Rhythm technique videos for funk

What's Hot
I came downstairs telling the missus I've just been  battling with playing on the off beat and getting frustrated with loosing myself in the rhythm and not playing on that all important upstroke at the start of the progression. 

I'm looking for some good videos that cover funk and rhythm technique well. A couple in the band have been progressing really well during covid and got load of quality material together so I'm finding voicings and rhythm to complement. Turns out I've been noodling round three finger shapes a la nile Rogers but my rhythm technique isn't up to scratch so I need some serious drilling!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jono111Jono111 Frets: 217
    Justin Sandercoe has some funk stuff, don't know if it is too basic for you, it is near the bottom of the page.
    https://old.justinguitar.com/en/RH-000-RhythmGuitar.php

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited January 2021
    Do a search for: Funk Rhythm Guitar with Ross Bolton.

A great tutorial video by a fantastic funk guitarist, now sadly deceased.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    Rich210 said:
    I came downstairs telling the missus I've just been  battling with playing on the off beat and getting frustrated with loosing myself in the rhythm and not playing on that all important upstroke at the start of the progression. 

I'm looking for some good videos that cover funk and rhythm technique well. A couple in the band have been progressing really well during covid and got load of quality material together so I'm finding voicings and rhythm to complement. Turns out I've been noodling round three finger shapes a la nile Rogers but my rhythm technique isn't up to scratch so I need some serious drilling!

Oz Noy has a Truefire course that might be right up your street. Josh Smith has some good vids about rhythm on YouTube too. 

The Nile Rogers style is deceptively difficult if you’re kind of new to funk rhythm. It’s pretty much constant 16ths punctuated by the left hand, but it’s harder to do well than it sounds.

If you’re struggling to play on the off beat, set up a click an only play on the off beats. It’ll feel weird at first and you’ll probably fall back to the down beat, but you’ll gradually start to get it.   

Everything you need is on the records. Start learning and playing along with James Brown, The Meters, Tower Of Power, Chic etc. The parts can be tricky, but they are generally pretty consistent. The thing is getting that consistency and getting that awareness of beat placement and as the parts are quite repetitive, you’ll be drilling them in anyway. 

• Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Lots to think about and look through.  Pre covid I was doing more drumming than guitar so I'm hoping I've got some transferable skills from those days! 

It sounds like doing paradiddles which is what I expected. I'm well up for the grind I'm 100% sure it'll  be worth it.  

Tha ks for pointing me in the right direction guys!  
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Just been having a quick scan over some of the resources and they all look really really good. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Do a search for: Funk Rhythm Guitar with Ross Bolton.

A great tutorial video by a fantastic funk guitarist, now sadly deceased.

I worked my way through the two parts on YouTube a few years ago. He does refer to the booklet included with the VHS but it’s not really important, I found it a clear breakdown of step by step how to play basic funk guitar. 
    I’ve never really played any funk songs in a band but it’s a good primer for improving your rhythm chops generally. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    The first thing you need to learn is how to do muted 16ths convincingly.

Listen to the intro of upside down by Diana Ross / Chic where it starts with the muted strumming.

Notice the accenting, it's not all even dynamics.

The next thing is to ensure that you never stop doing that motion. If it's on beat its a down stroke. If it's off beat it's an up stroke.

Next count 1 e & a with the muting.

Now practice going through putting a chord on every 16th of the bar in turn
    so ex1 is all mutes except the 1. ex2 is all mutes except the e of 1 and go all the way through until the a of 4.

Also learn to play "soul man" and "I'm coming out"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Look at Paul Jackson Jr's 'The Science of Rhythm Guitar' - there are several videos out there on YT

Jeff Tamelier is also worth listening to (he used to play in Tower of Power) and another plus one for the late great Ross Bolton