This girl can really sing...

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 813
I don't like some of her material, but boy can this girl sing...

Performed live with a live studio rock and roll band with a string section and a brass section - and I was really impressed.

Excellent pitch, great dynamics, and the way she executes melisma is seriously impressive...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Watching bits. I'd live without the home reaction shots, although the fakery of reaction shots has become a bit of a pet hate of mine anyway. She does do the X Factor/ pub singer rush the line so you can put a big note at the end kind of singing at times which I'd also live without. But yes she can sing. 
    These clips are from Singer which seems to be an incredibly complex Chinese singing competition although with established pro singers rather than plucky amateurs. Jessie won her series against the Chinese and Thai competition.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I'm not really into the 'music as competition' thing, but am fascinated by what makes a good 'pop' song.
    Stumbled on Mileys last album, and inevitably the re-mixes and mashups.
    Have a look at some of the latest stuff she has done in a more rock direction.
    Extraordinary voice, considering she has had it completely ruined by a long career doing the wrong things.
    This show had 3 live songs, this is just an example.

I think she is 28 or so, but there is a lot of talent here.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 813
    And this is vocal perfection (IMO) - even if the song itself might not be everyone's cup of tea...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Been doing a bit of experimenting with some of the Miley tracks I mentioned above.
    I found a few different versions of the track 'Midnight sky' to compare to the album track.
    one was a BBC  acoustic 'live' session
    one was a US 'unplugged' session
    another was the 2020 VMA performance
    another was 'live at the whiskey' charity gig,
    And I also found a couple of versions of the 'edge of midnight' mashup with Stevie Nix.
    The Stern version above, the album version, and the video version which inspired it.
    These tracks all line up perfectly in a DAW, the mashup and the original song are both 110 BPM and the two acoustic versions are both 106 bpm.
    They ALL appear to have the same vocal tracks, a mix of a couple of takes.
    The Stern one surprised me, as it is a very well done live performance, but the track matches both the CD version and the video version.
    The 2 'acoustic' versions are both 'live' sessions, but are exact matches at a slower bpm, with some the same vocal phrases that can be heard on the 'live at the whiskey' version with a full rock backing.
    I don't think this takes anything away from her talent really, the vocals are great, but it does seem that a lot of effort has gone into making a live performance look convincing.
    There are very small timing differences with the tracks in my DAW, but it does sound like a single vocal with a delay rather than 3 separate takes.
    'Live at the Whiskey' also included great versions of 'Zombie' and 'Heart of Glass', and I would swear they were 'live', but the 'midnight sky' track has the same vocal used on both slower 'acoustic' sessions.
    Given that she has had surgery, and her voice has been damaged, I can very well understand her using lip sync, but it is done so well you would never know.
    Unless you put the tracks into a DAW and see the waveforms and timing. There is some variation, but I think this is more of a mixing thing, rather than different performances, if it is different performances, they are amazingly consistent across the 7 tracks I compared to the original cd track.

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    cheers for this always liked her, great Singer
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.