The music you made or released in 2020

What's Hot

Comments

• JohnCordy said:
    that sounds amazing John. I was about to ask if you played on the project from the chap from Marillion - was sure I'd seen your name on a review - but you answered that on the last bit :)

I've had a really slow year, mostly due to having a daughter arrive, so only recorded one thing: 

I was going to say my band released an album, but that was actually last year...time has rather flown by!!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @IMC1980 the ritual thing is me on everything in my bedroom ha! Thanks for taking a listen!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Aye, one of my bands released an album in the summer...

https://blackhawkdownuk.bandcamp.com/album/chapter-one

All recorded at home, apart from the drums - they were recorded by Andy Hawkins at The Nave in Leeds, and he mixed it too.

Came out sounding OK, I think :)
    <space for hire>
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Ah, well. I had quite a productive year - a friend asked me to do music for an online launch thing for a book of poems she'd illustrated, and I ended up setting one to music and releasing it: 

https://johnpeacock.bandcamp.com/track/quietly-remarkable

Then I got together a bunch of instrumentals and released them under the pseudonym Trey Fontaine:

https://johnpeacock.bandcamp.com/album/trey-fontaine

Then I spent most of the rest of the year finishing up tracks I'd been working on for years, finally releasing it a couple of months ago:

https://johnpeacock.bandcamp.com/album/my-bumper-book-of-lies

(The cover is by the same illustrator that I recorded the first song for.)
    Listened to the Poem song and it was quite therapeutic after the day of carnage I have had with the kids today! 

Had a listen to some of Trey's stuff as well including his theme(?), there was some cool stuff there, like Futuristic Shadows.

Really enjoyed what I heard on your final link, your voice is very soothing and the lyrics in the first track were quite abstract. Everything about it is relaxing chillout music for me, very pleasing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2020
    sticker said:
    An old band mate uploaded our old bands recordings from the late 90’s to Spotify, Tidal etc, apparently there’s been thousands of streams earning the grand some of 21p ! 

https://open.spotify.com/artist/2JFa07062eoXa3erdkTNeL?si=7J0vOcl5SQGViMQeAKrxVw
    Funky and catchy! I think Do You Want To Come Outside was my favourite, but surely any song with the line "do you want a kebab?" Will be pretty hard to beat!
    JohnCordy said:
    that sounds amazing John. I was about to ask if you played on the project from the chap from Marillion - was sure I'd seen your name on a review - but you answered that on the last bit :)

I've had a really slow year, mostly due to having a daughter arrive, so only recorded one thing: 

I was going to say my band released an album, but that was actually last year...time has rather flown by!!
    That is some next level playing going on there! Would you like to play a solo for me? Or all of them? Ridiculously good.
    Aye, one of my bands released an album in the summer...

https://blackhawkdownuk.bandcamp.com/album/chapter-one

All recorded at home, apart from the drums - they were recorded by Andy Hawkins at The Nave in Leeds, and he mixed it too.

Came out sounding OK, I think :)
    Yes, love your stuff! I was going to see you when you were going to play in Notts I think maybe last year, but it got moved and I was away on the new dates. Hopefully I'll be able to see you again one day!
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    IMC1980 said:
    sticker said:
    An old band mate uploaded our old bands recordings from the late 90’s to Spotify, Tidal etc, apparently there’s been thousands of streams earning the grand some of 21p ! 

https://open.spotify.com/artist/2JFa07062eoXa3erdkTNeL?si=7J0vOcl5SQGViMQeAKrxVw
    Funky and catchy! I think Do You Want To Come Outside was my favourite, but surely any song with the line "do you want a kebab?" Will pretty hard to beat!
    That’s my favourite too . Thanks for giving us a listen! 
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    Here is a set of songs that some friends and I home-recorded during the first half of the year. They are all covers, but we generally liked how they came out. 

Paul_C said:

Well . . . ;)

32 albums of weird, ambient, glitchy fun, all of which can be listened to (and downloaded) for free.

https://sonickoalas.bandcamp.com/

You can pay if you wish (a few people have, and a huge thank you to them as no matter the amount it always makes me smile) but I don't mind if you don't.

Buckethead levels of productivity going on here! Have you got any of this in sound libraries for films and TV shows?
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 251
    A year ago I'd never recorded anything and had just bought an ebook to learn Garageband. I had a plan to try to write and record a song 3 years after suffering a serious permanent hand injury. Before that I'd dabbled with guitar for many years just at home.

It took me a few attempts to do that first one, and global events took over and gave me more time than normal. I've now completed 5 songs, and am still learning. The lyrics for the next one are written and there's a tune in my head.

smigeon said:
    Here is a set of songs that some friends and I home-recorded during the first half of the year. They are all covers, but we generally liked how they came out. 

