Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What are the best Live albums by power trios / 3 + singer.

What's Hot

Comments

• I see you like Cream - there is a Jack Bruce bootleg I have called Rollin and Tumblin and it's excellent.  It has Blues Saraceno on guitar, Simon Phillips on drums, really great lineup and the bootleg is really good quality.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haych said:
    My favourite Rush live album is A Show of Hands, it's very slick and I even like the guitar tones on that album, which most people don't.  I think it perfectly represents where they were at that time in their career.  IMHO the live albums they've released since then haven't sounded half as good and have been nowhere near as slick.  Some, dare I say it, have sounded little better than bootlegs.

Not sure if an album exists per se, but for quite a number of years Pat Travers toured as just a three piece (probably for financial reasons).  There might not be an official live album released (he did do a studio album called Power Trio, I think) but I'll bet there's plenty of stuff on YouTube.  The first PT gig I saw in 2002 they played as a trio, mighty good it was too.

Have The Police done a live album?  Must look into that, I quite like The Police.
    Give the Snakes & Arrows live CD/DVD a go. It was recorded in 2007 in Rotterdam(?) I really like production on it for a modern live album, the whole bands is on form too. Some rarities like Digital Man and Circumstances were on this tour too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• This captures The Police at their peak..  Sting realised after this tour that it couldn't get any better than this for the band.. so he quit while he was ahead.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24249
    Just found this

Nice!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Often overlooked: Budgie. Try their Live in LA album.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Also all tracks on Nirvana Muddy Banks album except Sliver, Senseless Apprentice, Heart-shaped Box and Milk It, which all have Pat Smear on Rhythm.
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    Often overlooked: Budgie. Try their Live in LA album.
    Well I’ll be a nude disintegrating parachutist !

Absolutely love Budgie— but can’t believe I never knew they had a live album, need to check that out.
  • PhilW1 said:
    Often overlooked: Budgie. Try their Live in LA album.
    Well I’ll be a nude disintegrating parachutist !

Absolutely love Budgie— but can’t believe I never knew they had a live album, need to check that out.
    Me too.  I have nine Budgie studio albums, didn't know about a live one.
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    viz said:
    Do you have Rush and Hendrix?
    Plenty - just no live albums.

Lol. I actually didn’t spot you said live albums! Silly me! But now I know what the thread’s about, I have a couple of very good live Rush DVDs
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Often overlooked: Budgie. Try their Live in LA album.
    Couldn’t beat that audience reaction in Lower Aberystwyth. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    How did I forget Band Of Gypsies? MAchine Gun is one of the best things Hendrix ever did.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5627
    Oh yeah, knew there was another 3 piece I really liked. Check out Dada, they have live album, Live: Official Bootleg. I’ve not heard it but they’re a killer band so should be good. 

The Paladins are also a three piece, if you like that kind of thing, Million Mile Club is a great live album. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    FUZZ live in san fran

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    This was a hell of a rhythm section:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The Move - Live At Fillmore '69 , they'd trimmed back to a 3 piece along with Carl Wayne doing most of the vocals. Roy Wood really shows how great a guitar player he was. Rick Price and Bev Bevan do a great job on bass and drums also

Queen - Live Killers, save for a few songs where Freddie plays keys, it's mainly power trio all the way

Jim Lea - Jim Jam (bonus disc from his Therapy album) - Jim tears through a set of his favourite covers, playing lead guitar and vocal in what's his only gig since he left Slade 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4694
    West Bruce & Laing - very Creamish...

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4694
    BBM too - this sounds quite familiar.....

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24249
    I did have the BBM album - on cassette!

I had forgotten about them.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    rlw said:
    West Bruce & Laing - very Creamish...

Live!

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916