Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    An iconic record producer - the famous ‘wall of sound’ and the Beatles Let It Be album being among his many musical achievements. Shame it was soured by a criminal conviction leading to imprisonment that he was never to leave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    Whislt there is no denying his incredible talent it came at the cost of an ability to function as a normal human being.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    If you read contemporary reports from those who worked with him, he was a nasty piece of work all round 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6121
    tFB Trader
    sweepy said:
    If you read contemporary reports from those who worked with him, he was a nasty piece of work all round 
    convicted murderer..... he's not likely to be the nicest of chaps.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15956
    FH
    tae be or not tae be
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    He's a convicted murderer. Think I'll save my RIP wishes for others a little more worthy. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    edited January 2021
    Reading a few things about him. Threatening people with a gun seems to have been an almost constant behaviour. 
    Important as a producer but got very left behind I guess, which probably didn’t help his mental well being either. 
    Seems like he was never getting out of prison alive and Covid has spread up that process.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Sorry Phil but good riddance.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    Convicted murderer who was once a record producer dies....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • One of the all time great producers. By all accounts a pretty terrible human. 
  • BodBod Frets: 1298
    Even Harold Shipman helped some patients.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He made John Lennon look Sane

"Unknown to Lennon, each night Spector would remove the master tapes from the studio, and move them to his house"

Fuckng Nutter :)

“Ken sent me.”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    I think I would cautiously say he was a very troubled man, rather than just purely nasty. Unquestionably one of the greatest record producers ever, just a deeply unpleasant person in many ways as well. I think you can remember him for both.

RIP Lana Clarkson.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    I read a biography of him a few years ago and it wasn't flattering. The only pages where he didn't come across as a shit were those that didn't mention him.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4524
    The Wall of Sound was a super idea
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    I remember that pic when he was seen with no wig at the appeal I think ..  startling 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    Interesting, but not surprising: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55702855
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I actually don't mind the headline that focussed on his career rather than crime. Murder's horrible obviously and he was clearly a pretty fucked up person, but I suspect for all of us here his actions and personality were very far removed from our own lives and experience beyond reading about it in the news 15 years ago. On the other hand, the music he produced has probably touched many lives in more tangible ways.

That said, I think the Wall of Sound gets more credit than it deserves - it's not like big ensembles didn't exist already, he just used them in a slightly different context. If he hadn't done it, others would have.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    Cirrus said:
    I actually don't mind the headline that focussed on his career rather than crime. Murder's horrible obviously and he was clearly a pretty fucked up person, but I suspect for all of us here his actions and personality were very far removed from our own lives and experience beyond reading about it in the news 15 years ago. On the other hand, the music he produced has probably touched many lives in more tangible ways.

That said, I think the Wall of Sound gets more credit than it deserves - it's not like big ensembles didn't exist already, he just used them in a slightly different context. If he hadn't done it, others would have.
    I suspect you might view things a little differently if you were a member of the victim's family.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Yep, that's very true. But murders happen all the time, there's a reason the death of Spector in particular is in the news and being talked about at all, and that's his career. So it is important. That doesn't mean I don't empathise with the victims of a murder, I just don't think it really serves to get speculatively outraged on behalf of some people none of us in this thread know, and it's not like the headline is the sum total of the content of the article anyway.