PRS Partsacaster from 1986?

What's Hot
Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
Seriously deluded seller here.....possibly but not confirmed  '86 body with a 90's CE neck yet seller claims he modified it 35 years ago. Neck plate is a fake. Claims board is a brazzy...its not. Wilkinson trem, replacement tuners....yours for £4500! 
Hope this one makes you laugh too....

https://reverb.com/item/37780019-prs-custom-24-1986-obsidian

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1492
    Comedy gold.

35 years ago would have been 1985, 3 years before the CE even came out. Was Wilkinson making hardware 35 years ago? Lollar? I highly doubt it.

I can only assume the seller thinks he can blatantly bullshit people because there's another equally dimwitted nutcase thinking it's genuine. Either that or he expanded his mind a little too often in the 60s....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 627
    edited December 2020
    That’s not a even an 86 as the neck heel
    is too big. Did prs even make a bolt on 24 fret ce from 86? It looks like a more mangled version of my one from the 90’s/00’s. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    1987-88 is the first year for the CE, just labelled 'Electric', and the bodies were alder not mahogany until 1995, so it can't be anything relating to 1986. I could believe it's a custombastardised '96...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 355
    Well done, Strat54, Dodge and guitarmangler.

The larger heel was introduced in 1995 so, as guitarmangler says, it is not a 1986 neck.

Serial numbers are on the back of the headstock, not on the plate, which is fake, as Strat54 says.

The seller claims they are custom tuners but I cannot see a photo of the back of the headstock - where the serial number and the tuners would reveal themselves more fully. From the front they look like non-locking tuners.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Whistler said:

Serial numbers are on the back of the headstock, not on the plate, which is fake, as Strat54 says.
    I don't think it's fake, it's just a 1996 one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1592
    ICBM said:
    Whistler said:

The original PRS EG neck plates have the serial number on them.  This looks like one of them.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    Why has he done this?
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    They're my fave guitars once I've modded them, but why that bridge? I swap the pickups and have ss frets put on.
  • I emailed the seller and they’re insistent that it’s genuine :lol:
  • PhilKing said:
    ICBM said:
    Whistler said:

The original PRS EG neck plates have the serial number on them.  This looks like one of them.
    CEs had serial numbers on the neck plates too
  • Seriously deluded LOL

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    Looks like a vintage 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    I emailed the seller and they’re insistent that it’s genuine :lol:
    I don't doubt it is. It's a genuine 1996 PRS CE, just like this one...

https://reverb.com/ca/item/14260438-paul-reed-smith-ce-24-1996

... only mucked around with.

• So they replied to my messages, and have confirmed it’s a ‘96 neck at least from the stamp date on the heel under the neck pickup. They’re still pretty sure the neck and body came from separate guitars, but...!
  • I’d just like to point out that I have a complete ce22 from a similar era listed in the classifieds for about a quarter of that figure. 
    I’d just like to point out that I have a complete ce22 from a similar era listed in the classifieds for about a quarter of that figure. 
    I’m guessing yours doesn’t have the wrong bridge and a massive hole drilled in the front either...

• ICBM said:
    I’d just like to point out that I have a complete ce22 from a similar era listed in the classifieds for about a quarter of that figure. 
    I’m guessing yours doesn’t have the wrong bridge and a massive hole drilled in the front either...
    No. Is that worth 3 grand? If so I’ll do it to all my guitars
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Shit, I should do that to my Cu24 - must add £6k to one of those!!!

• Who is Phil Brown?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk

• Who is Phil Brown?
    A “luthier” that doesn’t own some cable cutters??!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom