Emily Remler Appreciation

What's Hot
BradBrad Frets: 658
I’m a big fan of Emily Remler so thought I’d do a quick cover of her version of Daahoud/Daahound. 

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    Very nice indeed! Good lines and nice clean picking.

Reminds me of how sloppy I am - I've always played rock/pop stuff with a pick, and I'm OK with this and even with funk, but can't really do fast lines. And since I started focusing more on jazz (esp. since the lockdown) I've just been using my fingers, which sounds fine just at home, but feels/sounds a bit feeble when playing with others. 

You're inspiring me to start practicing some picking techniques...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    Yes but can you play Smoke on the Water ?   ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    Wish I could play like that ........I realise I will have a hard time getting past Autumn Leaves
  • She's my favourite guitarist. I was delighted 2 or 3 years back to find a mid '60's Gibson 330, which had had a pair of PAF's put in it sometime in the past. I call it my Emily Remler guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Great playing.

It's not a competition.
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    smigeon said:
    Very nice indeed! Good lines and nice clean picking.

Reminds me of how sloppy I am - I've always played rock/pop stuff with a pick, and I'm OK with this and even with funk, but can't really do fast lines. And since I started focusing more on jazz (esp. since the lockdown) I've just been using my fingers, which sounds fine just at home, but feels/sounds a bit feeble when playing with others. 

You're inspiring me to start practicing some picking techniques...
    Thank you! Yeah, Remler was just brilliant - great feel, phrases and lines. Such a talent.

Ah I'm honoured that I've inspired you in someway to work on picking techniques! Never been a great picker myself, I could never do that strict alternate picking thing and it all falls apart at a certain point (came close on occasion in that vid!)
    Stick with your fingers if it works though. Maybe you can find other ways of making things sound stronger when you're playing with others? Good luck with it in any case smile 

Dominic said:
    Yes but can you play Smoke on the Water ?   ;)

Wish I could play like that .......I realise I will have a hard time getting past Autumn Leaves
    Haha perhaps not! Maybe I'd be totally inappropriate... :wink: 

And don't knock yourself... Autumn Leaves harder than it's given credit for!

She's my favourite guitarist. I was delighted 2 or 3 years back to find a mid '60's Gibson 330, which had had a pair of PAF's put in it sometime in the past. I call it my Emily Remler guitar.
    What a find! I've no doubt you cherish that guitar :smile: She's certainly one of my faves too!

Great playing.

Thank you sir!

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Very well played!! I did find the background sound on the video distracting at times though.

Back in 2010 Deirdre Cartwright and Kathy Dyson made the album Emily Remembered and then toured to promote it. I went to see them at St Ives Jazz Club and had a really enjoyable evening. I only previously knew DC from the rock school TV series but boy can she play. Both her and Kathy very talented players and very respectful to Emily Remler in their playing and comments.

Anyway, thanks for posting that. Excellent playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @Jimbro66 - me not quite with Remler at various points is probably what was distracting you. Need to nail that time feel!

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll check that album out :+1: 
  • Lovely stuff @Brad .  Like a few others no doubt, I'd heard of ER through mentions by Herb Ellis in the 80s plus Guitar Player interviews then the two Hotlicks VHS tapes that were released.  A few of us have been working our way through her version of "Tenor Madness" recently online.  Her life towards the end was sad though  
  • I have to say I was a bit disappointed by the Deirdre Cartwright/Kathy Dyson CD. I didn't manage to see them live on their tour, though would have liked to if they'd come anywhere near me. I do, in general, like Deirdre Cartwright's playing - seen her a couple of times in recent years as part of ARQ (Alison Rayner Quartet).
    Lovely stuff @Brad .  Like a few others no doubt, I'd heard of ER through mentions by Herb Ellis in the 80s plus Guitar Player interviews then the two Hotlicks VHS tapes that were released.  A few of us have been working our way through her version of "Tenor Madness" recently online.  Her life towards the end was sad though  
    Thank you! Good shout on Tenor Madness, so much great content in everything she played.

Tragic the way things ended for her and sadly all too common... 
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Nicely played, I bought the Larry Coryell and Emily Remler duets lp in the 1980's, How insensitive is beautifully played on the lp.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Terrific playing.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Excellent playing - deserves better sound quality though!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Emily - great teacher as well as player - I think her playing with a metronome video is essential viewing (can't remember which of the 2 VHS/DVDs it is on)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    Great playing!  Really nice :)
    @GuyBoden Cheers. Yeah it is beautiful indeed. I transcribed a haunting live version she did of that tune years ago. Legend has it, she passed away a day or two after that particular session...

@Blueingreen - Thanks!

@axisus Thank you and apologies for the sound quality... it was a quick throw down between students!

@Jalapeno - Completely agree! Not sure they're on YT anymore, but they are essential viewing if one can find them. 

@BahHumbug Thank you very much :smile: 

• Yes, big appreciation for Emily Remler and kudos for that rendition, that was excellent!
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky

Yes, big appreciation for Emily Remler and kudos for that rendition, that was excellent!
    Thank you man! :smile: 
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited January 2021
    I used to play her arrangement of "Softly As In A Sunday Morning", a friend showed me how to play it, he got it first hand off Mike Outram. The intro is really fantastic to play, a great build up.

Mike Outram's arrangement of Emily's version.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom