Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2021 Fretboard Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    markv said:
    Bidley said:
    Started getting a bit of pain in my right knee on Tuesday... Foolishly I carried on running through the pain and it was really quite sore afterwards.

From a bit of googling it sounds like standard runner's knee, but only in one... Is this normal? Or is my fledgling running career over?
    I got this about a year after I started - just the one knee. It came on quite suddenly during a run and I had to walk home, very gingerly. Tried again a week later and it was just as bad.

I got a referral to a physio and he told me I wasn't stretching enough or properly (not a surprise, I knew nothing). He gave me some stretching exercises and recommended icing my knee after a run (the old bag of frozen peas to the rescue again). So far so good, but I'm always a bit nervous when I get twinges in my knees now!
    I had this when I ramped up my training a few years ago. I went from running 8 miles as my longest run on that training cycle to doing a half marathon because I felt ok...except for the last 3 miles where my knee began to twinge...I pushed through it...and I'm only just now getting back to running properly (mostly because lazy). But it took a good 6 months (would have been shorter but basically due to the lack of stretching (which is what caused the issue in the first place), it took longer to recover).

I'm still shit at doing it too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 959

Started getting a bit of pain in my right knee on Tuesday... Foolishly I carried on running through the pain and it was really quite sore afterwards.

From a bit of googling it sounds like standard runner's knee, but only in one... Is this normal? Or is my fledgling running career over?

Not necessarily. I gave up running a few years ago due to knee pain.

18 months ago I went pretty much gluten free. A friend suggested I try again as gluten is known to be bad for joints.

It was better but still not perfect.

As others have suggested I started stretching properly. Seems that a combination of the 2 have cured the probLem.

Try the stretching, if that doesn't work, can you cut down on gluten?
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3961
    robbs1977 said:
    Some fast guys out there.
    I decided to download the couch to 5k last year in lockdown and managed my first 5k. In September i managed to do 100k which i was really please with. Since March i have also lost 4.5 stone so its getting a bit easier but my PB for 5K is still 34 minutes. Maybe when i lose another couple of stone i can get to 30 minutes.
    I think the speed will pick up naturally, great achievements so far.   I also found that working up from 5km to 10km was good for my speed, I stuck with mostly 10km runs for a couple of months and was beating my PB most weeks, then I tried a 5km and beat my PB by a decent amount.
  • Got my last run of week 4 on couch to 5k.
    I've managed 5k on most runs so far.
    It is teaching me better pace control but part of me does worry that light jogging results in lots of impact with minimal cardio returns.

I'm currently doing it as a means to bolster my conditioning for 5 a side and muay thai.

Its going better than I thought. I do wonder if I would be better of performing sprints though
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1083
    Back running again. Trained up to half marathon over the summer and was great to achieve that. Then work and life got in the way and I didn’t know what the next goal was.

But back out again now. I run around empty streets away from the city centre and I live in a hilly place so torture at times. But I enjoy it. Good to listen to some music in peace for an hour or so.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    As I mentioned before, still just starting out (again). I've done 35 mins/6.2km this week, over 4 separate (very short) runs. I'm averaging about 5:50 mins/km which I feel is probably a bit too quick at this stage. Can't say I'm enjoying it yet and it feels like hard work but I am pleased I've done it.
  • I went our for my 2nd attempt at 5 miles with a 45 minute target - compared to 46:30 2 weeks ago. I'm not very good at pacing but planned to start steady and wind up as I settled in. I felt comfortable and was surprised when my phone shouted out my pace was a bit faster than planned, so I kept going and hit 43:45 and felt strong at the end.

Given that I finished feeling strong, and my aim to get this down to 35:00, I need to work on my pacing, and I need to find a strategy for pushing harder. I'm doing some interval training which will help, but I'm thinking I'll try and do something like the first mile at a steady pace to warm up, then a bit faster for mile #2, returning to a steady pace for mile #3, then a slight increase mile #4 and see if I can hold that or even push it a bit for mile #5. I'm only talking about minor pace adjustments really, between 9:00/mile and 8:00/mile for now.

