Albums seen as ‘classics’ that you think are rubbish.

What's Hot

Comments

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1778
    edited January 2021
    Stone Roses - S/T
    Didn't really get they hype surrounding them, still don't get it now.  A couple of reasonable songs but nowhere near as memorable (in my opinion!) as the average NME journo would have you believe.
    Rather surprised it’s taken this long for this to get mentioned. You’re wrong of course ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• The White Album on the other hand... while it has one of my favourite Beatles songs of all (While My Guitar Gently Weeps) it also contains the worst material ever officially released by the band, a lot of very average filler, and would have been much better cut down to a single album in my opinion.
    and George Martin's opinion as well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7671

The two I would have offered without any need to think about it have already gone :)

Pet Sounds has some fabulous songs but the rest is nowhere near as good, and Astral Weeks would be ok if the musicians had rehearsed, as it's a mess of people making it up as they go along.

There are plenty of albums mentioned that I love, but that's ok - we can't all love the same things.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    With the exception of maybe one or two tracks most of Phil Collins and Eric Clapton's solo output, most of Genesis, all of ELP...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJ said:
    With the exception of maybe one or two tracks most of Phil Collins and Eric Clapton's solo output, most of Genesis, all of ELP...
    yep, I'm with you on those, didn't mind
     Phil's You Can't hurry Love (cover)
    Eric's Cocaine (cover)
    ELP Fanfare For the Common Man
    Genesis I know What I Like (I think because of the Lawnmower bit)
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Pretty much everything that bloody Pat Bateman recommended.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    DaevidJ said:
    Eric's Cocaine (cover)
    ELP Fanfare For the Common Man (cover)
    Genesis I know What I Like (I think because of the Lawnmower bit) (probably a cover too)
    FTFY
  • PaulWarningPaulWarning Frets: 906
    edited January 2021
    mart said:
    DaevidJ said:
    Eric's Cocaine (cover)
    ELP Fanfare For the Common Man (cover)
    Genesis I know What I Like (I think because of the Lawnmower bit) (probably a cover too)
    FTFY
    sorry wrong thread really, but  thanks for the FTFY, was it Socrates they nicked it from?

• MolemanMoleman Frets: 133
    London Calling by The Clash. Not that great and the guy sings like a damn horse. Just terrible. I suppose like so much else in the popular music scene - you had to be young at the time to get all wrapped up in it. 
  • Moleman said:
    London Calling by The Clash. Not that great and the guy sings like a damn horse. Just terrible. I suppose like so much else in the popular music scene - you had to be young at the time to get all wrapped up in it. 
    must admit to not being a big London Calling fan, loved the first two Clash Albums but they went away from punk with that one, title track is great though, and like the Beatles White Album would have probably made a decent single album, as with all distinctive vocals they're marmite, I'll raise you Paul Weller, once read him being described as sounding like a punch drunk boxer, made sense to me
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    edited January 2021
    dindude said:
    Wow that escalated quickly, Floyd, Bowie and the Underground are all tosh apparently !

I was thinking more like those over hyped albums you constantly see in the top 100 of all time that no one ever listens to any more such as Beck Odelay and The Strokes This Is It 
    Yeah, Floyd and VU are regular spins for me.  Yet another trash-is-treasure moment.  One man's truth is another man's waste of time, as Gerry Cinnoman says.  

One of the albums that was recently bumped on the Rolling Stone list that caught me off guard was Lauryn Hill's Miseducation.  It's by no means rubbish, but I do not think it belongs where it currently sits, and I love Lauryn and Fugees.

I have a hard time calling an album "rubbish," but I do have a hard time with like contemporary RnB and Country.  I think there are some albums currently in the Top 100 that hit hard initially but, to my mind, are known more for their hit singles, e.g. Kanye's College Dropout.

More in line with "rubbish", though, Steely Dan bores me to death, I can't stand Yacht Rock and I wouldn't notice if Aja or any of their stuff was wiped from history.  Same with the Beach Boys.  Overproduced turds, all of it.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    Philly_Q said:
    Astral Weeks for me too.

