I tried to play some Yngwie Malmsteen - Trilogy Op Suite 5

Spent weeks trying to get my picking up to speed and still haven't properly nailed it but almost there.  Have totally renewed respect for how incredible Yngwie's technique and how good his finger strength must be to keep this going for 2hrs!  Good work out for sure! Could be my new guitar shop testing out a guitar jam - if i can still remember it in 6 months time lol

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    Man, that's a good effort.  I've been learning this for a while now and it's an absolute bastard!  Those runs as the start are the bit that get me, zero to 215bpm straight in ... 'mare!

I spent a LOT of time with this at massively reduced tempos so a couple of little bits that might help.  The first part of the main descending run is all legato to my ears, so pick 15, hammer 16, pull to 15 an 13.  Makes the 16ths easier at this speed but more importantly means you can hit the first note on the B string with an upstroke ... this means if you follow alternate picking you're naturally hitting the G of the open string riff on a downstroke and you're good to go.

I think the one of your arpeggios is off, before the dimished sweeps climbing back up the neck.  I think it's 4 on the B string and 5 then 7 on the E.  I think this was possibly unintentional origianally but it does pre-shape your hand for the dimished sweeps coming next.

None of that is criticism btw, it's a really cracking playing through!  Just a couple of bits that may make some of it easier, certainly did for me.

Good luck with the third movement!
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4088
    Hey @Bezzer thanks for the notes,  cool you know it too. That's so many covers of it out there that are perfect I'm nowhere near close to them yet :)

I'm pretty sure I was aiming for the 4,5,7 rising arpeggio you decide,  what came out though is anyone guess :lol:   

When Yngwie plays it his pick barely moves and his fingers are so fast and fluid it's almost unbelievable that it's real.  

Cheers