Albums seen as ‘classics’ that you think are rubbish.

What's Hot

Comments

• I don’t know why I clicked on this, threads like this wind me up! I tend to focus on albums I like rather than those I don’t...there’s enough negativity around...
    I certainly indulged in these ‘negative’ Discussions in the past on the assumption that they were good humoured joshing but sometimes the replies seem anything but. 
    It is also a depressingly small pool of artists/ albums that we all seem to know. 
    Hey Ho. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RomainRomain Frets: 15
    The first Pink Floyd album with Syd Barret. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22718
    I don’t know why I clicked on this, threads like this wind me up! I tend to focus on albums I like rather than those I don’t...there’s enough negativity around...
    I certainly indulged in these ‘negative’ Discussions in the past on the assumption that they were good humoured joshing but sometimes the replies seem anything but. 
    It is also a depressingly small pool of artists/ albums that we all seem to know. 
    Hey Ho. 
    But it's a small pool of albums that are generally trotted out as "classics", to be fair.  Unless you're looking at Rolling Stone and their hipster top 100 best albums "ever", all released in the last 10 years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited December 2020
    Romain said:
    The first Pink Floyd album with Syd Barret. 

I only really like the "middle" albums. 
    Bit like that with bowie too to a lesser extent. 
    Often it's the first few albums that are the best, struggling to think of any where it was the last ones.
  • Abbey Road and Revolver are both better than Sgt Pep's. I get that SPLHCB is very important, but it isn't as good. I agree with @ICBM on the White Album. Cut it to ~15 tracks and it'd be outstanding. 

As for me, I really like the idea of Metallica but I don't get Master of Puppets, or the Black Album (or any others of their) on any level. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7822
    I can’t bear to read this, some of you have no taste. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Screamadelica, Primal Scream. Over produced Codswallop.... 
     Boaby Gillespie couldn't sing his way out of a Paper Poke. 
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1119
    The Beatles.........all of it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Habanero said:
    Brothers in Arms. Dire by name, dire by nature.

I used to play that in a band and the guitarist used to get really into the noodling about bit; after about 3 hours of that, the bass had to come in and play one note; I could never get it quite right, so at practice we'd all have to start again from the beginning...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited December 2020
    ICBM said:
    OK Computer
    Appetite For Destruction
    Back In Black
    Led Zeppelin II
    Definitely Maybe

In fact anything by any of those bands. That’s not just a list of bands I don’t like, all those albums are “classic” for no reason I can see, even compared to the rest of their output.

And Astral Weeks.
    All of that except Back in Black, it's awesome. The riffs are classic, especially back in black itself and it has very clever arrangements and great drumming. 

For me:
    60's stuff, the Byrds, White album, Pet Sounds, Piper at the gates of dawn etc, all very dated sounding and a bit twee. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    Winny_Pooh said:

All of that except Back in Black, it's awesome. The riffs are classic, especially back in black itself and it has very clever arrangements and great drumming.
    Back In Black, Hell's Bells and You Shook Me are great - everything else is filler at best, apart from Rock'n'roll Ain't Noise Pollution which is shit. 3/10 does not make a classic album.

To be honest I can't really listen to AC/DC at all any more though... I heard something off the new album and genuinely had no idea if it was new or old, it all sounds exactly the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fob said:
    I don’t know why I clicked on this, threads like this wind me up! I tend to focus on albums I like rather than those I don’t...there’s enough negativity around...

That's fairly negative in itself. If you're genuinely getting wound up by people listing albums that they don't like as much as most then you've either got bigger problems or no problems.
    Thanks for the diagnosis but I don't really appreciate it. You don’t know whether I have problems or not, why make it personal?
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Thanks for the diagnosis but I don't really appreciate it. You don’t know whether I have problems or not, why make it personal?
    That's why there were two options. It was a fairly rhetorical comment anyway about being negative in a thread that the OP, I'm sure, started as some harmless fun. A bit like those people who go into football threads to say they don't like football.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    Oh and I'd also like to nominate Funeral by Arcade Fire. Badly recorded hysterical whining.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    ICBM said:
    Winny_Pooh said:

Back In Black, Hell's Bells and You Shook Me are great - everything else is filler at best, apart from Rock'n'roll Ain't Noise Pollution which is shit. 3/10 does not make a classic album.

To be honest I can't really listen to AC/DC at all any more though... I heard something off the new album and genuinely had no idea if it was new or old, it all sounds exactly the same.
    No, no, no. Back in Black is the apotheosis of AC/DC. An extraordinarily consistent album, under the circumstances. 

It's not really the equal of Powerage or Highway to Hell, because Bon Scott isn't on it. But the point is it consolidates all that they were working towards and all that AC/DC are: the tight rhythm section, the coiled power, the vocal menace, the staccato guitar bursts, nd great, great choruses. And it's the ultimate in that very 'dry' 70's style of rock production. One of the greatest sounding records of all time. Hats off to the genius that is Mutt Lange. 

The only thing that makes it even better is if I listen and concentrate VERY hard and try to imagine what Bon would have sounded like on those tracks. But Brian does a more than credible job as a stand in. 

• DominicDominic Frets: 16080
    Kimono my House by Sparks was a fantastic album .........the very seed of so many "Art Bands "
    Different thing but same goes for Bowies early Albums Space Oddity,Hunky Dory up to Ziggy Stardust
  • Back in Black is spectacular. The energy in Shoot To Thrill alone is worth the entry fee, but overall it's the best ACDC album with the best and most consistent songs by far (yes, I know they all sound the same but who cares) and the only Brian one that's better than almost any Bonn one.

Doesn't mean you have to like it though ;)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited December 2020
    Brothers In Arms - the odd decent song but too much rubbish like ‘Walk of Life’ & ‘Money For Nothing’ - meaningless songs which did not need to be written - combined with awful ‘80s production.

The Wall - just too long and dreary....

Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs - too much filler, too much jamming and some of the worst tones from EC’s guitar ever committed to tape.

Hopefully those will get my ‘Wow’ count up.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    edited December 2020
    I read the title and my first thought was Whats Going On. What a snooze fest.
  • Anything by:
    Pink Floyd
    Bruce Springsteen
    Oasis
    Bob Dylan
    Neil Young
    The Beatles (yes... I'm going to go there...)
    Radiohead
    The Sex Pistols (God save my ears!)
    The Ramones...

The list goes on!
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom