Steven Wilson gigs

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15923
Tickets on sale soon for end of next year gigs...ya dancer

Saw his last show....FAB!
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I expect this one will be very different. His original plan pre covid was 2 big ‘immersive experiences’ at the o2. I think a lot of PT fans might be put off judging by the latest album.

Got my tickets for Hammersmith anyway!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I expect this one will be very different. His original plan pre covid was 2 big ‘immersive experiences’ at the o2. I think a lot of PT fans might be put off judging by the latest album.
    I bought a ticket for that way in advance. Then I heard his new material and read an interview where he said he was a bit bored with virtuosos now. To be honest I was glad to get my money refunded on the ticket!

He's moved away from the kind of music that I would pay £50 to see now.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    The thing that confuses me about him is that for the last 10 years he's done and said stuff that seems to put off all his fans, and yet to me him music's followed a pretty linear path with no massive out of left field shifts at all - it all sounds like him, just with shades of whatever he's into at that moment - be it prog, jazz, electro, accessible melodies.

I don't know why he needs to say the things that shake off fans to do that.
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited December 2020
    It will interesting to see what Steven’s new album sounds like when it’s eventually released next month.
    Ive had the limited edition live vinyl album release of the new album tour on pre order since October 2019
    So taking a wild guess it’s probably going to be the longest paid for pre order in history 2022 ?
  • Cirrus said:
    The thing that confuses me about him is that for the last 10 years he's done and said stuff that seems to put off all his fans, and yet to me him music's followed a pretty linear path with no massive out of left field shifts at all - it all sounds like him, just with shades of whatever he's into at that moment - be it prog, jazz, electro, accessible melodies.
    I agree. The last album 'To the Bone' was for me the most different to all of his previous releases and this seems another step in that direction. More concise, less instrumentals etc. 

On his last tour it struck me that the crowd wasn't really into what he was trying to do. I was at the RAH for the night he filmed the DVD and a lot of attempts to fire up the crowd were cut out. There is one point where he shouts 'enthusiasm!' that was left in but I think he was a bit disappointed with the sat down completely still and silent group of 45+ men in front of him.

Maybe this is an attempt to change his target audience? The haircut, the comments about losing interest in the virtuosos, the shift further away from PT and 'prog' as we know it.

The trouble would be straying too far and risking putting off your existing audience and not capturing a new one, hence it still seems very SW esque.

Funnily enough I just read that he will be performing an extended edition of Voyage 34 on this tour which doesn't fit the narrative at all!
    edited December 2020
    Many of Steven Wilson’s diehard fans hated To the Bone.
    Not depressing or dark enough for them.
    Personally I thought it was a brilliant change from the dark side A great happy album.
    The live BluRay enforced it for me brilliant fun show.
    I wish I could of seen it live.
    If the new concerts go ahead and he does play Voyage 34 those going are in for a real treat to see and hear that brilliant album played live.

Voyage to the bottom of the road is another great Voyage related record by the brilliant HMHB

• I saw both of his TTB shows in Zürich and I would say they went down very well. A lot of people went to both. The only song that really died in both shows was permanating.  It was so out of keeping with the other songs and felt like a very poor attempt at a  pop song.

He does seem to be one of those people who wants to explore various musical avenues, and his new album is certainly a big step into a synth driven world - I am just not sure that he is as good at it as others and his core fan base seem to hate it judging by the comments under every release.

edited December 2020
    Permanating is his Pop Song.
    He says live The Beatles are the greatest Pop band ever
    Abba were the second greatest pop band.
    I have a Pop song and goes into Permanating.
    It is a excellent Pop song..
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15923
    ticke(t) booked

anybuddy else prefer going to concerts on their own?
    tae be or not tae be
  • Mudcrutch said:
    Many of Steven Wilson’s diehard fans hated To the Bone.
    Not depressing or dark enough for them.
    Personally I thought it was a brilliant change from the dark side A great happy album.
    The live BluRay enforced it for me brilliant fun show.
    I wish I could of seen it live.
    If the new concerts go ahead and he does play Voyage 34 those going are in for a real treat to see and hear that brilliant album played live.

Voyage to the bottom of the road is another great Voyage related record by the brilliant HMHB

Don't get me wrong, the was no sense that the crowd lifeless but it just seemed like SW wanted a bit more of a reaction other than the polite clapping from seated men and their begrudgingly attending wives. Especially to Permanating that had the belly dancers and powder throwing. 

The crowd was noticeably more into it when Arriving Somewhere and Musak came up. I can imagine that is a bit disheartening when that was all 15 years ago and you are so proud of your most recent output.
  • Hootsmon said:
    ticke(t) booked

I have done loads, great for seated venues as you can usually get a really good ticket between larger bookings. I had front or second row for SW's last two tours.
    edited December 2020
    I’ve seen Porcupine Tree Live with many friends girlfriends and wives.
    Always brilliant concerts and great albums.
    Steven’s first solo albums are good but bloody hard work at times.
    His first two No-Man albums are brilliant.
    His first two Blackfield albums are par excellence.
    Being a fan of Steven Wilson’s Music can end up costing one a shit load of money.
    Even more if you like what he does as a producer engineer and re mixer of other great artists and bands that let him loose on there classic album masterpieces.
  • Hootsmon said:
    ticke(t) booked

Yes, I nearly always go to gigs on my own. 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15923
    My reason is a kinda odd one......if i invite someone to a gig i kinda feel responsible for them having a good time
    tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • the man who single handedly destroyed opeth...meh..pass. Bring back PT and we can talk. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the man who single handedly destroyed opeth...meh..pass. Bring back PT and we can talk. 
    Really? I’ve been revisiting their catalogue recently and I actually think he improved them. While I still like the old stuff it seems unfocused compared to Deliverance, BWP and Damnation. That’s where they peaked imo, though Watershed is pretty strong also.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    the man who single handedly destroyed opeth...meh..pass. Bring back PT and we can talk. 
    Didn't that happen when they decided they were a 70s prog band?

My favourite Opeth albums are the SW ones, but I don't really like Porcupine Tree or any of his solo stuff. His voice is a bit too English for me or something.