I really need to learn how to use my running watch better to help me get this pacing sorted. I've got a Garmin 910xt and I'm told it can do all this but I've never put the time in to learn.
    I didn't get out last night, which is annoying, but with stacking it on Friday and still feeling a bit sore and it being icy under foot in parts last night, I thought better of it. Going to try and get out today as I need to do 15 miles before the end of the month to stay on target.
  • joneve said:
    I didn't get out last night, which is annoying, but with stacking it on Friday and still feeling a bit sore and it being icy under foot in parts last night, I thought better of it. Going to try and get out today as I need to do 15 miles before the end of the month to stay on target.
    I saw a few folk out running in the snow. I think I'd enjoy it in an invigorating way, but I'd be very nervous of slipping. I've hit my monthly target, so I'll probably just do a couple of short runs this week and try to get out on my mountain bike instead.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    We only got 1 or 2 inches in Newport. I got out at 7am yesterday and in the fresh snow there was good purchase, this is with a pair of F-lite 195 which have a sticky flat-ish outsole. Body got a good workout though. I binned the idea of running this morning as it probably would have been slippery after being trodden down a bit.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    joneve said:
    I saw a few folk out running in the snow. I think I'd enjoy it in an invigorating way, but I'd be very nervous of slipping. I've hit my monthly target, so I'll probably just do a couple of short runs this week and try to get out on my mountain bike instead.
    If I'd managed to get out yesterday morning it would have been ok as it wasn't too bad, but I'm lazy and I don't often get to sleep in past 7am because 3 year old :D 

But I reckon I can bimble through 3 5 milers this week - hopefully mostly off-road.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well it wasn’t 5 miles but got a 5k in tonight. So I’ll probably do an extra run if my legs/back are up to it. 
    another 4(.1 :) ) miles this morning. So I'm just 4 miles short of my low, lets-not-rush-things-again-and-get-injured target of 40 miles for Jan. Legs feel a bit tight but trying to get in the groove of doing some yoga to help things long term! 
  • Started running in November, I think, with Couch to 5k. 14 runs away from my first 100km month that I started on January 12th, to end on my birthday of February 12th. It's been between -5ºc and -15ºc every day and thick snow. I chose a bad month. My last run, as I've planned it, is 1km from my door to the Systembolaget, the booze shop here in Sweden. 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I had a very brief stay in Stockholm once for an Ericsson training course, and I remember the Systembolaget very well. It was like the best Argos ever.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • I had a very brief stay in Stockholm once for an Ericsson training course, and I remember the Systembolaget very well. It was like the best Argos ever.
    It's quite incredible. Super reasonably priced too! Which.. nearly makes up for how extortionate drinking out out is. 
  • I’m back running after taking November and December off to fatten up like a Christmas turkey, tentatively restarting w/c Jan 4th. I’m now just about back to my default of a fractionally sub-25 min 5k, and ran an 8k in 42 mins this morning which was slightly problematic due to unexpected path floods and closures.... I think it’d have been closer to 40 had this have not been the case. My aim is to get back to being able to run 10s without too much fuss ASAP - maybe next week will sort that. 

I guess the biggest comfort in a time of respiratory pandemic is that my VO2 Max is 51 at the minute, which apparently puts me at a fitness age of 20 / in the top 15% for a 39 year old man. 

Now where’s that beer...? 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3673
    I’m on a self imposed rest week. My self diagnosis is that I over trained; I signed up for an 8 week training plan on the bike and I found the last 2 weeks harder than they should have been. Certainly I could have managed them at the start of the program. 

May try something gentle at the weekend. 
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 959

I guess the biggest comfort in a time of respiratory pandemic is that my VO2 Max is 51 at the minute, which apparently puts me at a fitness age of 20 / in the top 15% for a 39 year old man. 

Congratulations. Thanks as well, I didn't think about there being ranges and tables by age. I just see the figure pop up on my watch after a run. 

Made me feel good to at vo max of 49 Im in the excellent range for my age (55, almost 56) Feeling chuffed now :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    relic245 said:

Congratulations. Thanks as well, I didn't think about there being ranges and tables by age. I just see the figure pop up on my watch after a run. 

Made me feel good to at vo max of 49 Im in the excellent range for my age (55, almost 56) Feeling chuffed now :)
    Can anyone explain how VO2 Max is calculated? I have it on my Garmin, but no idea how it's calculated and if it's accurate?