RIP Charley Pride

What's Hot
phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
edited December 2020 in Tributes

Just seen this sad news . A true country legend
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes, I saw that. Only a few weeks ago he was recieving his lifetime achievement award at the CMAs and I was thinking surely he should be shielding and not on stage; although presumably they looked after him well enough at the CMAs that he didn't catch his Covid there. 
    Probably not my cup of tea musically, my grandfather loved that middle of the road country sound so I'm not unfamiliar with it and a black man who was a significant country star from a period when that would have seemed extremely unlikely so I presume his road to success was not an easy one. From the CMAs it was clear that he is still an inspiring figure to younger country artists. And of course he had a sweet voice. 
    RIP.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    Another little part of my childhood gone :(. When I was small I used to love going to my Gran's house because she had a record player - my parents didn't - and a large collection of easy-listening and country music which she would let me play to my heart's content (and somewhat my parents' annoyance!). One of my favourites was 'Crystal Chandeliers' by Charley Pride... I don't know why really, but I played it a lot - I think I just liked his voice. Since it was a single with a plain sleeve I had no idea then that he was black, it was only years later that I realised - as Eric said, he was pretty unusual in country music.

RIP

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    He was ground breaking in many ways. A lot of US country fans listened to him not knowing he was not white. That was a biggie back in 1960s America and he conducted himself as a the gentleman he truly was. 
    RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    I have always liked Charlie Pride.  Our band at the time, late 1970s' absolutely murdered this song:

RIP to one of the good ones.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom