Studio monitor suggestions to go with my fm3

What's Hot
I am currently using some equator d5 (I think that’s the model, 5 inch speakers) monitors with my fractal fm3 which sound great but I am tempted to try something new. What monitors are you all using that perform well with modellers? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    Genelec 8010s.

I love these little speakers, anD they have sounded great with my FM3, Kemper etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3651
    OK, do you want great, as in you are just play for your own pleasure, or accurate so that you are hearing the true sound to enable you to get a better mix that will translate onto other systems?

If you are looking for an accurate monitoring system then, before spending any money on new monitors, start by treating the room acoustics (broadband absorbers at the mirror points, bass traps in the corners etc).  99 times out of 100 this will give you the biggest improvement.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    In the budget end it is always going to be a trade off between size, colouration and cost.

Neummann KH80 and KH120 are good options.
    Genelecs are good too.

People seem enthusiastic about Yamaha HS5's but personally I don't like them.

• I have Focal alpha 50’s and they are excellent. They are front ported so they are fine if positioned in tight corners. I had limited space so these worked best for me.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    If you have the cash for an FM3 get the Neumanns
  • stratologystratology Frets: 181
    edited January 2021
    KS Digital monitors. I use C55s with the Kemper and for mixing. Incredibly detailed, revealing monitors, with a great sound stage. 

I got them after a recommendation from a mastering engineer, who had directly compared them to his €20,000+ Duntechs, and was a little shocked at how close they came...
    I have the KH80's on my Eurorack system.
    If they can handle the bass of a modular synth then they are fine for guitar.
  • octatonic said:
    I have the KH80's on my Eurorack system.
    If they can handle the bass of a modular synth then they are fine for guitar.
    That's one on the list for later in the year when I move. 

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    octatonic said:
    In the budget end it is always going to be a trade off between size, colouration and cost.

Genelecs are good too.

@octatonic I was looking at these - why don't you like them?
    Neill said:
    octatonic said:

Genelecs are good too.

I don't think they sound very good.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    octatonic said:
    Neill said:
    octatonic said:

Genelecs are good too.

I don't think they sound very good.
    I'm with you - they may be 'flat', but they aren't pleasent to listen to.  Genelec, or Dynaudio have always been my favourites although I've never owned and super high-end ones.  Currently have a pair of Genelec 8040's and love them 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    I have a set of APS Aeons, gorgeous monitors and up for sale when the restrictions are eased, yes they ARE heavy 
  • sweepy said:
    I have a set of APS Aeons, gorgeous monitors and up for sale when the restrictions are eased, yes they ARE heavy 
    The restrictions don't stop you shipping them?
  • daviesjdaviesj Frets: 26
    Finally got round to listjng my equator d5’s (on this site and £1 eBay listing). 

Thanks for the suggestions above. It’s really a minefield when you try and validate speaker size and room size. My room is around 3metres by 3.5 metres untreated.  Would 7 inch speakers be too large in people’s opinion? People rave over the Adam a7x which do tempt me. As do the comparable eve audio and the focal shapes (the twins look good). I am using them for playing through my fractal fm3 and general music playback. I am not recording so don’t need to be perfectly flat, moreover want them to sound good for guitar playing. 
  • robbs1977robbs1977 Frets: 123
    I use Yamaha HS7’s, reasonably priced and I feel sound pretty good. Certainly very similar to when I has an atomic CLR 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3651
    I'm loving the Neumann KH80DSP's.  Don't let their diminutive physique put you off, they have plenty of bass.

• NerineNerine Frets: 2094
    daviesj said:
    Finally got round to listjng my equator d5’s (on this site and £1 eBay listing). 

Thanks for the suggestions above. It’s really a minefield when you try and validate speaker size and room size. My room is around 3metres by 3.5 metres untreated.  Would 7 inch speakers be too large in people’s opinion? People rave over the Adam a7x which do tempt me. As do the comparable eve audio and the focal shapes (the twins look good). I am using them for playing through my fractal fm3 and general music playback. I am not recording so don’t need to be perfectly flat, moreover want them to sound good for guitar playing. 
    In a room that size, which is untreated, you’re already a little bit hamstrung. Most say that a bigger speaker is only going to pronounce your bass problems and cancellation. 

If you’re not planning on doing any treatment, I actually wouldn’t worry too much about the size of the speaker. You don’t want them to sound thin. So just stand or sit in a place in the room where you get a bit more low end and it’s not cancelling too much. 

That said, I’ve just moved to a new mix room and I’ve added a bit more treatment to it over what I was using in my old room. I’ve got a lot of bass trapping in my new room and the difference is well worth it. That said, I use the room for mixing and recording, so, y’know. I kinda need it to be adequate. 

Proper room treatment isn’t a glamorous thing to spend money or time on, but it makes a HUGE difference. I was grinning from ear to ear when I finally started listening to reference material in my new space yesterday. 

It’s one of my pet peeves actually when people chirp on about how good or bad an amp sounds, yet they’re playing through it in a room that could be a complete mess acoustically, so they’re not even hearing it properly. 

• blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    I use active AE22's. if that's any help.

Sealed box - but don't let that put you off. Absolute quality, fast, accurate, punchy and you don't lose all of the bass without the port. Mid range is like nothing else, talk about 3D sound. Designed as ruthless monitors but the quality is so good you can use them as hi-fi speakers. I use them as drum monitors for my e-kit (i.e loud & powerful) but if you play some music and turn them right down to a whisper and stick your head in between them you can still hear every little detailed resolved. magic.

I image they would suit a high end modeller very well. They are great for dialing in eq curves (if you have a decent eq to play with), forensic in that regard. I think they often get discounted as they are compared to NS10's but to me, two different things completely.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • stratologystratology Frets: 181
    daviesj said:
     My room is around 3metres by 3.5 metres untreated.  
    Before you spend any money on room treatment, you can optimise listening position (PDF) and speaker placement (free download).