-

eoinzyeoinzy Frets: 128
edited July 2022 in Technique
-
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• greejngreejn Frets: 127
    I've always provided materials, including loan of DVDs etc, it's part of the job as I see it. Lots of free lessons at hubpages.com. The one to one thing is valuable though.
  • eoinzyeoinzy Frets: 128
    edited July 2022
    -
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    edited January 2021
    A bit of both, I do all my own lesson notes and handouts and then the job is to make sure they understand what it means and how to use it, then work on it when I'm not there. I know there's tutors who print stuff off the internet and expect to pass that off as their own but I don't do this. Now we're in a world of online lessons I also record videos for them to play-along to as well which really helps especially when learning songs as they pretty much play along with the video. Keeps it visual and interactive.
  • eoinzy said:
    I agree there's definitely value in interaction, especially when it comes to improving technique. But I'm sick to death of playing the same pentatonic scale every week! Maybe my progress is slow which is why it's the same stuff.

Either way it's turned me off the whole thing and it's sucked the fun out of guitar. I thought the accountability would be useful for my progress. Maybe something like TrueFire is a better option. Worth one last shot.

Not all guitar teachers are equal and sometimes a teacher might not be a good fit for you. Try a few other teachers and find one who makes learning fun. And regarding the quetion in the OP, yes I make tabs/sheet music, worksheets and exercises for my students.
  • A bit of both.  There is some great published material out there, so where it’s appropriate to the student I would suggest that they buy a particular book, I then coach them through the material in the book.  But for many of my students I also write bespoke material, lessons, exercises etc.  Even when working on a piece out of a book it might be necessary to break it down into chunks for the student and write specific exercises to help them to get to grips with particular problems.

• As has been said, not all teachers are the same.
    There is a guitar teacher in my area who AFAIK works mainly as a peripatetic, teaching kids in schools, something like 15 or 20 minute lessons.  I’ve heard of his reputation from a couple of youngsters and their parents.  It isn’t positive - production line treatment, kids not treated as individuals.  The one kid that I taught after this guy basically said the guy didn’t care.