And I've never seen the appeal of 95% of any of the Beatles' post-Beatles work.
    Not to distract, nor to disagree.  Can we just settle the fact that All Things Must Pass and Plastic Ono Band are in the other 5%?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Cranky said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Astral Weeks for me too.

And I've never seen the appeal of 95% of any of the Beatles' post-Beatles work.
    Not to distract, nor to disagree.  Can we just settle the fact that All Things Must Pass and Plastic Ono Band are in the other 5%?

Hmmm.... for me personally...?

Well.... All Things Must Pass is the only post-Beatles Beatle album I actually own... but I find a lot of it pretty boring.  I guess the good bits are in the 5%?

Sorry.  :(

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Philly_Q said:

Well.... All Things Must Pass is the only post-Beatles Beatle album I actually own... but I find a lot of it pretty boring.  I guess the good bits are in the 5%?

I thought that - well, maybe a bit less - until I got the remastered CD edition with the colourised artwork. It’s so much clearer-sounding it made me hear it again with fresh ears and I think it’s much better... despite the annoyance of having all but the first of the bonus tracks in the wrong place, and all bar that one unnecessary as well. Even the ‘jam sides’ tracks are much better when put in the correct order Harrison intended.

Still don’t like Wah Wah though!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

I thought that - well, maybe a bit less - until I got the remastered CD edition with the colourised artwork. It’s so much clearer-sounding it made me hear it again with fresh ears and I think it’s much better... despite the annoyance of having all but the first of the bonus tracks in the wrong place, and all bar that one unnecessary as well. Even the ‘jam sides’ tracks are much better when put in the correct order Harrison intended.

Still don’t like Wah Wah though!
    That's the version I've got. :)   I can't make a strong case for its boring-ness - and with reference to the thread title, I'm not saying it's not a "classic" or that it's rubbish.  It's just not for me.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    edited January 2021
    Bit late to this one but "Songs in the Key of Life" by Stevie Wonder leaves me cold, I just don't get it at all, even if
    saying that is heresy.

A more popular choice, I suspect, is "Stars" by Simply Red.  The success of that album is more inexplicable than 70 million people voting for Trump. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited January 2021
    Neill said:
    Bit late to this one but "Songs in the Key of Life" by Stevie Wonder leaves me cold, I just don't get it at all, even if
    saying that is heresy.

A more popular choice, I suspect, is "Stars" by Simply Red.  The success of that album is more inexplicable than 70 million people voting for Trump. 
    I’ve always put the success of Simply Red down to the fact that their fans were too young to have heard Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye or any of the soul greats. (See also Jamiroquai). Mick Hucknall has a reasonable soul voice but a lot of their material is just lift music. 

Songs in the Key of Life is weak, I agree. I own it but hardly ever listen to it. Inner Visions on the other hand is a bloody masterpiece, my absolute favourite Stevie album. 

I really don’t get anything by The Fall. Rambling nasal toned pissed-up nonsense. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5596
    I find it difficult to listen to Mick Hucknall any more, since my guitar teacher pointed out that he always 'slides' up to the note.  

Since knowing that I cannot unhear it and I just find it annoying now.  Had he said nothing I would probably have never noticed.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3615
    boogieman said:

I really don’t get anything by The Fall. Rambling nasal toned pissed-up nonsense. 
    Couldn't have put it better myself!
  • boogieman said:

Songs in the Key of Life is weak, I agree. I own it but hardly ever listen to it. Inner Visions on the other hand is a bloody masterpiece, my absolute favourite Stevie album. 

Double album (and then some) syndrome. Loads of the best known Stevie Wonder songs are on Songs In The Key Of Life, but they're there alongside some deeply unspectacular stuff. If you made a single disc of the eight or ten best songs off SITKOL it would be great.

But yeah, Innervisions is fucking brilliant.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.