Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ritchie Blackmore's Syrup

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• goldtop said:
    ICBM said:
    I recall reading in a Blackmore biography that he had quite a bit of "plug" work around the time of the "Rainbow On Stage" album, perhaps it's lasted better than Elton's.

Apparently several members of the band ribbed him mercilessly.

Rainbow changed its membership regularly.

Wonder why?
    Ironically, Graham Bonnet was fired for having short hair...
    It was a bit of a shock when Rob Halford reappeared after getting shorn.
    What did Shaun have to say about it?

Did Shaun's TV work have an impact too?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15215
    edited December 2020
    ICBM said:
    Ironically, Graham Bonnet was fired for having short hair.
    My recollection was that Bonnet already had short hair when he was recruited. 

The explanation that I recall for Bonnet's firing was that his dyslexia meant that he fluffed the song lyrics too often for Blackmore's liking. (The detail I cannot remember is whose version of the story this was.)

In more recent interviews, Bonnet claims that he quit over lack of material for an album rather than Blackmore firing him.

At least one of these stories MUST be untrue.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I thought he got fired for waving his todger around on stage.
    The Sheffield incident was the end of his tenure in MSG, not Rainbow
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3095
    edited December 2020
    I have a vague recollection of a kerfuffle at The Astoria’s rock club in the early nineties when someone grabbed Richie’s ‘hair’ and removed it completely.....
  • Basher said:
    I recall reading in a Blackmore biography that he had quite a bit of "plug" work around the time of the "Rainbow On Stage" album, perhaps it's lasted better than Elton's.

Wonder why?

The Edge is another who is clearly troubled by his sparse pate. There are plenty of pictures of him sans beanie and you can clearly see the plugs giving that "dolls hair" effect that I seem to remember seeing on a snooker player in the '70s. Again, he has the economic power of a mid-sized African nation at his personal disposal, so if that's the best that science can manage then it would probably be better to leave it. The odd thing is that he actually looks fine (IMO) bald and it's how I've always imagined him under that "Benny hat". I read Gary Numan's biography a long time ago and he regretted his transplant for the same reason (visible plugs) as, being of the electro/alternative genre, a shaved head was almost de rigueur at the time.

I think The Edge is in too deep and it has become a part of his public identity now. Same as Bono's or Elton's sunglasses in a way. I think the hat came about during ZooTV when the whole band had costumes/stagewear. Then during the POP era, he wore a cowboy hat, again as part of a costume. I guess during ATYCLB he didn't want to go back to nothing so chose a beanie and stuck with it. He looks fine without a hat IMO.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2509
    Basher said:

Wonder why?

The Edge is another who is clearly troubled by his sparse pate. There are plenty of pictures of him sans beanie and you can clearly see the plugs giving that "dolls hair" effect that I seem to remember seeing on a snooker player in the '70s. Again, he has the economic power of a mid-sized African nation at his personal disposal, so if that's the best that science can manage then it would probably be better to leave it. The odd thing is that he actually looks fine (IMO) bald and it's how I've always imagined him under that "Benny hat". I read Gary Numan's biography a long time ago and he regretted his transplant for the same reason (visible plugs) as, being of the electro/alternative genre, a shaved head was almost de rigueur at the time.

I think The Edge is in too deep and it has become a part of his public identity now. Same as Bono's or Elton's sunglasses in a way. I think the hat came about during ZooTV when the whole band had costumes/stagewear. Then during the POP era, he wore a cowboy hat, again as part of a costume. I guess during ATYCLB he didn't want to go back to nothing so chose a beanie and stuck with it. He looks fine without a hat IMO.

With it being The Edge, I'm surprised his hair loss wasn't delayed.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think The Edge is in too deep and it has become a part of his public identity now. Same as Bono's or Elton's sunglasses in a way. I think the hat came about during ZooTV when the whole band had costumes/stagewear. Then during the POP era, he wore a cowboy hat, again as part of a costume. I guess during ATYCLB he didn't want to go back to nothing so chose a beanie and stuck with it. He looks fine without a hat IMO.

That really suits him imho, when I eventually lose mine I'm going to try and go with that look, bit of a 'tache, some stubble and jobs a good 'un.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4105
    Basher said:

Wonder why?

What's Alan Shearer got to do with it?
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    Philly_Q said:

Michael Angelo Batio.

Michael Angelo Batio - Wikiwand

The late Kevin Dubrow.

Isn't she the star of My big fat Jewish mom?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2755
    KKJale said:

The late Barney Kessel also surely deserves credit as a pioneer of the faux follicle. 
    Ah, the "jazz system".

Barney Kessel's was at it's peak in the 70s. Mind you most barnets looked like syrups in the 70s.

Pat Metheny's system is a worth a look; he really has been quite greedy.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/640x360/p01h5sy5.jpg

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24994
    edited December 2020
    jpfamps said:
    Pat Metheny's system is a worth a look; he really has been quite greedy.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/640x360/p01h5sy5.jpg

Nice to see him hanging out backstage with the kids.

He looks a bit like an uncharacteristically cheerful Harrison Ford.  In a wig.

• BowksBowks Frets: 445
    I’m watching the Mortimer & Whitehouse Gone Fishing Christmas Special on the Beeb. Chris Rea is on and he has the most obvious syrup on!
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20518
    ^  I'm still unsure. 
    The lad has had some really shitty times with cancer & illness, so it could be a rug.
    And yet, I'm inclined to think, mebbe's a dye job. And does it matter?
    https://en-gb.facebook.com/ChrisReaOfficial
  • BowksBowks Frets: 445
    edited December 2020
    No, it doesn't matter. If that's what people need to do in order to feel 'themselves', then that's what they need to do.

The grey wispy sideys did give it away though.