Albums seen as ‘classics’ that you think are rubbish.

What's Hot

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3686
    Anything by The Fall, can’t see why they’re revered. 

Likewise The Verve, just a load of whining.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Whatever Bruce Springteen's classic one was - I've got a box-set and I've never managed to listen to a whole album.

I've also got a Status Quo box set, which I find unlistenable.

I wised up with regards to ELO and don't have any of theirs.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Everything by Deep Purple
    I tried so hard to like it as a teenager before I even got all that picky
    Just sounds like auto pilot paint-by-numbers to me
    I fully appreciate the musicianship

Same with Queen

I do get what you say about Deep Purple - they can be a bit formulaic: opening riff, verse & chorus, verse & chorus, keyboard solo, vers & chorus, guitar solo, chorus, fade.

But I like a lot of their stuff anyway and Made In Japan is probably/IMHO the best live album ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    OK Computer
    Appetite For Destruction
    Back In Black
    Led Zeppelin II
    Definitely Maybe

In fact anything by any of those bands. That’s not just a list of bands I don’t like, all those albums are “classic” for no reason I can see, even compared to the rest of their output.

And Astral Weeks.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Anything written by Sir Paul? 
    I know what you mean, but I think that's slightly unfair. His writing filtered through John and George Martin produced some incredible music.

When he was left to his own devices the results exposed him rather. 

I can't listen to A Day In The Life without thinking it is John saying to us "look what I've got to work with!". 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6996
    Exile on Main Street.  It’s held up as the Stones’ finest work, but for me it’s a messy jam that’s a difficult and unrewarding listen.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuengi said:
    Anything written by Sir Paul? 
    I know what you mean, but I think that's slightly unfair. His writing filtered through John and George Martin produced some incredible music.

When he was left to his own devices the results exposed him rather. 

I can't listen to A Day In The Life without thinking it is John saying to us "look what I've got to work with!". 
    Yes, I was being flippant, but fully agree: post-Beatles rather than during the Beatles. 
  • The Pixies Doolittle - scratchy voiced noisy rubbish. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Cols said:
    Exile on Main Street.  It’s held up as the Stones’ finest work, but for me it’s a messy jam that’s a difficult and unrewarding listen.
    May the good Lord shine a light on you
    Make every song your favorite tune

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Anything by Queen.... Over rated nonsense. 

Maybe the case now but I remember a time during the 80's when they were very much under appreciated
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
    edited December 2020
    Rowby1 said:
    Anything by David Bowie.....style over substance.
    I think this is the perfect example of "you had to be there" (I wasn't).

I understand why it was important, and I appreciate what came before and after - and that it had a huge amount of influence, but I've really tried with Bowie but I just don't feel it. 

I think the same can be said for Oasis. Very much the music of a generation (I was there in this case), and when I listen to it I get all the nostalgia that goes along with it so it has more emotion/meaning. Listening objectively I think something like definitely maybe isn't that groundbreaking.

Anyway, my album (and coming from a big Jimi fan) is Electric Ladyland. There's a lot going on, and it's impressive (and again, there's a "before and after" situation). Problem is whenever I listen to it, it's always an effort  (there are a couple of standout tracks, but a few amazing tracks do not maketh the album ...)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Sergeant Peppers........
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Hattigol said:
    Anything by Pink Floyd. I just don't get them.
    Anything by Queen.... Over rated nonsense. 
    Fuck's sake lads, I was hoping to be the bringer of truths to this thread and you've both pipped me to the post. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I had to bail out and stop reading this thread. Too shocking ....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Rowby1 said:
    Anything by David Bowie.....style over substance.
    I think this is the perfect example of "you had to be there" (I wasn't).

Thing is, I kind of was.....didn’t get it then, don’t get it now. Loads of my mates at school though he was a genius.......and probably still do. Hey ho, good job we’re all different :)
  • Everything by Van Halen seems pointless to me.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    Brothers in Arms. Dire by name, dire by nature.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Patti Smith “Horses” don’t get at all, but also happy to join in the Pink Floyd and Queen lack of respect,
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    edited December 2020

Anyway, my album (and coming from a big Jimi fan) is Electric Ladyland. There's a lot going on, and it's impressive (and again, there's a "before and after" situation). Problem is whenever I listen to it, it's always an effort  (there are a couple of standout tracks, but a few amazing tracks do not maketh the album ...)
    I love Electric Ladyland, it's my favourite Hendrix album, but feel the same about Are You Experienced - great debut, and changed the world, but as an actual album... not without the CD reissue bonus tracks, which include all the really great ones that weren't on the original.

That said it's still much better than almost any of the other ones listed so so far. (Apart from Bowie and Velvet Underground - and Sgt. Peppers :).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein