KLF being arch - 2021 Edition

What's Hot
goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6143
Spectacularly talented trollers of Da Music Biz are doing it again. Or are they just getting old, a bit annoyed at burning £1,000,000 in a field and suddenly need those pesky royalties?

You decide: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55507226
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KDSKDS Frets: 221
    I could never work out if Drummund was taking the Mick or not
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    Painting graffiti with an actual pot of paint and a brush? In 2020?!

That's a unique artistic statement in itself I would think...

I'd probably even buy that compilation if it was available on something equally archaic like gramophone CD :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I liked KLF and have a few bootleg albums somewhere including the rather tounge in cheek (and I think rare) 'Kylie said to jason', but it seemed like there was some kind of artistic statement going on, but I wasn't smart enough to work it out...... feel free to enlighten me if anyone can be bothered
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6143
    I'm conflicted. If they're just cashing out, that's fine by me. They must have family by now, and all the $$$s from the back catalogue will buy houses for the grandkids. Got to be a very dogmatic 'artist' to forego that dull legacy.

But if they are going to pump out new stuff while trying too hard to be relevant to today's yoof, I'll probably pass.
    I'll have to dig out white room and chill out albums and see if they stand the test of time over the weekend
    I'd be interested if anyone read the infamous book and if it was a good read https://www.amazon.co.uk/MANUAL-How-Have-Number-Easy/dp/1899858652
    Yes, I read a copy of the book (ripped and uploaded, appropriately) a few years ago. Excellent read, although it's hopelessly dated now in terms of the record pressing/sales stuff.

(I'm too much of a slacker to actually do the whole Number One hit thing. And my mantlepiece isn't big enough for a Smash Hits award.)
    goldtop said:
    Yes, I read a copy of the book (ripped and uploaded, appropriately) a few years ago. Excellent read, although it's hopelessly dated now in terms of the record pressing/sales stuff.

(I'm too much of a slacker to actually do the whole Number One hit thing. And my mantlepiece isn't big enough for a Smash Hits award.)
    Your the first person I have come across who has actually read the book, I had doubts it even existed and it was bit of a joke/hoax

Back in 2000 I was working with a guy who was a complete KLF and Adam & the Ants (he got a letter from Marco saying he would take legal action if he kept tidying the Ants bootlegs, but that is another story) Nut. He gave me some of the KLF bootlegs which I still have somewhere, he mentioned the book which he was struggling to track down but said it did exist
    ^ There's an outside chance that I saved the PDF/TXT/scan/whatever-it-was on a USB stick. Will check... 
  • jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 66
    I’ve been reading it recently funny enough. Some guy literally typed it all out from print if I recall. It’s a fun read even if it’s just to get a sense of making music in the 90s. Goes well with same-era copies of Music Tech and HS&R. 
  • jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 66
    I remember seeing 3AM on MTV when it was probably new. It kind of blew my mind at the time. I was heavy into Pearl Jam, GnR, and Nirvana as a middle schooler. I’d never heard anything quite like it, and it’s a fantastically produced track. Would have loved to see them pull the machine gun out unannounced at the music awards and actually fire blanks out. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    goldtop said:
    ^ There's an outside chance that I saved the PDF/TXT/scan/whatever-it-was on a USB stick. Will check... 
    It's not exactly hard to find online, eg
    https://freshonthenet.co.uk/the-manual-by-the-klf/
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    mart said:
    goldtop said:
    Thank you. I’ve long wanted to read it. 
    mart said:
    goldtop said:
    Perfect. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Will I get a cut of the royalties when you both get your #1s? ;)
    Yes, and as per standard Music Biz practice, I'll need a small advance: £50,000 should get all of the coke and hookers studio time I need.

(You can deduct it from my first fat royalty cheque, natch.)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    I’ve got everything on vinyl and CD so don’t need to stream but might give Hi Res downloads ago if they release them.

• I liked KLF and have a few bootleg albums somewhere including the rather tounge in cheek (and I think rare) 'Kylie said to jason', but it seemed like there was some kind of artistic statement going on, but I wasn't smart enough to work it out...... feel free to enlighten me if anyone can be bothered
    Recently read this book about KLF which explains a lot. Bonkers but a brilliant read. They really were nutters. All kinds of counter cultural references throughout their work, they do make more s bit more sense after reading this. 

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    edited January 2021
    KDS said:
    I'd be interested if anyone read the infamous book and if it was a good read https://www.amazon.co.uk/MANUAL-How-Have-Number-Easy/dp/1899858652

I have a pukka, printed copy of The Manual, probably bought it around the time it was released (1988). It's very funny.