I would agree on them turning out well, really good job! The production has a vintage feel to it as well, are they live drums? Have followed you so I'll hear the new ones as you add them.
    edited December 2020
    Habanero said:
    A year ago I'd never recorded anything and had just bought an ebook to learn Garageband. I had a plan to try to write and record a song 3 years after suffering a serious permanent hand injury. Before that I'd dabbled with guitar for many years just at home.

It took me a few attempts to do that first one, and global events took over and gave me more time than normal. I've now completed 5 songs, and am still learning. The lyrics for the next one are written and there's a tune in my head.

I wish my recordings sounded this clear when I first started! Love the Fuck You sneer of We Hate You Simon Cowell! 
  • IMC1980 said:

That is some next level playing going on there! Would you like to play a solo for me? Or all of them? Ridiculously good.
    thank-you, that's very kind  =)

I think John C is one of the best players on here - digitalscream's band is very good too. Clarky (Paul Clark) is excellent too - played with the David Cross band for years, very good player!
    IMC1980 said:
    smigeon said:

I would agree on them turning out well, really good job! The production has a vintage feel to it as well, are they live drums? Have followed you so I'll hear the new ones as you add them.
    Thanks! The drums are live on one song only - Blue Skies. It’s because our drummer is a bit of a technophobe and has never yet got organised enough to record properly (although he’s been having another go just recently). He recorded his drums on Blue Skies using the built in mic on his ancient PC(!), although on that tune it didn’t seem to matter much because we went for a particularly vintage feel there - it was more about the swing than the sound.

On the rest of the songs the drums started out mainly as MIDI, generated by the iReal Pro app, but usually with a lot of subsequent manual tweaking in Logic’s piano roll mode. I also used 
    Logic’s “Drummer” feature (“singer/songwriter” style) on one song: Blackbird. And on one or two I added some drums filched from the DrumGenius app.

There’s another batch of 17 more songs in the pipeline. I’m thinking to upload these by the end of the year after a final round of tweakage. BTW, I’m thinking of looking for a better place than SoundCloud to host them, as I haven’t been very impressed by SoundCloud’s streaming sound: it’s way worse than the lossless files I uploaded. Does anyone have any suggestions for good-sounding hosting sites?
    smigeon said:
    IMC1980 said:
    smigeon said:

Thanks! The drums are live on one song only - Blue Skies. It’s because our drummer is a bit of a technophobe and has never yet got organised enough to record properly (although he’s been having another go just recently). He recorded his drums on Blue Skies using the built in mic on his ancient PC(!), although on that tune it didn’t seem to matter much because we went for a particularly vintage feel there - it was more about the swing than the sound.

On the rest of the songs the drums started out mainly as MIDI, generated by the iReal Pro app, but usually with a lot of subsequent manual tweaking in Logic’s piano roll mode. I also used 
    Logic’s “Drummer” feature (“singer/songwriter” style) on one song: Blackbird. And on one or two I added some drums filched from the DrumGenius app.

There’s another batch of 17 more songs in the pipeline. I’m thinking to upload these by the end of the year after a final round of tweakage. BTW, I’m thinking of looking for a better place than SoundCloud to host them, as I haven’t been very impressed by SoundCloud’s streaming sound: it’s way worse than the lossless files I uploaded. Does anyone have any suggestions for good-sounding hosting sites?
    SoundCloud doesn't have very good quality, I don't know of any sites as big as SC though. You have lossless site like Tidal, but you need to go through a distributer to get onto those and if you are uploading covers there will be the cost of the mechanical copyright to consider. I have had better luck on SoundCloud by uploading WAVs instead of MP3s, they convert everything down to 128kbps MP3 for their site, so uploading lossless quality tends to translate better than a high quality MP3.
    Yeah, I uploaded AAFs last time. Next time I'll try uploading WAVs...
  • adzadz Frets: 3
    edited January 2021
    I'm a massive lurker on here, but this place has helped through the C19 situation. I started recording a few bits and got this cover of Sam Fenders "Play God" together with my sister in law.  I figured I'd pluck up the courage to share it.  I still don't really like the mix, but can't put my finger on why? I kinda don't care as I learnt quite a bit about Ableton whilst putting it together. It's the journey, not the destination (or something) 

adz said:
    I'm a massive lurker on here, but this place has helped through the C19 situation. I started recording a few bits and got this cover of Sam Fenders "Play God" together with my sister in law.  I figured I'd pluck up the courage to share it.  I still don't really like the mix, but can't put my finger on why? I kinda don't care as I learnt quite a bit about Ableton whilst putting it together. It's the journey, not the destination (or something) 

I hadn't heard this song before today, I really like it! Listened to your cover first and then the original, the difference seems to be panning of the guitar and another guitar coming in on the right once the drums kick in - it starts of with the guitar pretty centre but then that guitar is panned left and balanced with another part on the right. Also your kick was quite prominent and in the original it was more towards the snare. All of it was well recorded though and thanks for introducing me to new music!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Not mine... but the product of my loins...

More from them this year...