Ascending runs and scales...

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
edited January 2021 in Technique
Am I the only one who can come down a run a lot faster than I can ascend?

it’s bugging the crap out of me... for example... 
Picking
5,6,7,8 - e
5,6,7,8 - a
5,6,7,8 - d
5,6,7,8 - g
5,6,7,8 - b
5,6,7,8 - e

I can comfortably manage 16ths at 80bpm

going backwards I can manage 16th at 140 (still picking).

My fingers don’t work in that direction!!!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4088
    Sounds like you need to watch  Mr Batcombe

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited January 2021
    Try practising upwards on strings 6, 4 and 2; then downwards on 1, 3 and 5. 

Also practise on one string, the following fingering (or frets)

Then try this pattern

then there are four more patterns;

1324 3241 2413 4132

1342 3421 4213 2134

1423 4231 2314 3142

1432 4321 3214 2143

All picking. 

Then choose a pattern and run up the strings with it, 4nps, from bottom e to top e. When you get to the B string you’re at the beginning of the sequemce again. When you finish the top e string you’re halfway theough the sequence. Then shift up a semitone and play the 3rd group in the pattern, then switch to the B string and play the last group in the pattern, then it’s G string to start the pattern. 

So you’ve done 6 strings, ascending amd descending; that’s 12 groups of 4 notes, so you’ve run through the pattern three times. And you’ve gone upwards on frets 1-4, and downwards on frets 2-5. 

Then you can go up again on frets 3-6, etc. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4088
    Sounds like you need to watch  Mr Batcombe

Lol Mr Batcombe stoopid autocorrect. 

Of course I mean Mr Batio :+1: 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited January 2021
    The notes descending (one semitone lower) are the same as the fast bit in Rock Around The Clock, but that's at 180bpm.

I've not tried ascending that lick before and it's definitely a lot harder.  I just tried it going up and I can only comfortably manage 120bpm across all strings going up. Although I can get 140bpm as a speed burst across just two strings. I can't consistently get three strings ascending at 140bpm the moment. Something else to practice for me.

Can you get it as a speed burst across just two strings, then try to increase the number of strings? That's what I'm going to try.

It's not a competition.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    The notes descending (one semitone lower) are the same as the fast bit in Rock Around The Clock, but that's at 180bpm.

I've not tried ascending that lick before and it's definitely a lot harder.  I just tried it going up and I can only comfortably manage 120bpm across all strings going up. Although I can get 140bpm as a speed burst across just two strings. I can't consistently get three strings ascending at 140bpm the moment. Something else to practice for me.

Can you get it as a speed burst across just two strings, then try to increase the number of strings? That's what I'm going to try.

Can’t even get faster on one string with four semitones in a row :) even hammering on!!!!

just drumming my fingers on the table, they drum a lot faster in one direction!!!!

im just going to set the click to whole notes and 320bpm... at least that way I can say I ascend quickly ;)

Maybe it goes back to the flappy little finger again!!!!

• poopot said:

Can’t even get faster on one string with four semitones in a row :) even hammering on!!!!

just drumming my fingers on the table, they drum a lot faster in one direction!!!!

im just going to set the click to whole notes and 320bpm... at least that way I can say I ascend quickly ;)

Maybe it goes back to the flappy little finger again!!!!

I think I've got a flappy little finger as well :)

Perhaps practice it as hammer-ons. What about just your first three fingers?

Anyway your guitar playing always sounds good to me.

It's not a competition.

I think I've got a flappy little finger as well :)

Perhaps practice it as hammer-ons. What about just your first three fingers?

Anyway your guitar playing always sounds good to me.

First three are ok... relatively quick!... 

watching that vid @fastonebaz posted, the guys fingers hardly leave the fretboard, at one point it just looks like his hand is vibrating on the strings!... right at the start when he’s on the red LP... bizarrely, Jareds pinky is jumping quite a way of the fret board... he seems to favour his first three!!!!

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Try string skipping one or two strings between notes, that should slow you down.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    GuyBoden said:
    Try string skipping one or two strings between notes, that should slow you down.
    I wanna go faster!

slowing down is no problem :)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8692
    Legato?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Try slanting your pick on to the strings, and also angling your pick so the tip is slightly pointing towards the headstock. Doing one/both of those I can get to about 180 both ways...not doing that, and having the pick pointing straight down into the body and no slant - not a chance. I've also worked a lot on my 3rd/4th finger independence over the last year which helps a lot, although it's still not perfect!