Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2021 Fretboard Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    January summary 0 runs and 0 km due to covid.

February has started with a 500 yard jog to the post box and back.

Baby steps!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • After stopping going to gym because of new born, then putting on the pounds over festive period, I decided to start again this year.
    I only do 5k runs but my goal is to get faster. At my peak I done it in 23:48.
    Yesterday was 26:47 so I'm crawling back the seconds.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    My January stats:
    87km
    12runs 
    9h 37m

Highlight for me though is my son's stats for January are 55km in 7 runs - I wish I'd been that fit when I'd just turned 7!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Manage 3 x 5km last week each under 35mins.. chuffed..

but looking at the stuff you lot do, I'll think I'll duck out for a bit..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    Manage 3 x 5km last week each under 35mins.. chuffed..

No need to duck out @bloodandtears we're all just doing the amount suitable for us! I had years when if I managed one run a fortnight then that was amazing, and most weeks I notice that I'm running past a sign post that used to be my half-way point when I was running 1km as my maximum! Consistency is what wins in the end.

Unless you're a pro then in my opinion the only person you can compare your exercise regime with is the "you" that you were last week  =)

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • January summary

I don't run so set a target of 20 miles, just to get my body used to it and hopefully find it enjoyable.
    Ended up doing 30 miles.

Main highlight were my motivation to run in different conditions and different moods - sometimes bright and energetic on a weekend, sometimes shattered after a day of work.

Also got my 5 mile time from 46:30 to 43:45, and my 5k back under 25:00.

February target is to run more often, totalling 40 miles. The pace will naturally increase, I'm sure, so I'm going to let that happen whilst focusing on motivation and trying to enjoy each run.

That's brilliant - you're chuffed with the pace and 3 runs per week shows you're motivated. Please keep posting to inspire me.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    January summary;

36.7 miles
    10 runs
    3.3 miles short of my 40 mile goal to start me off right for my 1000 mile year goal, which is a little annoying, but my hamstring is tight so I don't want to push it. Feel better today, so hopefully get out for a late night 4 miler later to start the month as I mean to go on - if I can manage a 3 x 4mile run per week pace, I'll make up the missed mileage in this month's target (I have a spreadsheet. yes I'm a loser) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    You lot have made me feel guilty so I'm just back from my second run of the year (plenty of cycling though) 3.6km at 5:51 including the steepest hill in the area. Looking back my fastest pace in the last few months.

I like running because my targets are personal to me, I like setting myself new goals and hitting them. My friend and I message a lot about our running, join the same distance challenges on the Nike app etc. He’s younger, in better shape and way quicker than me but we still spur each other on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Back on it...hopefully. 

Total distance - up and down the street. It's a start!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

No need to duck out.  Just cos there are other folks running further or quicker or whatever doesn't mean your achievement is any less valid.  There's always going to be someone doing 'better' than you, but there's always going to be someone not doing as well.  What you achieve is meaningful in the context of your own circumstances, nobody else can judge that.
    You are chuffed with with what you've done and thats whats important.  Good luck with keeping it up and do keep posting.
  • Thanks peeps, I will still be running.. I might start to track performance and then I can post PB achievements.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Thanks peeps, I will still be running.. I might start to track performance and then I can post PB achievements.
    That's what we like to hear. Use a GPS tracker like Strava or Mapmyrun (I find strata the best). even the free version, now they've removed some of the good stuff, is good for tracking distance, number of runs, PBs etc. 

• ewalewal Frets: 2582
    After stopping going to gym because of new born, then putting on the pounds over festive period, I decided to start again this year.
    I think I should stick to 5k runs and getting faster too - all recent injuries have been when doing easy longer runs. My 5k PB from 2015 is 24mins, best this year is 26m 30s - I'd settle for sub 25mins at the moment.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • ewal said:
    After stopping going to gym because of new born, then putting on the pounds over festive period, I decided to start again this year.
    I think I should stick to 5k runs and getting faster too - all recent injuries have been when doing easy longer runs. My 5k PB from 2015 is 24mins, best this year is 26m 30s - I'd settle for sub 25mins at the moment.
    Apologies if the following is stuff you already know, I don't mean to lecture, but........

The wisdom seems to be that the big majority of your exercise should be well within your capabilities, in this instance easy running, whatever easy is for you, distance and/or pace.  You need a big volume of easy time on your feet, which can be punctuated now and then with big efforts, PBs etc.

I only say this because I injured myself from scoring PBs.  My mistake, not yours, I know, but I get twitchy now when I see people talking about concentrating on PBs.  By all means have those goals, but don't try to achieve them in every run.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joneve said:

(I have a spreadsheet. yes I'm a loser) 
    I too have a spreadsheet, but I don't think that makes me a loser :)
  • My mistake, years back, was to try to keep my heart in the aerobic zone. For me, there was no enjoyment, and running so slowly actually gave me pains in my shins. I do 95% of my running at a "steady" pace - not blowing very much but not far from blowing. Then I just run Parkruns without any targeted sprint or hills training, sometimes as part of a long run - jog a few miles to Parkrun, knacker myself in the Parkrun, crawl back home.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    @BahHumbug you are entirely right - when I talk of PB's, I intend to get there steadily via a mix of easy runs, fartlek type sessions, etc. And more than else, listen to my body. Just slightly frustrated getting a calf strain when doing a slightly longer easy run, which I had made sure I was properly rested for. I accept though it was perhaps too long given end result, although I have been back running now regularly for 3 months, and felt I had a reasonable base in the legs. It was maybe just one of these things... Calf strains are pretty common among over 50s runners
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Still persevering with c25k.  Skipped the last run of week 2 as it was feeling a little easy so started week 3 instead.  Done 2 days of week 3 now and both times have finished with a 9 minute run rather than the 3 minutes on the schedule - might skip day 3 and start week 4 on Wednesday. 

Not impressive by the standards here but I'm happy that I'm making good progress.