Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Question about GuitarGuitar

What's Hot
dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
Their reputation seems completely excellent but does anyone know if they’re box shippers or if the stock they sell online passes through a tech before sale? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• From my experience it is a bit of both.

A lot of the stock exists at one of their shops (info that is usually mentioned online), so if it is being shipped from the shop, you can speak to them to ask they give it the once over.

However if it is an item they have (eg twenty) in the warehouse, it probably would not have been opened.

They have always been very helpful when I have purchased.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I guess what I mean, is that an online sale might actually be shipping from a shop (without you knowing this unless you investigate further).
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    Thank you @SPECTRUM001 ;

From the look of the website, the stock is one guitar in each of 5 shops. I’m not even sure right now if I’m looking for confirmation or a good reason to step away from cabin fever purchase lust. 
  • I've had some good experiences in store.
    But as a general rule of thumb, they're a box shifter.
    If you want the guarantee of a decent set up, i'd look elsewhere.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sergiosergio Frets: 119
    If it's in exposition it has probably seen someone to give it a setup. Whether that consitutes an actual tech or just one of the employees I can't say (how does one qualify as a tech anyways?) but I've had good experiences in the past using the chat function to get more information about specific items they had in store before actually going there.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Bit of both like Spectrum says. 

When I ordered the Ltd Snakebyte earlier in the year it arrived with a plethora of problems, was a B-stock but wasnt mentioned, and GG didnt so much as open the box or attach a receipt to it, or even so much as email me one.. never did get one.. just straight up shipped it in the Esp box.. 

They did return it as they keep records but after speaking to Esp distributor and Gg who were supposed to sort out a replacement between them, and chasing them both, lines went dark. 

I have ordered something else from them which was ok. But probably like a lot of places was luck of the draw that it was all good, rather than actually having been checked. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Worth pointing out that some buyers actively want "box shifting". Every so often you see guitarists on the Internet get upset that "the box was opened already!!!" when their new toy arrived. Some of these people even go in to a guitar shop, try out a guitar, then ask the guys in the shop to go out back and get them an unopened one to take home.

No, really. It's bizarre. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    A friend went in to a store to try out a really nice Charvel.

He liked the one in store and bought it. The guys offered to do a free setup for him and would ship it next day.

Guitar tech dropped it causing a massive crack in the neck pocket...  

I’m not sure them looking at it before they send it out is something you want anyway!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 807
    I know of these chaps who do their own QA and setup before sending a guitar out:-

www.scan.co.uk

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/music-and-pro-audio/guitars/solidbody-electric-guitars

However, they stock a limited range of guitars. They are not appointed dealers for Gibson, Fender, Jackson, Ibanez, and some other major brands.

Professional Guitar Setup:-

https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/proaudio/guitars
  • dazzajl said:
    Thank you @SPECTRUM001 ;

From the look of the website, the stock is one guitar in each of 5 shops. I’m not even sure right now if I’m looking for confirmation or a good reason to step away from cabin fever purchase lust. 
    @dazzajl - I have been stopping myself ordering their Player Tele (with the CS pickups) for a fortnight !!

If I was going to try it out, I would speak to one of their shops and buy it remotely direct.

• MarchMarch Frets: 300
    Agree that Guitar Guitar are a bit of both. I've personlly bought many items from them and deal with one of thier Directors quite a bit. When I have had issues in the past they've always been sorted quickly and efficiently. I know the tech in the Edinburgh store has been kept busy through lockdown, friend of mine who goes in there often mentioned that he had almost 300 guitars pass over his bench during November.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Checking a guitar for any obvious defects regarding QC is one thing

But if you want a guitar set up in a particular way then I'd suggest you contact the appropriate store/business - As otherwise you'd probably just get the generic factory set-up - Factory set-up is fine if it is something like a PRS, who spend more time to offer an excellent 'out of the box' playing experience - And fine again if that factory set-up suits you and your playing style

But if you want 9-42 and a slick/sissy shred action, or 11-49 and a higher action, trem flat, slightly raised, or more raised, then you'll need to chat to the store  to accommodate such a request - Not sure which stores offer this - Not sure if a foc service or chargeable and that might depend on the price as well

IMO, many guitars can be improved with a tweak or two, compared to the generic factory set-up

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2473
    edited December 2020
    @dazzajl if you get one and the setup is not what you want I would be happy to tweak it for you (current plague limitations permitting).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited December 2020
    I have correspondence from a member of staff, who I will assume is a senior member of staff, that if they have a boxed guitar in stock, and someone orders that guitar, they will "normally" send it out boxed and unopened as customers apparently prefer this.

I wouldn't recommend them at all.  I would look towards Peach Guitars who check every guitar before it gets send out.

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Mm Peach do seem to check things over and give it a tweak which is good, and no doubt would make sure its set up decently. 

Gg have recently changed their pre owned stuff. They say they restring and set up all of them. Which is good. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717

But if you want 9-42 and a slick/sissy shred action, or 11-49 and a higher action, trem flat, slightly raised, or more raised, then you'll need to chat to the store  to accommodate such a request - Not sure which stores offer this - Not sure if a foc service or chargeable and that might depend on the price as well

Sissy?!? What the.....!?!?

Thanks for all the comments folks. Reading through has just confirmed that what I was looking for was to be talked into or out of making a purchase I don’t need. A symptom of not being busy enough while also making some guitar sales and trying to stick to a strict one out, one in policy. 

The facts are that every guitar that comes through the door here is stripped, given a look over, restrung and tweaked to my liking. What is nice is knowing that the nut is cut correctly and that the fretwork is good but liking a slightly higher than average action, it’s hard to fall foul on these. 

Thank you @Keefy your kindness and enabling are always appreciated. Also any excuse for a long overdue catch up is welcome. If we’re ever able to do such things of course. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2473
    dazzajl said:

Thank you @Keefy your kindness and enabling are always appreciated. Also any excuse for a long overdue catch up is welcome. If we’re ever able to do such things of course. 
    Cheers @dazzajl - already got my outfit for Covid-secure guitar meet-up.

Keefy said:
    dazzajl said:

Cheers @dazzajl - already got my outfit for Covid-secure guitar meet-up.

You’d probably still play beautifully, even with  those gloves on ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3497
    I’ve no get a few things from them and all but one went without a hitch. The hitch they sorted when pressed.