult to localise and can travel away from the point of origin at their resonant frequency. Once in a blue moon a buzz comes from a tuner too. Take the tuner off the headstock and hey presto! 
  • DavidR said:
    I agree a new setup should sort most things out if it's a fretboard buzz from too low an action, strings which are too light, a loose or badly set fret or neck relief (often related to variations in humidity). But don't forget loose top braces can cause buzzes too and so can loose hardware such as wires, bolts, screws etc. Hint - such buzzes are often difficult to localise and can travel away from the point of origin at their resonant frequency. Once in a blue moon a buzz comes from a tuner too. Take the tuner off the headstock and hey presto! 
    I imagine it is just the nut as it's only just that string. Interestingly, when I have the capo anywhere above fret 5 the buzz goes so could be relief too?
  • DavidR said:
    I imagine it is just the nut as it's only just that string. Interestingly, when I have the capo anywhere above fret 5 the buzz goes so could be relief too?
    The b string nut slot could be too low. Have you checked the nut action by fretting at the 3rd fret and checking for clearance above the first fret?
  • DavidR said:
    The b string nut slot could be too low. Have you checked the nut action by fretting at the 3rd fret and checking for clearance above the first fret?
    There is a tiny bit of clearance - not much but about the same as on my other acoustics. 
  • It is most noticeable when I pick the string with my thumb - much more prominent that when using a plectrum. Not sure why that might be 
  • So I took the guitar back to the shop and their tech guy had a quick looks and made some truss rod adjustments. I needed it back for over `Christmas so left it as I’d see how it goes and would take it back for a full investigation and set up if needs be. 
    We’re now in tier 4 so I’m going to have to hold on for now but the other day I plucked the B string again and it was possibly a bit more buzzy. If I pressed down on the bridge pin though, it pretty much went away. Any ideas?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    So I took the guitar back to the shop and their tech guy had a quick looks and made some truss rod adjustments. I needed it back for over `Christmas so left it as I’d see how it goes and would take it back for a full investigation and set up if needs be. 
    We’re now in tier 4 so I’m going to have to hold on for now but the other day I plucked the B string again and it was possibly a bit more buzzy. If I pressed down on the bridge pin though, it pretty much went away. Any ideas?
    Try changing the string.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• DavidRDavidR Frets: 727
    This is getting annoying for you! Try some new bridge pins? Also perhaps some slightly heavier strings? Then have an experienced luthier look under the bridge at the bracing and construction and recheck the neck relief and setup again. Getting a bit expensive but worth it if you like this guitar. Happy NY.
  • DavidR said:
    This is getting annoying for you! Try some new bridge pins? Also perhaps some slightly heavier strings? Then have an experienced luthier look under the bridge at the bracing and construction and recheck the neck relief and setup again. Getting a bit expensive but worth it if you like this guitar. Happy NY.
    Thanks. The set up offered by the store won't cost me anything so just waiting for them to reopen. Will just have to wait and see. Will change strings too like @ICBM suggests and see if that helps 
  • mdfiremdfire Frets: 2
    I had this last year on an electric where the e string was buzzing. It was the nut. If you press on the string between the nut and the machine head and then play the string, the buzzing should disappear. Reason some electrics have string trees.
  • mdfire said:
    I had this last year on an electric where the e string was buzzing. It was the nut. If you press on the string between the nut and the machine head and then play the string, the buzzing should disappear. Reason some electrics have string trees.

If that works, look at how the string is wound onto the machine head post. It might simply need to be wound so the progress is down.
    lincolnblue said:

Will change strings too like @ICBM suggests and see if that helps 
    Not all the strings, just the B.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• It's been a long time as I've had lots on lately including a new son so I've only just come round to changing strings on this. The buzz on the B is still there when plucking with flesh part of thumb. I've tried to capture it on video- hopefully it comes across. It also buzzes when fretting the A (10th fret).
    I have been in touch with Taylor who said it can go back to them under warranty when my local store open again but just curious if anyone gas any idea what the problem might be?

If it was a cheap guitar I'd not be bothered but when I spent almost £2k I want it right 
    That’s really bad, much worse than what I was expecting. I’d be bothered even on a cheap guitar...

It sounds like something loose to me, not like fret buzz or a nut groove problem. (Although these things can sometimes be deceptive.)

Check all the machinehead parts - keys, collars and washers under them. Take the truss rod cover off, and also check the truss rod isn’t loose.

If it’s not that and it’s got electronics, check the battery holder (take it out) - these are notorious for it. If it’s nothing you can get at from the outside, it may be something in the wiring.

• ICBM said:
    That’s really bad, much worse than what I was expecting. I’d be bothered even on a cheap guitar...

It sounds like something loose to me, not like fret buzz or a nut groove problem. (Although these things can sometimes be deceptive.)

Check all the machinehead parts - keys, collars and washers under them. Take the truss rod cover off, and also check the truss rod isn’t loose.

If it’s not that and it’s got electronics, check the battery holder (take it out) - these are notorious for it. If it’s nothing you can get at from the outside, it may be something in the wiring.
    Glad it's not just me! Fortunately I've been in touch with Taylor who have agreed to look at it for me. It's strange that it only really occurs when using the flesh of my thumb.

I checked the battery holder and that seems ok - I'll look at the other things. If I press down on the bridge pin when plucking, it diminishes so I wonder if it is something to do with the pickup wiring maybe? 

The good thing is that you could hear it (so I know I'm not mad!). Hopefully it'll be an easy fix by Taylor - if not then they can sort something for me - refund etc. It's one of those things that now I know it's there, I can't un-hear it.
    lincolnblue said:

Glad it's not just me! Fortunately I've been in touch with Taylor who have agreed to look at it for me. It's strange that it only really occurs when using the flesh of my thumb. 

I checked the battery holder and that seems ok - I'll look at the other things. If I press down on the bridge pin when plucking, it diminishes so I wonder if it is something to do with the pickup wiring maybe? 

The good thing is that you could hear it (so I know I'm not mad!). Hopefully it'll be an easy fix by Taylor - if not then they can sort something for me - refund etc. It's one of those things that now I know it's there, I can't un-hear it.
    It's not subtle :).

Yes, I think pressing on the bridge pin may be a clue that it's something to do with the pickup or wiring. It's odd that it only occurs when you play below the 5th fret, but sometimes this sort of resonance is quite odd and needs a very specific vibration to trigger it.

• I've only just read this thread, so perhaps I'm missing a point here, and I'm sorry for your troubles, but if I spend £2k on a mass-produced guitar and it's not perfect it's going straight back for a refund/exchange. It's not like Taylors are thin on the ground.
  • I've only just read this thread, so perhaps I'm missing a point here, and I'm sorry for your troubles, but if I spend £2k on a mass-produced guitar and it's not perfect it's going straight back for a refund/exchange. It's not like Taylors are thin on the ground.
    I think I'm happy to give Taylor the chance to fix it. The thing is too, I spent £1,800 on it, but it's a discontinued model which was £1k more when they were on the market so I got a much better guitar for £1,800 than if I got a refund and bought something else. OTherwise I'd have asked for a refund straight away