Jam night etiquette (or, I've never played at a jam night)

What's Hot
VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
So, all my live playing has been at organised orchestras or pub sessions, I've never played at a jam night, but I quite fancy dusting off the old bass (not a euphenism) and popping along to one at some point in the future. But I was curious what the etiquette is. In an orchestra, you take your own instrument, get given the dots and play what the orchestra leader tells you to do (well, that's the plan anyways, getting a bunch of adults to behave in an amateur orchestra setting is like herding cats). At a pub session, you take your own instrument and generally the tunes are, for want of a better word, standards. Normally I was happy enough noddling a harmony line whilst the better/more shouty players would take turns leading the melody.
But how does it work with a jam night? The ones I've been to as a punter there's a house band, but surely you don't play their instruments? I get that you could take a guitar or bass, but what if you're a drummer? Or a keyboardist? You can't very easily take those along with you. And I assume you don't take your own amp. So do you use the bands drums or amps? Are you expected to play from a list? I find it all very confusing.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    edited December 2020
    I’ve been to a few in the past. If there’s one you fancy probably go along first without expecting to play and work out what’s going on as they will vary quite a bit.
    For guitar, bass, sax, kazoo,etc, you would normally take your own. Probably play into a supplied amp. For drummers and keyboardists not realistic to take your own things. For vocalists probably use a supplied mic although I’d prefer to use my own ( for hygiene reasons).
    There will be rolled eyes at elaborate pedalboard set ups and for a blues in A probably unnecessary anyway. If you feel nekked without pedals then have a small board with a rechargeable supply. 
    Some places have sign up sheets, some it’s more of a free for all, some it’s who your mates are. I’d suggest always try to get on early as a) less time for nerves to build up and b) the audience is 80% just people waiting their turn so you might be playing to an empty pub by the end. 
    The ones I ever went to tended to be well known songs/ songs with cycling chord sequences. If you can remember four chords and/or how to solo over them jobs  a good un ( well, for the kind of jams I ever did!). There’s a good list on here somewhere. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    coolio, that does seem to fit with my thinking, thx Eric. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I just spent ten minutes looking for the Discussion with jam songs before realising it’s the one that’s stickied at the top of the Live section. Doh! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Probably goes without saying for anyone sensible ....

Don't tune-up onstage
    Don't solo while others are soloing, and especially singing (unless you're really good at call & response)
    Be overbearingly nice toeveryone
    Don't slag anyone else off

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Ah - miss Jam nights :-(

The one we ran was well attended, and wasn`t only blues to solo over. There was a big list of songs the house band knew, and as players came and went one or more band members would make way for those that wanted to play.

All backline was supplied, and both myself and the bass player were happy for our instruments to be played. The house bass was used 100% of the time - 95% of people played my guitar. There was even a set of house drumsticks. Mics were shared, but this was pre pandemic.........

We decided to actively discourage bringing of own amps and pedals for a couple of reasons - firstly, it takes time to set up and you lose all momentum and have less time for players, and secondly if a player brings a full rig in some cases they then want to stay up all night and you can`t get them to sit down again!

In terms of etiquette, pls see above. It`s a Jam night, so musicians need to change. It shouldn`t be a showcase for the house band, and guests should expect to play for 2 or 3 songs. Get an idea of the kind of music that`s played and make sure you have some common ground. If you turn up expecting the house band to know an obscure B side from the 70s that sold 4 copies you might be disappointed. The list of songs mentioned above is a good place to start.

As above, give other space and go with the flow, and most importantly have fun! It`s a great way to meet people and a great night out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    Thanks newi, that's great information, exactly what I wanted to know.