Helix Stomp XL leaked?

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
edited January 2021 in FX
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yeah...leaked from Zzounds. I would definitely have bought one of these if it came out a couple of months ago (no need, now that I have the MP-2 rack). Something half way between the Stomp and the LT is exactly the right form factor for me, without the expression pedal.

The only thing they screwed up, in my opinion, is the arrangement of the buttons. For optimal ergonomics, I'm pretty sure the bottom row should've been A, B, C, D, TAP and the top row should be UP, DOWN, MODE - on the simple principle that the buttons used most often should be easiest to get to.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    edited January 2021
    Ooh! I hope it’s genuine. @digitalscream I’m with you on the button arrangement. 
  • Hmm, if it is genuine I reckon they’ve messed up. Volume on the back a bad idea. Looks a bit off to me.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    If they did an LT with no expression pedal, that would have been ideal for me but the stomps dsp potentially too small for me. Still, I like the look of this! 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3961
    It’s not the best looking design but it appears to solve the issues I had with the Stomp. I switched to a Pod Go for the extra footswitch options but never use the expression pedal and would gain the 3.0 update so this XL could be of interest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bigger chassis could mean bigger dsp. Not that I think this is genuine  ;)
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    It's official apparently

HX Stomp XL FAQ

So it’s just… HX Stomp, but with more touch footswitches and all the jacks on the back? For $150 more?
    Yes.

…Why?
    Because customers asked for more switches. Or kept finding clever—but way less elegant or integrated—ways to add more switches. And it was relatively easy. We’re not going to pretend it’s the most innovative product we’ve ever designed but for some customers, it’s the goldilocks form factor.

Thanks, but my personal needs require a Variax input, twice the DSP, and six switches, not eight. Why didn’t you give me exactly what I want?
    <exasperated sigh>

So it’s like the size of two HX Stomps?
    If you omit the space required for jacks on the side (even pancake jacks), more like 1-2/3 Stomps. It’s 12.5” wide (vs. HX Stomp’s 7” width). Depth and height are virtually identical.

Does it add anything else?
    Hands-free Pedal Edit mode (tweak presets with your feet), 128 presets vs.126, four snapshots per preset vs. three, and you can access the 6 Switch Looper without needing a MIDI controller. Other than that, it is HX Stomp with 5 extra switches.

Does it have the Command Center?
    Absolutely. In fact, a big reason HX Stomp got the Command Center in 3.0 is because we had already done the work for HX Stomp XL. It makes a killer master MIDI/QWERTY controller for your entire pedalboard.

Wait, what happened to the Volume knob?
    We moved it to the back panel to save room. It’s spring loaded so you can recess it into the chassis to keep your cables from accidentally turning it.

Can I use third-party power supplies?
    Yes. Any power supply that works with HX Stomp should work fine with HX Stomp XL.

Can it load HX Stomp presets?
    Yep, just drag ‘em in via HX Edit. It can also load Helix, Helix Rack+Control, Helix LT, Helix Native, and HX Effects presets, as long as they contain 8 or fewer blocks on a single DSP path.

• handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    edited January 2021
    I completely agree about the footswitch labelling. It’s pretty stupid how they’ve laid it out. 

I love my hx stomp but I’d rather spend that extra on a morning star midi controller which also gives scribble strips. 
  • An FAQ doesn’t make it official. It’s too clunky looking for me to believe this is the real deal.
  • An FAQ doesn’t make it official. It’s too clunky looking for me to believe this is the real deal.
    The FAQ came from @Digital_Igloo over on TGP. It's real.
    <space for hire>
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    That's just how L6 do the FAQs now, with a bit of a tongue in cheek approach as they know there will always be some to complain. And written as a conversation rather than purely technical, which scares off some folk 
  • I wasn’t saying the faq is clunky. I was saying the product looks too clunky for me to believe it. I just think it looks like a photoshop effort.
    edited January 2021
    I think this is a good move. I got a 2 button switch for my Stomp to give me more options but was never that happy.

• Seen this on Instagram this morning too
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    FAQ:

Thanks, but my personal needs require a Variax input, twice the DSP, and six switches, not eight. Why didn’t you give me exactly what I want?
    <exasperated sigh>

Or "Wait 6 months and we'll spring one of those out too"

I do wonder if potential customers may begin to wonder if they should wait before buying with so many variations still coming out
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited January 2021
    I like it as a Stomp does feel quite limited if you're using it for more than 1 thing at a time (I imagine even more now you can do 8 blocks) but I think I'd probably have a Pod Go before this, or stretch the extra for an LT. It feels like a bit of an expensive halfway house that's still limited by the DSP of the Stomp, but at least you won't have to faff with a Morningstar midi controller anymore.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    If there's actual demand then yeah they probably will. 
    They're a business after all. And I get the feeling they probably have multiple iterations of the helix drawn up, but it's quite clear they are listening to customer wants and putting out products that suit that next group of "it's almost what I wanted" folk. 

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10172
    Is there much point in the HXFX now?
    Is there much point in the HXFX now?
    I guess it’s still going to be the cheapest option, assuming you only want effects.