Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ritchie Blackmore's Syrup

What's Hot

Comments

• I'm about to watch Shakin Stevens on The Last Leg. Unless he's ditched the Grecian 2000 recently he's another 72 year old with an unlikely barnet. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hootsmon said:
    Jeff Beck they say....
    I had a wee with Jeff after a Beth Hart gig. Not a syrup. Hair dye. 

• I'm about to watch Shakin Stevens on The Last Leg. Unless he's ditched the Grecian 2000 recently he's another 72 year old with an unlikely barnet. 
    ...and he did not disappoint. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBM said:
    I saw Rainbow a few years ago, and even from halfway to the back of the Glasgow Hydro it was obviously a wig. There’s no way any 72-year-old man has that thick a head of hair, dyed or not.
    My maternal grandfather actually did all the way through to his death at 77.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    ICBM said:
    I saw Rainbow a few years ago, and even from halfway to the back of the Glasgow Hydro it was obviously a wig. There’s no way any 72-year-old man has that thick a head of hair, dyed or not.
    Was he a Fender or a Gibson guy?

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24994
    ICBM said:
    My dad still had a full head of hair at 84 - it only went grey in the last few years of his life, and even then it was dark grey.

But yeah, of course Ritchie wears a syrup, and has since about 1978.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    Pat Metheny
    Just on stage and for photos I think

tbh
     if it's for professional appearances, I'm loathe to criticise

I reckon ZZ top could blend in anywhere minus stage gear
  • FezFez Frets: 572
    Read " Riding Shotgun" for the answer
    Don't touch that dial.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15215
    Devil#20 said:
    Andy Scott.
    Is he the guitarist that said  "We just haven't got a clue what to do" on Blockbuster? 
    Nope. That was the bassist, Steve Priest. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2524
    Funkfingers said: Hank Marvin. Wig and glasses off, contact lenses in, he becomes Brian, free to go about his lawful business unencumbered by the ghastly public. 
    Yup. He can go and get gypsy jazz lessons from top tutors as Brian without getting recognised. I hear he's really quite adept at it. Go Brian!

Someone has to mention (the incredible) Molly Tuttle, for balance...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    DLM said:
    Funkfingers said: Hank Marvin. Wig and glasses off, contact lenses in, he becomes Brian, free to go about his lawful business unencumbered by the ghastly public. 
    Yup. He can go and get gypsy jazz lessons from top tutors as Brian without getting recognised. I hear he's really quite adept at it. Go Brian!

Someone has to mention (the incredible) Molly Tuttle, for balance...

I genuinely didn't know about Molly.

At first I didn't even realise Khruangbin wore wigs, I just thought the guy had a very weird hairdo. But some folk do.
  • Molly is quite open about her wigs.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11668
    Dolly Parton, although her wigs are slightly more convincing than Ritchie's.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5101
    I think the 1st Rainbow album was the last time Blackmore’s real hair saw the light of day. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    edited December 2020
    ICBM said:

Yeah my dad is that kind of vintage and still has really thick hair. Unfortunately I got my mum's side of the hair genes  :/
  • rossirossi Frets: 1736
    I have a fullish head of hair at 74 ,down to me shoulder .I do of course look ridiculous but not as daft as being bald and as I rarely had to be presentable in proper society being of an artistic nature and employment  , who cares .It got thicker after taking  taking prostate pills  .
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15215
    Of course, long hair in middle age looks silly. (This is precisely why I do it.) Baldness is an entirely natural process and nothing of which to be ashamed. 

What is properly ridiculous is the Skullett. Long at the back, shiny on top.

Second worst, bunching up one's remaining hair to cover a balding crown.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I recall reading in a Blackmore biography that he had quite a bit of "plug" work around the time of the "Rainbow On Stage" album, perhaps it's lasted better than Elton's.

Apparently several members of the band ribbed him mercilessly.

Rainbow changed its membership regularly.

Wonder why?
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11668
    I recall reading in a Blackmore biography that he had quite a bit of "plug" work around the time of the "Rainbow On Stage" album, perhaps it's lasted better than Elton's.

Wonder why?

Hair today, gone tomorrow?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    I recall reading in a Blackmore biography that he had quite a bit of "plug" work around the time of the "Rainbow On Stage" album, perhaps it's lasted better than Elton's.

Wonder why?
    Ironically, Graham Bonnet was fired for having short hair...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom