Hilton Valentine

What's Hot
boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
Gone at 77. How many budding guitarists he must’ve inspired with that opening riff to House of the Rising Sun.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Just reading his wiki page, post Animals an unsuccessful attempt at a solo career but then many years of playing folk and skiffle across the USA in Skiffledog. 
    Yes, one of the most iconic guitar parts. 
    RIP. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Oh dear.

I met him a couple of times, sold him an amp on one occasion at soundcheck, a Vibroverb reissue. He was a really nice bloke.

RIP
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    I just looked at his Wiki page. I’d always assumed he’d made up or been given the name by an aspiring manager (a la Billy Fury etc) but apparently it was his real birth name. Must’ve been given a load of stick at school. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    I think it was Guitar Player's Dan Forte who named him as the 'Gnarliest Guitarist' of all time. Can there be a finer tribute? 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8687
    boogieman said:
    Gone at 77. How many budding guitarists he must’ve inspired with that opening riff to House of the Rising Sun.
    Me
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    Me too. Was one of the first things I tried to learn. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    And me. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22718
    boogieman said:
    I just took a look at the Wiki page too, I was wondering if he really had played that part or if he'd been supplanted by some uncredited studio player... but no, it was him.

One of the very first things I learned, too... still can't get it quite right.  In fact I wonder if I can remember it, it's been a while.

Sorry to hear he's gone.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    Roland said:
    boogieman said:
    Me
    And me.

My first introduction to a 'hard chord' - the F of course.

Absolutely iconic guitar part.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Roland said:
    boogieman said:
    Me
    Me too!  And it is a great name!  :)

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    ICBM said:
    Roland said:
    boogieman said:
    Me
    And me.

Me too. RIP.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    The Animals were a terrific band, he gave them a unique sound.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Hands up those who think he should have got the royalties for House of the Rising Sun.

The arrangement is of course credited to Alan Price who, it is said, didn't like the opening riff and wanted to change it. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    edited January 2021
  • Very sad news. Hugely powerful and influential Guitar playing and sound. RIP
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15957
    ICBM said:
    Roland said:
    boogieman said:
    Me
    And me.

Exact same scene/chord/song for me too John

tae be or not tae be
    Neill said:
    Hands up those who think he should have got the royalties for House of the Rising Sun.

The arrangement is of course credited to Alan Price who, it is said, didn't like the opening riff and wanted to change it. 
    Just been reading about that in Philip Norman’s new Hendrix bio, Chas Chandler bring the link of course. The song was already in the public domain long before but Price got all the royalties as arranger. The rest of the band thought he’d split them equally but he refused. Nice. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    boogieman said:

The song was already in the public domain long before but Price got all the royalties as arranger. The rest of the band thought he’d split them equally but he refused. Nice. 
    That may well have contributed to his leaving the band less than a year later... to form The Alan Price Set, most famous for 'Simon Smith And His Amazing Dancing Bear' being accidentally played instead of Jimi Hendrix's 'Hey Joe' on Top Of The Pops :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Ha ha yes. :) The Philip Norman book also says that Price wanted the band to go in a more pop driven direction, like the Stones were doing, whereas the others in The Animals were more interested in staying as a pure blues and R’n’B band. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    Price also hated flying, which became a problem touring the States.