Your favourite magnet in a neck humbucker?

What's Hot
What are people's faves?

I realise it's 100% dependent on the guitar and application, so feel free to elaborate!

I would have said A2 usually (with a PAFesque output) but I've really taken a liking to A3 (although that can sometimes be a bit too clear). That's for a set-net, mahogany body guitar.
Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1362
    edited December 2020
    A2 for me. But in both positions. Just based on the absolutely stunning set of Wolfetone Legends I randomly gave a try.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    er.... what???
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Alnico 4 or 5.

I prefer more clarity and bottom-end - A2 sounds too soft and a bit weak to me, and quite thin with low-wound pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Alnico 4 or 5.

I prefer more clarity and bottom-end - A2 sounds too soft and a bit weak to me, and quite thin with low-wound pickups.
    I actually plan on trying out an A4 magnet in the neck position of my new PRS 22 - I had an A4 for the longest time in an SG but obviously that will sound a bit different given the pickup position
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25112
    edited December 2020
    Of course there are lots of variables, but I like a soft-to-muddy neck pickup so A2 (with a slightly hotter wind) or A4 for me, not keen on A5.  I've never tried an A3 pickup.

Actually I've just remembered that the BKP Stormy Monday is A2, and I didn't like it much.  But - dare I say - the Gibson 490R is alright... A2 is OK.
    PonchoGreg said:

I actually plan on trying out an A4 magnet in the neck position of my new PRS 22
    That's what I've got in both mine - Dragon IIs and McCartys both have them. I like them a lot - full, clear and with plenty of bottom end, but not quite as bold and strident as the Duncan '59 neck.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Haven't got a clue.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    So far, A4, at least as humbuckers go - my favourite neck pickup is my BKP Emerald and my second favourite is a Mule!

I've got an A5 Firebird pickup from Oil City in my Tele and that's lovely - fat and humbuckerish higher up the neck, but bright and snappy lower down with plenty of clarity, and I think the A5 helps with the brightness and attack.
    Tim
  • A5 in all pickups of all varieties. I always have the vol and tone quite low and roll them up to add brightness to solos. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PudWudPudWud Frets: 156
    I recently got some OX4 alnico 4 low winds and my Les Paul has never sounded better in the neck position. 
  • ICBM said:
    PonchoGreg said:

I actually plan on trying out an A4 magnet in the neck position of my new PRS 22
    That's what I've got in both mine - Dragon IIs and McCartys both have them.

Were the A4 magnets in these stock, or swapped in?

Seems PRS keep the alnico type of their pickups very close to their chest...
  • A3 for me.

I am generally happy as long as they aren't A5 I find A5 very clicky and unpleasant
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    PonchoGreg said:

Were the A4 magnets in these stock, or swapped in?

Seems PRS keep the alnico type of their pickups very close to their chest...
    Stock, although the information is quite hard to find, at least from PRS themselves. But some info was posted here -

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/list-of-prs-pickup-specs.8055/

https://us.prsaccessories.com/products/dragon-ii-bass-gold

From that it looks to me like the Dragon II bass and McCarty bass are actually the same pickup, with different output cables. They do sound the same to me, although the bridge pickups are quite different.

• I finally gave up on having a single coil in the neck and bought an A4 low wind bucker; I couldn't be happier with it.
    I always thought the Seymour Duncan Jazz neck was A2, but looking it up yesterday - inspired by this thread - I was surprised to find it's A5.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    My main one has alnico 4 and I've also played - and liked - ones using alnico 2.

I've heard from pickup experts that the magnet type isn't what determines the sound of a pickup. I think maybe people want it to be the case because it makes it convenient for choosing one but I reckon the pickup experts are right about it.
  • thegummy said:
    My main one has alnico 4 and I've also played - and liked - ones using alnico 2.

I've heard from pickup experts that the magnet type isn't what determines the sound of a pickup. I think maybe people want it to be the case because it makes it convenient for choosing one but I reckon the pickup experts are right about it.
    Yeah I would imagine number of winds (and wire gauge, obvs), coil offset make more of a difference. Changing the magnet definitely seems to be tuning the tone further though, was certainly noticeable when I played around with a couple of pickups
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Big ceramic and low wind.. Give me some high end.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    When I first saw the heading for this post, I assumed that it was a piss take.  A bit like asking what is your favourite screws to secure the scratchplate?  But when @ICBM replied, I can only conclude that there is 'something' in the magnet question.  It did not keep me awake last night so whatever magnets are fitted in the pickups of my guitars will remain there.  And the types fitted to the guitars will probably remain a mystery.  YMMV.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

thegummy said:
    True, but if all else stays the same, changing the magnet does make a difference.  I think the Duncan Custom, Custom Custom and Custom 5 are good examples - same pickup, three different magnets, and they don't sound anything like each other.