Recommendations for “higher action” on slide guitar

What's Hot
Hi 

Starting out learning slide guitar and have a Epiphone SG Pro that I want to use for this. A lot of advice out there about increasing the action height for a dedicated slide guitar, but is their anyone can advise exactly how much to raise the action in numerical terms, or is it simply personal taste? I realise if you set it too high then it would make it difficult combining fretting notes/chords with the slide playing, but wondered if there is a height someone might advise to at least give me a starting point to work from? Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Trial and error, maybe 1mm more all across, however I would definitely also use 11s so that the strings are stiffer. 
  • Dunlop slide capo.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    edited January 2021
    Just wind it up until you don't have any issues with the slide hitting the frets. There may be need for a compromise if you want to fret or bar normally. Bigger strings are a must for more tension unless you have a really delicate touch, so the truss rod will likely need a tweak too. The tuning will also have an effect, especially if you go up rather than down in pitch. Also consider a shim under the nut.
  • moremore Frets: 230
    When you use a slide , your not fretting the strings . The slide becomes a moveable fret . It is possable  to use light strings , with a lightweight glass slide and not ajust the action . Personally I have a preference  for heavy strings with a heavy Crome slide . The setup is normal for the guage of strings I use . There is no need to be pushing the slid down . 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    Yeah I agree with @more ;
    I used to think a higher action was essential for slide but after watching Tom Bukovac, who uses a mega low action I don't anymore. 
    I'm learning slide on my normal guitars and no probs for me either yet
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    The answer is probably “as much as you need”. When I play slide, which isn’t very often, I use whichever guitar I’m playing at the time. 

If I were you I’d spend a few days practicing, and if you think you will be able to get away without hitting the frets then leave the action where it is. This has a big advantage because you don’t need separate guitars. You can pick up the slide part way through the song. I’ve also seen people playing a combination of slide and fretted notes.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    I don’t play slide with higher action on my tele, try using newtone electric strings. 
  • I think when learning slide, a high action is a great start point. Especially if you have a spare guitar. I raised action just a touch by knocking Nut loose and putting a slice or two of paper or thin card underneath. Easy to try and put back to normal.