Great/classic songs that don't have a middle eight/bridge

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5616
I have to confess that when writing I get hung up on the bridge.

I can usually come up with some good riffs/hooks/progressions for the verse and chorus parts but when it comes to the bridge I'm usually stuffed.

While having a bridge can bring the song almost to a climax, drive the point home or lead into that epic solo it's also not necessary and putting one in for the sake of just having a middle eight is rather arbitrary if it serves no purpose to the song.

It occurred to me a while ago that some of the greatest and most loved songs ever written don't have a middle eight.  Heck, some don't even have a progression deviation in the chorus (hmm, some song about a southern state of the US springs to mind).

So, in the interests of inspiration please list a few songs you like that don't have a bridge?

TIA

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    An example is one of my favourite songs, 'Johnny and Mary' by Robert Palmer.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    A lot of songs with repeating chord sequences don't tend to have a proper bridge, songs like With or Without you, Sex on Fire, Get Lucky etc. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    Wichita Lineman!

Quite a few Beatles songs, eg Help, Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man, Lady Madonna, Revolution, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds...
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    That makes me feel a whole lot better. If the biggest band ever gets away with it then it’ll work for me too :D 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Haych said:
    That makes me feel a whole lot better. If the biggest band ever gets away with it then it’ll work for me too :D 
    "Feel a Whole Lot Better" by The Byrds (or Tom Petty) is  a great song without a bridge  =)  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I was thinking about this and was suddenly struck by the thought that Folsom prison blues not only contains no bridge but also no chorus !! it's basically just 3 verses and 2 solos. 
    Just goes to prove, there's no rules in music 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 296
    Olivers Army ...... Elvis Costello
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    Jaycee said:
    Olivers Army ...... Elvis Costello
    Not sure about that one. What would you call the section beginning with "Hong Kong is up for grabs"?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I always liked a middle eight section in a song. In the last originals band i was in (20+ years ago), the guitarist said, "If we'd stop adding bridges to the songs we'll have a bigger set in no time." So everything just became verse-chorus-verse-chorus for us.

There's probably more songs without a middle eight than with I'd say. Certainly in the material I listen to.
    So is the bridge the part that leads the verse into the chorus and the middle 8 a short piece not heard before in the song that generally leads to the final choruses ? ... because that's how I've always thought of them 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • The terms can have different meanings between nations. I have a habit of using either, sometimes in the same sentence.

In the UK the middle eight is the bit before the solo or last string of choruses, but I think the Americans call it the bridge. Whereas the bridge in UK is anything between two sections, what Americans call pre-chorus for a section between verse and chorus.