Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone else in love with the sound of uilleann pipes?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28336
Such a wonderfully expressive instrument, I think far more palatable than the rather harsh sound of bagpipes.
Troy Donockley is a master, and uses them to great effect in the band Iona.

I realise that this is possibly a 'no responses' thread!

Solo piece:

Some wonderful Irish reels played with the band (a few minutes in)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    pipes get a bit of a bad rep IMO cos of the highland pipes, but they're not all like that. Check out Kathryn Tickell, she plays the Northumbrian pipes, a much more palatable type.
    That said, I still wouldn't want to live next door to someone who is learning them.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Oh yes!  Live, the Uileann pipes is a sound you never forget.  Like a concert grand, they are loud without being deafening. Listen to recordings of the late Loim O'Flynn, his work with Planxty gives an idea of how versatile the instrument is.  But try to hear them in the room, better still with a pint of Guinness in your hand, somewhere in Co. Clare.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    there is a lovely Uliean pipe instrument for Kontakt, many an hour using Jam Origin and Kontakt :)
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2944
    Planxty

Love the pipes on this classic, they come in at about 2:50 but the whole thing is ace.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2944
    edited January 2021
    HIghland (war) pipes can also sound good in the right context. This is Alan Macleod in the ALBA band with Sean O'Rourke & Tony Cuffe.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Fabulous sound.     
    Before he joined nightwish I met Troy several times as I taught his daughter.  Lovely bloke and super talented so it’s been great to see him getting the success and recognition for his playing.  
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    I used to play in an Irish band in New York, back in 1980, and we had a guy who played the Uilleann pipes.  They can sound like a synthesizer at times.  It's an amazing sound.  We also had a harp player, and the pipes and the harp work together so well
  • I love Liam O'Flynn's work on Mark Knofler's Cal soundtrack and Kate Bush's Hounds of Love.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    edited January 2021
    Yes always loved Troy's playing in Iona. He's now a member of Nightwish. He used to be a guest, but now he's a proper band member. Enjoy his Nightwish work despite the last two albums being pish. 

• Check out Davy Spillane....plays on Bryan Adams MTV unplugged album....amazing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    @axisus - don’t mess about - go straight to Troy’s best album - The Unseen Stream.

One of the best albums ever.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Oh, and you should hear what he does with them now in Nightwish...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28336
    @axisus - don’t mess about - go straight to Troy’s best album - The Unseen Stream.

One of the best albums ever.
    I'll check it out thanks!
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    So these are what those awful 80s cheap casios s
     synths are based on. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7848
    Davy Spillane played beautifully on the Elvis Costello album ‘Spike’. 

‘Any kings shilling’ & ‘Tramp the dirt down’ are frikin awesome songs, and Davy’s playing is spine tingling. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980

The 'held' note at the changeover is simply amazing.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    I used to have several Davey Spillane albums on vinyl. Atlantic Bridge is a superb album.
  • My parents were more into Charley Pride and Jim Reeves than Scots and Irish traditional music, so I've managed to miss out. 
  • PigknowsPigknows Frets: 39
    edited January 2021
    Check out The Brendan Voyage if you haven't already heard it. Fantastic. Liam O'Flynn again. 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    How have I missed this thread? Absolutely love the Uilleann pipes, well, all Irish folk music to be honest and am learning the high and low whistle at the moment (I know the whistle isn’t strictly original to Ireland but they made it their own). Playing airs on the whistle/Uilleann pipes helps me sleep at night. (Obviously from my phone not laid in bed playing!) and it sends me back off to Ireland where I had the time of my life, and will be back there again very soon hopefully.

Tomorrow will be a good day.