Leslie West RIP

What's Hot
Caffeine_VampireCaffeine_Vampire Frets: 3479
edited December 2020 in Tributes
A very sad way to close the year.

Phenomenal talent and a huge influence.

You made it to the top of the mountain big guy. 
'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Great player, with a huge tone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • An icon of classic rock. That tone on "Mississippi Queen"  - once heard, never forgotten.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
    Sad news. Caught him live once back in '73 at Manchester Free Trade Hall with West, Bruce and Laing. Awesome player.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72259
    I saw him at the Renfrew Ferry in Glasgow about fifteen years ago - epic, larger-than-life personality and sound. He had two Marshall Super Leads and I'm not completely sure if much of it was going through the PA... and one of those little Zoom belt-mount FX units mounted on a mic stand for the octave stuff. Great gig.

RIP :(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
     :/ 
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    Shit, I was dreaming about this last night and hoping this wasn’t true. Rip
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15959
    Saw him in Edinburgh...night of the guitars...wicked and monster LOUD
    tae be or not tae be
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    Possibly the only guitarist whose work became famous as a result of a current affairs programme. RIP Mr Weinstein.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sad news. A big tone and a wonderful vibrato. Flowers of Evil was the first album I owned.
    It's not a competition.
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 851
    R.I.P. 
    I saw him in the 70s (the bill was Pink Floyd, Faces, Mountain) and again this century when - unbelievably - he came to Farnham Maltings, just before his medical issues got serious.  What a guy.  They do not make them like him anymore.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22742
    I'm gutted. 

I think I first heard of him because Michael Schenker mentioned him as an influence (although I did know that Weekend World was Nantucket Sleighride).  I bought most of the Mountain albums on Japanese import (they seemed very expensive at the time) when I was at university and he's been one of my heroes for 40 years.  Never saw him live, unfortunately.

What a shitty year it's been.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    Gutted, the man was an absolute legend and may he rest in peace.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• StuobStuob Frets: 35
    Don`t know if it was his playing or attitude to it I liked better, rip Leslie.
    Leslie West - Mountain West Bruce  Lang SoloWests economy of playing  was awesome All he needed was a guitar with  Blues music Gibson flying  v Leslie west
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Very sad news.
    RIP thanks for the music.
    @Philly_Q - that’s possibly the most beautiful picture of any rock guitarist I’ve ever seen.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM for a guy who looked very little like the quintessential rock star, he was remarkably photogenic.
    Philly_Q said:
    @ICBM for a guy who looked very little like the quintessential rock star, he was remarkably photogenic.
    Yes. It's the expression on his face in that one in particular - totally lost in the moment, somewhere in a place of pure peace that the music has taken him despite the huge volume he was playing at. You can almost hear the sustain just looking at it...

It's the perfect rock star guitar too - the most iconic shape of all, stripped down to nothing more than what he needs, and a curly cable.