I will never be any good at guitar ....

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited May 2021
    'but some of us have more deep rooted motivational issues that aren't so easy to change.'

We all have those, I promise you- and I do sympathise.
    I have an incredible capacity to piss time away if not careful.
    No one who posts 28,000 entries on a forum can say they don't.

It is about developing an approach that mitigates that tendency.
    But I've got 30+ years of playing music, learning several instruments to a decent level, so I think I know a way to do it.

I guess what I find frustrating for you (for you, not for me) is I know it is a couple of small things you can do differently that will transform your playing in a matter of months.
    We've chatted on this forum for a long time- approaching a decade and it seems to be the persistent issue that comes up for you.
    I'd like to be able to help and I know I can help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    octatonic said:
    'but some of us have more deep rooted motivational issues that aren't so easy to change.'

We all have those, I promise you- and I do sympathise.
    I have an incredible capacity to piss time away if not careful.
    No one who posts 28,000 entries on a forum can say they don't.

It is about developing an approach that mitigates that tendency.
    But I've got 30+ years of playing music, learning several instruments to a decent level, so I think I know a way to do it.

I guess what I find frustrating for you (for you, not for me) is I know it is a couple of small things you can do differently that will transform your playing in a matter of months.
    We've chatted on this forum for a long time- approaching a decade and it seems to be the persistent issue that comes up for you.
    I'd like to be able to help and I know I can help.
    Genuinely - thanks, I really do appreciate that you have offered with this (and my vibrato with bending on another post). OK, I'll be honest, the reason that I don't take up offers like this is I know I will not make the most of them and thus I will let down the person trying to help. I don't want to waste someone else's time. It is different if you are paying someone and end up being half-assed, as they have had compensation for their time. Would I want to pay? My experience of life is that I do well with lessons when sat next to someone in a room. All other scenarios don't seem to work for me.

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm trying to lay my cards on the table and be as honest as possible. Thanks though! 

• neilgneilg Frets: 94
    mendy said:
    Have you thought about taking up the drums?

I think that's meant as a joke but I decided to have a go at drums about two years ago and I'd say that it's noticeable benefit to my timing when playing the guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    neilg said:
    mendy said:

I think that's meant as a joke but I decided to have a go at drums about two years ago and I'd say that it's noticeable benefit to my timing when playing the guitar.

I've had an electronic drum kit for about 8 years. Not good at drumming but I have a go at times
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    axisus said:
    neilg said:
    mendy said:

I've had an electronic drum kit for about 8 years. Not good at drumming but I have a go at times
    I've been taking drum lessons and was fortune enough to find good teacher straight away.