• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Bit of a mix the last new days...

Garbage - Garbage
    Primal Scream - Screamadelica
    Body Void - Bury Me Beneath This Rotting Earth
    Spectral Voice - Eroded Corridors of Unbeing
    Mare Cognitum - Solar Paroxysm
    Marriages - Salome

Garbage for a bit of early morning nostalgia. Screamdelica is a mood-enhancing classic. New Body Void is crushing although nearly every song follows the same formula. SV are heavy doom/death, a nice new personal discovery. New Mare Cognitum is an awesome slice of progressive BM. First time hearing Marriages but yeah digging them a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1509
    Radio 4 this morning.
    Yes. Boring.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    duotone said:
    This past week it’s been a bit of reggae, now that my hi-fi is set up and working again (after a fuse change). 
    Lee Scratch Perry/ The Upsetters - Super Ape (1976)
    King Tubby - King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown (1976)

Just realised they were released in the same year.
    Check out The Congos - Heart of The Congos if you haven't already 
    This morning it's In Dub by Hollie Cook.

So it's modern dub by British producer Prince Fatty remixing the album he did with Hollie ( her dad was a Sex Pistol), he has a brilliant take on old school dub. 

Also reminded of Best Dressed Chicken in Town by Dr Alimantado which had its own Discussion on here a while back. I think a lot of that was produced by Lee Perry so something of a hidden reggae classic, that's on my list for this afternoon. 

And back to Heart of the Congos - there's a wonderful version of the title track by Ernest Ranglin. Sort of jazz reggae I guess but if I ever feel motivated to play actual guitar again that has to be on the list for a go. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Another frigging Work Zoom Meeting!!!
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Nick Drake is one of those artists where any track you happen to be hearing  you think "oh, yes, this is my favourite Nick Drake song" and then afterwards you click pretty much any other Nick Drake track on YouTube and immediately you're thinking "oh wait - this is my favourite track."  So here's my current favourite Nick Drake track, because it's the one I just listened to:

Place to Be

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Can't stop listening to a relatively new band called Wargasm at the minute. Don't even know how I'd describe it, kind of reminds me of The Prodigy in places but with heavier guitars and great vocals with 2 contrasting singers.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    Always been a bit of a Love fan, but never delved that deep as they're well before my time. Having my first proper listen to Da Capo tonight and having one of those moments. What a collection of songs. Just incredible.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 584
    The Pastels

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Alfa Mist.. like a hip hop Miles Davis in places. Some lovely breakdowns and solos. 

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4286
    I listened to Parklife this morning for the first time in years. It’s a really happy album, that brings back some good memories about that period. 

I still prefer Modern Life is Rubbish, but Parklife is much better than I remembered. 

I stayed in the same era and listened to the Bluetones, Expecting to Fly. I’ve probably seen them live more than any other band. My Mrs back then loved them, so went to see them play a lot. Adam Devlin is a seriously underrated guitarist. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    XTC - Skylarking. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    XTC - Skylarking. 
    XTC - Yacht dance
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    duotone said:
    This past week it’s been a bit of reggae, now that my hi-fi is set up and working again (after a fuse change). 

Gladstone Anderson - Peace Pipe.

Scientist encounters PAC Man

Fat Freddy’s Drop - Live at the Roundhouse.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I've been listening to a lot of Blue Öyster Cult.  I've been a bit of a fan for 40 years, but every now and then I become mildly obsessed with them... then forget about them again for a decade.  Most of the albums have at least two dud tracks for every good one, but at least they're not all the same.
  • Just taken delivery of an album called "Prosthuman" by Camera. Instrumental music in the style of Neu! and Can. Well worth a listen if that's your thing. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Cacofonix said:
    duotone said:

Gladstone Anderson - Peace Pipe.

Scientist encounters PAC Man

Fat Freddy’s Drop - Live at the Roundhouse.
    Enjoying lots of Fat Freddys Drop, although 16 minute dub-soul jams appreciated in quite an ambient way! They have a couple of U.K. dates coming up although nothing I can get to. 

I like a bit of 10 Foot Ganja Plant who were exploring similar modern dub/ reggae grooves with various guest musicians so some of it is instrumental, some with various singers. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Lovely version of "The Parting Glass"  by Jon Rennard, a Leeds-based folk singer/guitarist active in the 1960s who died tragically young in 1971. I came across this from the Facebook page of Henry Parker, himself a handy Yorkshire folk musician.