Now Google Play Music is dead what are you doing - anyone using Plex?

ewalewal Frets: 2583
I finally got forced off of GPM and on to YouTube Music in December. I don't like YTM at all so I'm thinking about other music listening options. I don't want to move to another streaming service, so I'm thinking of setting up a server and using something like Plex.

What are other former GPM users doing? Anyone using Plex?
The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes. I have a Plex and all my CDs and DVDs are ripped to my NAS so I can access them from anywhere. I also have a Plex Lifetime Pass ($80 in a new year sale) which, amongst other benefits (such as hardware accelerated video playback) gives you access to PlexAmp, a dedicated music smartphone app which is way WAY better than the Google Play Music app and the general Plex app. I don't miss GPM at all.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Never tried it with a dedicated NAS, but I did try to use it both with OneDrive (which was supposed to be supported) and Dlna with files on a local server, and eventually it frustrated me enough to dump it and just use Spotify (even though I have some stuff Spotify doesn't). It was a very big library, so that might have been the issue.
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    I too hate YTM but I have some stuff there that I'd really like to be able to have access and I can't upload it to Spotify or Tidal... 
    I can't wrap my head on the way they setup up YTM after GPM! 
  • When GPM died I switched our family plan to Spotify.

I don't use my NAS and music server anymore. I still have all my ripped CDs on the desktop PC (and the CDs are next to the hifi). But I've got less audiophile has time has gone on. Spotify streaming to my hifi is certainly good enough - and I can't be bothered playing the silly game of "i can really tell the difference to my FLAC files, honest I can" anymore.  

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I switched to a new EE plan and got Apple Music free so I'm using that. It's actually pretty good even considering I'm using Android.

I stopped using Spotify in the past because their App was terrible but might give it a go if another 3 months for 99p offer comes up. 
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I use Logitech Media Server (aka Squeezebox) for my ripped CDs, running on a Raspberry Pi.

Logitech actually discontinued the Squeezebox range a few years ago, but the software is still officially available and community maintained. You can find the hardware players secondhand, or even make your own. And you can get apps that will play from the server too. If you change your mind about streaming services then it can integrate with Spotify.

I have Plex for DVDs and it's very good for that, but it struggled with my music collection, while LMS handles it with ease. I've been using it for over a decade, I think it's brilliant.