Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2021 Fretboard Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• relic245relic245 Frets: 945
    RedRabbit said:
    Still persevering with c25k.  Skipped the last run of week 2 as it was feeling a little easy so started week 3 instead.  Done 2 days of week 3 now and both times have finished with a 9 minute run rather than the 3 minutes on the schedule - might skip day 3 and start week 4 on Wednesday. 

Not impressive by the standards here but I'm happy that I'm making good progress. 
    Sounds pretty impressive to me. 

When I did c25K I looked at week 1 and thought it was too easy so started at week 2. 

Not long into my first run I found that I couldn't actually run for 60 seconds without feeling like I was going to die so had to eat humble pie and go back to day 1. 

Some people are posting very impressive times on here. Don't try to keep up with them, swim in your own lane. (scuse the mixed metaphor)

Personally, I think that anyone who is not a serious runner and can run 5k in any timeframe is doing alright. I also think a sub 30 minute time is pretty impressive too whereas some are posting closer to 20 mins. Good for them and good for you for getting out there and running at all. 

This is not a competition thread and no one else is trying to make it one. Sometimes it's easy for us to do that to ourselves though and make ourselves feel inadequate. The way I'm reading it it's about us collectively celebrating our achievements, whatever that may mean. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    Amen to that - one of the reasons I quit Strava was the inherent competition element. I much prefer keeping my records to myself.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7145
    edited February 2021
    ewal said:
    Amen to that - one of the reasons I quit Strava was the inherent competition element. I much prefer keeping my records to myself.
    whereas that's what keeps me running! 

EDIT: I should add though, that it's not competition that I find helpful with Strava particularly, just that it serves as a public record of effort and progression, and keeping up with the Jones's helps me. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    BahHumbug said:
    ewal said:
    After stopping going to gym because of new born, then putting on the pounds over festive period, I decided to start again this year.
    I only do 5k runs but my goal is to get faster. At my peak I done it in 23:48.
    Yesterday was 26:47 so I'm crawling back the seconds.
    I think I should stick to 5k runs and getting faster too - all recent injuries have been when doing easy longer runs. My 5k PB from 2015 is 24mins, best this year is 26m 30s - I'd settle for sub 25mins at the moment.
    Apologies if the following is stuff you already know, I don't mean to lecture, but........

The wisdom seems to be that the big majority of your exercise should be well within your capabilities, in this instance easy running, whatever easy is for you, distance and/or pace.  You need a big volume of easy time on your feet, which can be punctuated now and then with big efforts, PBs etc.

I only say this because I injured myself from scoring PBs.  My mistake, not yours, I know, but I get twitchy now when I see people talking about concentrating on PBs.  By all means have those goals, but don't try to achieve them in every run.

I think PBs are dangerous.

When you first start you smash out a PB every week or two and it feels great.

Eventually you plateau and that can feel really demotivating. It's even worse when you've had a break and you aren't the same level any more.

Busted a gut for my last half and finished way worse that the year before because I had an underlying health problem. You have to feel proud of what you've achieved based on effort. 

Saying "Today I will get a PB" is just a route to injury.
  • I accept my age and build limit me as far as PBs. It’s nice to beat them occasionally but I think I’m happier with distance achievements now.

• Saying "Today I will get a PB" is just a route to injury.
    Absolutely.

My PBs have been set on those (very rare!) days when it happens to feel "right" from the start of a run to the end.  By the same token, some other days (like this morning) feel like running through treacle - and on those occasions I wouldn't even try to push myself, because I know my body is telling me it's not a good idea.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887

I think PBs are dangerous.

When you first start you smash out a PB every week or two and it feels great. 

Saying "Today I will get a PB" is just a route to injury.
    Absolutely I’ve cropped the quote but lots of wisdom in it. The plateau is inevitable after a few months for the new runner I’d say.

I don’t enjoy running at PB pace now.

You have to find the other motivation/goals to keep going - whatever that is - fresh air, nature, switching off, weight loss, increasing distance (sensibly), cumulative totals etc. 

I don’t think I’ll get a PB this year unless I try for the half distance and it’ll be a PB by default.  =)

Staying injury free will be my biggest challenge this year. Having already lost two weeks I ran again last week (steadily) and for lesser distances and I don’t feel right again. 

