Archtop build number 2.

What's Hot

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Loving it !!!!!
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1327
    Lovely work!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    edited July 2021
    I had the day off from my day job to get that binding done.... and it went much quicker than expected, so onto another bit of detail work.

I decided I wanted to do a multipiece inlay in black pearl.   Not something I have done for a while so time to brush off the inlay skills 

First a design.

I will cut the petals individually.   Not mad enough to try the stamen.

I print of multiple copied of the image.   First one gets cut up and stuck to some pearl... paying attention to the grain direction on the shell.

Break out the old jewelers saw

Then as each one is cut out, and filed to final shape it gets stuck on another copy of the image

Then we can cut away some of the backing and see how it all fits.

Before I inlay, I've had a practice with the graver.  Not perfect but much of this will be lost when I inlay it... I think I got my technique down for the lines on the leaves after starting a bit heavy.   Stamen will likely need to be ground in with a diamond bit in the drmeel I think

Using black pearl will stop this being to in your face.   It will all but disappear from some angles 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    And you can probably tell I haven't fully decided on position, so will sleep on that before doing more
    Messy process shots, sorry its not pretty pictures :D .... I have a few issues to correct before I start the clean up.

Back is about 9/10.... a couple for small easy fixes.    I have a bit more to do around the horn area on the tip though.

This is the tricky bit, but it was always doubtful it would work with binding this thick on a cutaway that sharp.  I'm going to try splicing the binding near the tip so I can re heat and close the gap

Sides should clean up great

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    Wow! Great to see how this all goes together, and the skill involved. I now know why there isn’t a Thomann Archtop kit for £50  ;)
    Sneak peek at the cavity cover

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    This is heading towards a whole new level, @WezV ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2021
    This is heading towards a whole new level, @WezV ...
    I used to do lots of fancy construction on electrics before marriage/kids/divorce etc. 

Although I did build some of my favourite stuff when I stopped focusing on fancy details and started building simpler, more traditional guitars.

Now i'm trying to bring those different approaches together  into guitars that stretch me a bit

I used to really enjoy doing inlay, but just stopped altogether  at some point... frankly my eyes were not up to it.   I've never done a fully engraved inlay like I will be attempting here.

Not everyone will think this should have a back plate.... but for me it's needed to keep the f-holes looking the way I want.  So I may as well try and make it fancy 

The sharp eyed amongst you may have noticed i lost symmetry on the lower bout when the top was glued on.   This is because I took it out the mold to glue the top on, and the tail block seems to have twisted slightly during that process.   It means I will have to get a bit creative with the tailpiece mounting to stop it sitting at a weird angle.   The lesson is i clearly need a better way of ensuring things keep their proper shape during that gluing process.   

anyway, on with the show

I cut the cavity for the inlay.  the next job will be to mix up some black epoxy and get it all stuck in place

i also got more of the binding cleaned up, just the awkward cutaway and a few glue smears to go

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Superb!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    That's already got a bit of class about it.  The long and narrow f holes are just right to my eye.
  • I'm blown away by this. Great work Wez. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3199
    Amazing work, so cool.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1494
    Damn! I have been refraining from reading this thread for months thinking I could binge read it once the guitar was finished. Now I have got to wait for the finale! 

But what a ride. Priceless stuff. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

Inlay is levelled off and I had a go at engraving after slotting the inlay for the frets.   Leaves are fine, stamen was done with a dremel and still a bit rough.  Also still needs a bit more filler on some corners

Overall, I'm happy so far

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Have a wow
    Change of plan for the pickup led to this 

A hint of CC, but its a P90 wind

I think it will work well with  a black finish on top
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    That'll look awesome
    Necks rough carved and fitted.  Still not sure on tailpiece.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom