Faith Mercury fans?

What's Hot
ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
I've fingerpicked ever since i started playing guitar many moons ago, flatpicking, arpeggio etc and since the March lockdown i've been trying to master the dead thumb delta blues type of thing. I've got a couple of dreadnoughts and a jumbo acoustic but quite like the idea of a parlour size 12 fret. Faith seem to get a good press and a Mercury could just be the thing. Is there much difference in sound between the naked and gloss ones and is the scoop version really practical, allowing much more access passed the 12th fret? Any advice appreciated.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    Not had any hands on with a Mercury but have a Neptune and it’s a great guitar. Impressive build - has some nice trim that would cost big extra upcharge money with the large American makers. Recommend the brand anyway!
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Problem is you can’t get to try one anywhere.
  • AlanLAlanL Frets: 0
    I have a Mercury Eclipse and I would recommend it. It's a lovely guitar with a lovely tone.  The scoop seems to work well, at least for my fingers.   I seem to remember one reviewer describing it as having a more modern sound.  If you are playing a lot of blues, it doesn't have the traditional "honky" sound that something like the Art & Lutherie Roadhouse has.

I can't comment on the difference between the naked and gloss version of the Mercury but I have had both versions of the Faith Venus.   My own preference was very much for the gloss version as the sound seemed more focused (to my ears anyway). 
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    I had a Mercury Eclipse (a lefty) a while back and I was very impressed by the sound and build quality. I was not such a fan of the 43mm nut width though.

For a step up in the price range, I would strongly recommend the Terry Pack parlour - handmade, all solid woods and incredible sound and playabilty - along with a 45mm nut width.

There is one for sale at the moment  from a London-based music retailer in Denmark Street at £799 in mint condition - https://reverb.com/uk/item/29842376-terry-pack-plrs-natural

I had the lefty version and have recently sold it as I mainly play nylon strung instruments nowadays. I'm already having regrets. The person who bought it from me was as wowed by it as I was
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3676
    I've had a Venus and still have a Lyra. Both guitars came ready to play with no setup needed - although preferences may vary. Both great players, with great sound and build quality
  • BingManBingMan Frets: 35
    Never played one but by the looks of it that 'scoop' isn't going to give you much more access over the none scoop version. But if you really want access to the dusty frets you probably shouldn't be looking at a 12 fret!!

I own a couple of 12 fretters and love them... and to be honest delta blues thumb stuff rarely goes past the 12th fret so i think you'd be fine with the none scoop. 

Not sure your budget but a Waterloo by Collings could be right up your street so worth checking them out too

I could live without the scoop but  i think the classic burst with scoop is the only one with a 45mm nut. My regular acoustic is 45mm and i do prefer a wider fretboard and all the others are 43mm so it looks like it would have to be that one.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Agree with @AlanL not my cup of tea after having one and playing a few. Sound kinda sterile to me, Faith generally that is. Not that specific model
    check out recording king - they do lots of smaller body guitars which are great for bluesy stuff and are very affordable
    BingMan said:
    check out recording king - they do lots of smaller body guitars which are great for bluesy stuff and are very affordable
    I have looked at other makes but one of the reasons i wanted a Faith is because my 10 year old grandaughter is called Faith and she's learning to play guitar so i thought it may inspire her to play more if she borrowed it and had it one day. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1576
    edited January 2021
    ronnyb said:
    BingMan said:
    I have looked at other makes but one of the reasons i wanted a Faith is because my 10 year old grandaughter is called Faith and she's learning to play guitar so i thought it may inspire her to play more if she borrowed it and had it one day. 
    I was going to say Faith wouldn’t be my first choice to play the delta blues on but Scrub that after reading this! 
    I bet she’d love that....you can play the blues on any guitar.

shame they didn't name her Martin!  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AqmltdAqmltd Frets: 16
    She could change her name to Recording King
    you could always get a recording king and do some sort of stencil job on it that includes her name... sorta like these beauts

• Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    I had a Mercury in the Natural finish (not the naked) for a while. Lovely guitar and sounded really nice recorded. It only went as at the time I bought and sold a lot, so it was 1 in 1 out. Nothing bad to say about it really, other than I'm not a fan of Faith's headstock. Call me petty :)

• ShadowShadow Frets: 72
    I've just bought a Naked Mercury. Surprisingly loud and decent bass. A hint of boxiness due to its size but a fun guitar to play. I'd prefer a 1 3/4 nut but it is what it is!
  • BingMan said:
    shame they didn't name her Martin!  ;)
    Taylor Martin would cost you a fortune in guitars.
  • Not a faith, but I've just been watching this and thinking "I fancy one of those"!

12 fret parlour (Auden Emily Rose):

I wasn't sure how i'd get on with a 12 fret parlor after having played dreadnoughts and jumbos since i'd started playing so without being able to test drive one i bought a very reasonably priced Alvarez AP70 that the seller was willing to post. I restrung it and tweaked the trussrod but the day after, the grandaughter nabbed it and its disappeared up to hers so i may have to look for another if she bonds with it.