Eagles live from the LA Forum - new on Sky Arts 9pm

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
Now basically, 9pm Sunday. Says new to the channel.
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PSA really. I'll see how I get on with it. 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2350
    PSA really. I'll see how I get on with it. 
    It’s wonderful, last year's tour. Stunning sound and beautifully filmed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12345
    Love the Eagles. 
  • It’s three hours with all the ads. That’s a lot! 

One of those bands I give little thought to but can recognise dozens of songs by. 

StefB said:
    PSA really. I'll see how I get on with it. 
    It’s wonderful, last year's tour. Stunning sound and beautifully filmed. 
    Yes, this is a quality made thing. 

• Glenn Frey’s son in this line up. Am now explaining to my son that when I die it will be his destiny to start a second rate ska band. 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lots of nice gear for us guitar geeks.
  • Joe Walsh with a PRS SE  :o
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2350
    Deacon Frey is superfluous in my opinion but his presence helps justify things I suppose. Vince Gill on the other hand fits in seamlessly and fills Glenn Frey‘s shoes admirably. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    Thanks! Watching now. I was a bit uncertain whether to bother given the last thing I saw them do a few years ago, which really wasn’t very good, but this seems better.

Their combined age does look like about 850 or something...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Aha... Those Shoes. Something darker with a bit of an edge to it - it’s all been good so far, but a bit overly polished. (Although that’s normal for them.)

The usual medium-sized branch of Guitar Center on the stage... but nice to see Deacon Frey with Glenn’s old LP Junior copy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    Enjoying this and a bit of a guitar fest. Vince Gill is no slouch on guitar, either
    Kebabkid said:
    Enjoying this and a bit of a guitar fest. Vince Gill is no slouch on guitar, either
    Horrible sound he had with the goldtop though. Weird honky kind of telephone tone...

Joe Walsh’s Duesenberg sounds great.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5413
    edited December 2020
    Man, the autotune on Henley’s voice during ‘Desperado’ is bad. 
  • Pretty certain all of those vocals are rerecorded.... far too clean! Possibly a bunch of the guitars too! That said, enjoying it, and it's lovely to see Vince on the gig as he's a personal favourite!
    Pretty certain all of those vocals are rerecorded.... far too clean! Possibly a bunch of the guitars too! That said, enjoying it, and it's lovely to see Vince on the gig as he's a personal favourite!
    Not sure about that... I know Eagles Live was heavily overdubbed - certainly the vocals - but I saw them properly live on the Hell Freezes Over tour and they really were that good.

The Joe Walsh stuff - which I liked best, mostly - was a lot less polished too, and didn't sound that noticeably different.

I have to say the highlight for me was the epic trumpet intro to Hotel California though...

• I went to bed part way through but it is on Now TV so I’ll try to finish it off. I do like a bit of Joe Walsh, I remember watching the Strat Pack concert and he pretty much stole that. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5413
    ICBM said:
    Pretty certain all of those vocals are rerecorded.... far too clean! Possibly a bunch of the guitars too! That said, enjoying it, and it's lovely to see Vince on the gig as he's a personal favourite!
    Not sure about that... I know Eagles Live was heavily overdubbed - certainly the vocals - but I saw them properly live on the Hell Freezes Over tour and they really were that good.

The Joe Walsh stuff - which I liked best, mostly - was a lot less polished too, and didn't sound that noticeably different.

I have to say the highlight for me was the epic trumpet intro to Hotel California though...
    I saw them a long time ago, something like Farewell II or something... they were indeed great. Super tight. But on this recording you can hear the pitch correction on Henley's vocals as I mentioned above. I think it's most obvious on Desperado since it's just him and a piano. 'The Long Run' during the end credits had some artefacts too. I only managed to tune in midway through Life In The Fast Lane where it was less obvious, if used at all. They were either correcting live or did some work in post (more likely)... I think it probable his vocal tuning just isn't what it once was!
  • Most live Eagles releases seem to be plagued by autotune, I'm sure they don't need it to that degree but maybe Henley's desire for perfection leads them down that path? I'm certain Vince Gill doesn't need any and his leads here are coated in the stuff... For me it does make the audio feel a little disconnected! 
  • The way Timothy B Schmidt sings the high harmonies is the absolute secret weapon here...
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    I also think some songs had the key dropped, which is hardly surprising, but they still have it, even if they have a little instance