a story

DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 345
edited December 2020 in Guitar

some of you may recall that a few months back I was bemoaning the development of a painful arthritic condition in my left thumb which had called a halt to my guitar playing and had the potential to bring a premature end to my playing and music making for good.
Whilst deeply unhappy at this potential outcome I sought a proper diagnosis and medical advice but in the meantime sold all but two of my guitars and most of my associated musical equipment, amplifiers, pedals etc. I was preparing myself for the worst but still had hope that something could be done to fix me.
I am very pleased to say that I am on now the mend following help, treatment and support from a number of musicians and medical professionals and slowly but surely I am making progress due to daily exercises and some positive thinking. I am even writing songs again [albeit in my head] and if things continue to progress lets see what exciting new musical endeavours the New Year brings. A clean slate and all manner of new music waiting to burst forward from my fingers. I am happy.
Anyway my point in relating to you all this tale is several months of guitar related exercise and practise has been with my electric guitar unplugged and yesterday I tried plugging in. A low volume clean sound without effects I was massively surprised how much much I had lost any sense of dynamics and playing through the amp.
Clearly as my dexterity improves there is much more to be relearnt in terms of touch and dynamics as I try and reclaim the right to think of myself as a musician.

A big thank you to those who have and who continue to help me on this journey

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Good news that you did not give up the fight and right to play guitar - I dare say the physio staff think it is good for your finger mobility to still play - I've known many customers, over the years, with similar issues and even a couple of customers who have had a broken wrist and/or finger, go through such work - Often now with a lighter set of strings and/or action, so hence more of an easy touch required to make the note

Keep up the good work and keep us updated 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's great news, congratulations! And all the best for your continued recovery :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• TitchTitch Frets: 46
    Very good news, pleased your on the mend.