Previously known as stevebrum
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    I hear all the anti-PB arguments. Having cycled for years, I am totally at ease with my performance or lack thereof. As for running, I know I will plateau soon enough, however I also know I'm not there yet. Having said that, I'm actually much more in to running off road in the hills near me, where pace is dictated by the terrain. Also not averse to stopping to gander at the view!
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    4 miles yesterday. Hamstring's a bit tight now and back was sore before I left because I'd been crunched up under the stairs putting up shelves yesterday. 

BUT, I found my foam roller so will look forward to putting that to good use tonight. 

• I do yearly PBs. Sometimes they come out of the blue but I'm rarely aiming for one. I used to, I'd have a watch at the Parkrun and I'd know from my km times whether I was going OK. These days I get down to 22-23 minutes every year, I surprised myself a couple of years ago by doing 22:10.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    ewal said:
    I hear all the anti-PB arguments. Having cycled for years, I am totally at ease with my performance or lack thereof. As for running, I know I will plateau soon enough, however I also know I'm not there yet. Having said that, I'm actually much more in to running off road in the hills near me, where pace is dictated by the terrain. Also not averse to stopping to gander at the view!

I think that's been really helpful to me.
    The regular route I take is very windy, up and down and includes muddy bits and forest where the GPS rarely tracks properly. That means I would never get a PB.
    When I used to run down the Cambridge guided bus way it's totally flat and featureless and so the temptation is to try and nail it just for something to do.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    munckee said:
    January summary 0 runs and 0 km due to covid.

February has started with a 500 yard jog to the post box and back.

Baby steps!
    2.5 miles this morning, back in the game!  marathon on Sunday (not really!)
  • I ran 3km Monday to test my dodgy calf, seemed ok so I did 5km yesterday and it was fine so planning another 5km tomorrow.
    munckee said:
    munckee said:
    January summary 0 runs and 0 km due to covid.

February has started with a 500 yard jog to the post box and back.

Baby steps!
    2.5 miles this morning, back in the game!  marathon on Sunday (not really!)
    Without wishing to be totally gross my system has felt a little bunged since christmas, I forgot that there is nothing for clearing you out like a good run....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A 3 day mini-streak for me, 7 miles each time. It felt pretty good, I can feel a few very small niggles in ligaments and muscles which I never get from a 2-day streak, which I take as good exercise.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • my knee has developed a sharp pain so I'm out of the game for bit.. pushed myself to hard towards the 5km I suspect.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

edited February 2021
    A 3 day mini-streak for me, 7 miles each time. It felt pretty good, I can feel a few very small niggles in ligaments and muscles which I never get from a 2-day streak, which I take as good exercise.
    Do you wear compression socks?  I don't wear them routinely but if I am breaking in new running shoes etc I weat them to avoid calf strains.
  • munckee said:
    A 3 day mini-streak for me, 7 miles each time. It felt pretty good, I can feel a few very small niggles in ligaments and muscles which I never get from a 2-day streak, which I take as good exercise.
    Do you wear compression socks?  I don't wear them routinely but if I am breaking in new running shoes etc I weat them to avoid calf strains.
    No. You're lucky I'm wearing socks at all. :) When the rain eases off I'll be back in thin thong sandals. To be honest my style of running - quite upright, mid or forefoot landing, highish cadence, is pretty good for avoiding pulls etc. The way I'm feeling now is just a sign of overuse, but it's fairly mild and I'm happy that it's not a bad thing at the moment.
    munckee said:
    No. You're lucky I'm wearing socks at all. :) When the rain eases off I'll be back in thin thong sandals. To be honest my style of running - quite upright, mid or forefoot landing, highish cadence, is pretty good for avoiding pulls etc. The way I'm feeling now is just a sign of overuse, but it's fairly mild and I'm happy that it's not a bad thing at the moment.
    I find being 14-15 stone depending on missus munckee's dieting cycle and me never warming up or down is a recipe for the odd strain!  I generally run through it unless it's bad enough to affectmy gait,
  • Yes I tend to concentrate on relaxing whatever I am feeling the slight discomfort in. It usually helps.