JMP 2203/2204

What's Hot

Comments

• chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    ICBM said:
    shaunm said:

Find a used 2104 JMP combo. It’s everything you want sound wise and cheaper than buying a RI Marshall new.
    I absolutely love these, but I'm not quite sure about hitting the sweet spot at practical volumes without attenuation. Although they're not as apocalyptic as a 2203, they're still bloody loud :).

They're also an absolute pig to carry, especially if you're on the shorter side like me :(.
     Yes that's a lot of amp - I was in a band briefly where the other guitarist had one of these and the keyboard player and I would have a regular bet as to how long it would take for the sound man / proprietor to come over and tell him to turn it down.  I'm against amps where I have to have an additional attenuator to make it sound the best.  I had overlooked the studios - probably would do the job with an oversized 2x12.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Some of you may have clocked this on eBay but I snagged a ‘78 JMP 2204 and 30w black back loaded 4x12.

Can’t wait to get it!

Any suggestions on eq settings to get me started?
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Congrats. How much out of curiosity?  Anyway - pretty much every one of those I've had lived with the preamp volume on 7 (roll back the guitar volume to clean up), all EQs half way up, presence to taste (low at lower volumes, going up as the volume increases), master at 4 or above. Instant Powerage tone in a box. Then hit with a TS808 or TS9 for anything from hair metal to death metal. I hope you have no near neighbours!
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 333
    Congrats Chris, amazing news.  Let us know your impressions when it arrives!

PS - pics or it’s a Bugera.
    bananaman said:
    Congrats. How much out of curiosity?  Anyway - pretty much every one of those I've had lived with the preamp volume on 7 (roll back the guitar volume to clean up), all EQs half way up, presence to taste (low at lower volumes, going up as the volume increases), master at 4 or above. Instant Powerage tone in a box. Then hit with a TS808 or TS9 for anything from hair metal to death metal. I hope you have no near neighbours!
    £1,700 for the amp, cab and a THD hot plate.

Probably not a ‘bargain’ but seemed reasonable compared to what some people are asking just for the amp!

Thanks for the settings tips.
  • Yep. I doubt you'll lose money, as it's probably the greatest amp/speaker combination of all time!  If you want to make it a full stack I've got a near mint 1978 b cab that don't use.

spirit7 said:
    Congrats Chris, amazing news.  Let us know your impressions when it arrives!

PS - pics or it’s a Bugera.
    Thanks, Charles!
  • bananaman said:
    Yep. I doubt you'll lose money, as it's probably the greatest amp/speaker combination of all time!  If you want to make it a full stack I've got a near mint 1978 b cab that don't use.
    How much you looking at for the cab? 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3596
    edited February 2021
    You are going to be delighted I am sure.. Full Stack.. Yep! 

I am living the dream... ‘79 JMP 50w Master Volume.     I replaced the original filter caps when I got it about 4 years ago. Only paid £450 by private sale.

Bright and brash and it just sounds better the more you crank it.   Great clean tones on the low input.  Very touch responsive and it sings with an OD.   Gain on 7, TMB on middle and presence to suit.

The old circuits are super easy to mod too.  My gain is a push pull to adjust the bright cap value/setting at lower gain / volume settings or with a strat.  Instant SRV tones abound.

Can cover anything with any guitar.   I primarily use it for recording as I like an fx loop and channel switching live.. Mesa or DSL mainly.

If i was in the market today, the new studio series JCM800 model with an fx loop might be more versatile.  I am also impressed with the crunch channel on my DSL.. it has the same character.
  • bananaman said:
    Yep. I doubt you'll lose money, as it's probably the greatest amp/speaker combination of all time!  If you want to make it a full stack I've got a near mint 1978 b cab that don't use.
    How much you looking at for the cab? 

I'll PM you.
    I’ve got the amp! The sound from it is just perfect for me.  Completely agree that it is the sound of rock! There’s just nothing else to say.

That was only at quiet volumes as well so looking forward to hearing it set up with the power brake and cooking a bit more.

I think this one probably needs a decent service though. A couple of pots are a bit scratchy.

It also stinks of smoke, but I guess that adds to the mojo...

It’s also surprisingly light for a big 50w head.
  • Don't worry about scratchy pots - do worry about the impedance selector not being loose. Tape it in place if it is. Or better still, hard solder the connection to the speaker output of your choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    CHrisP86 said:

I think this one probably needs a decent service though. A couple of pots are a bit scratchy.
    There are also a couple of things that should be addressed for safety and reliability if it's the one that was on Ebay recently.

That one had the old-style pull-out/fall-out impedance selector and may have a Bulgin power socket as well, although there was no pic showing it. (Deliberately?)

I agree with bananaman, it's best to either replace the selector with a modern rotary switch type, hardwire it to your chosen impedance, or connect one impedance to each of the speaker jacks if you plan to only use one cab at a time with it. Those selectors are responsible for a lot of blown OTs on these amps.

CHrisP86 said:

Have you looked inside? ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    CHrisP86 said:
    I’ve got the amp! The sound from it is just perfect for me.  Completely agree that it is the sound of rock! There’s just nothing else to say.

That was only at quiet volumes as well so looking forward to hearing it set up with the power brake and cooking a bit more.

It also stinks of smoke, but I guess that adds to the mojo...

Awesome Chris!

Tell you what - I'll stick my head out of my bedroom window at about 6pm. If you could bash out a few power chords with the amp on full chat, then I should be able to hear you. I mean Haywards Heath is only 16.1 miles from you, according to Google maps...

B) 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks, @ICBM.

I’ll post a picture of the back later.

It’s not got the Bulgin power socket but not sure on the differences on impedance selector.

Lol, yes I had a look inside. Hilariously oversized head shell!

Has Mullard EL34’s and JJ 12ax7’s.  Think I’ll find some rft 12ax7 to replace the JJ’s.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    CHrisP86 said:

Think I’ll find some rft 12ax7 to replace the JJ’s.
    Unfortunately I've just sold the last of mine, apart from a few random ones that I wouldn't really like to take money for. They're not too rare though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

@mctoot sadly it’s only the 2204 so maxes out about 15 miles...  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    CHrisP86 said:
    @mctoot sadly it’s only the 2204 so maxes out about 15 miles...  :)
    Ah yes, of course, silly me. 

I think it was the 2203 that was played by Disaster Area (of Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy fame)...

"Disaster Area are a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones and are generally regarded as not only the loudest rock band in the Galaxy, but also as being the loudest noise of any kind at all. Disaster Area are fronted by Hotblack Desiato... Regular concert goers judged that the best sound balance was usually to be heard from within large concrete bunkers some thirty-seven miles away from the stage, whilst the musicians themselves played their instruments by remote control from within a heavily insulated spaceship which stayed in orbit around the planet - or more frequently around a completely different planet. "

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

edited February 2021
    Love the amp but the incense smell is getting to me!  My wife hates it as well so the rig is currently stuck in the garage...

If I got a new head shell and cab built, would a smelly old empty head shell and cab have any value?

I’d like a new head shell anyway as something smaller would be useful.

Would just be a shame to either throw the originals away or just shove them in the loft.

Unless I just sell the cab, which is maybe more sensible.
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2335
    You should be able to get rid of the smell.  A good clean, some fresh air on a sunny day, some on those crystal packets to take away moisture.  Shake and vac, or whatever it is called. 

I bought a second hand guitar from a student and the case reeked of pizza.  Most of the above plus some bicarbonate of soda.  Sorted.