Help picking acoustic

What's Hot
PudWudPudWud Frets: 156
Hi all

I’m looking for an acoustic at the moment but I have to admit I’m not familiar with the best ones for my budget. 

Based on what I’ve played previously I know that I either want an 000 or OM style acoustic. 

Budget is up to about £1750, what would be the best options available in this budget? 

I’ve seen the Martin 00017L which look nice but not sure how good they are. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3684
    I've got a Martin 00015-M which is one step down in the range which is a guitar I never want to put down! SO I think you'd be happy with the '17.

But we all have different preferences :)
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    000-17 is a GREAT guitar, as is the 15. I really like mahogany tops but not as an all the time guitar. I would go spruce for that. At that budget you could think about a used 000-18 also

Easman do great 000 size ones too. 99% as good as Martin, maybe 

Furch. Top drawer, 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1577
    If you’re patient you might be able to find a 000-18 in you’re budget. 
    If I was looking right now though I’d seriously consider the 000-17 in the classifieds, it’s a fair price and has a pick up (bonus). 

• DavidRDavidR Frets: 742
    Yamaha FS5, Any Eastman with E and OM in the name! 
  • If you go used you really have a massive range of choice. 

I think you can get a real decent Martin with £1750. I would always try the guitar out first though. Which is tricky at the moment.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • PudWudPudWud Frets: 156
    Yeah, I am really leaning towards the Martin 00017 or 18 (if there’s a decent priced second hand one). 

Does anyone have experience with Larrivee? 
  • PudWud said:
    Yeah, I am really leaning towards the Martin 00017 or 18 (if there’s a decent priced second hand one). 

Does anyone have experience with Larrivee? 
     I own a Canadian-built L'Arrivee L-01. I've had it for 16-17 years now. That's the same as the L-03 in the current product lineup but plainer, no bindings, less bling, same solid woods. It was a special production run for their Japanese distributor, I believe.  It's really good. Nice neck, easy to play and sounds balanced. The L body shape is unique to them - sort of jumbo-ish and dread-ish but not quite as big or quite as loud. I'd recommend them (along with Furch) as punching above their price point. They have a similar model naming approach as Martin. The letter is the body shape and size, the number is the bling factor. The bigger the number, the fancier the woods and decoration will be. 

The OM model you've linked to looks nice to me. Peach has a great rep for offsite sales. 

A few years ago I was looking for an OM-sized guitar. In my own limited experience, I didn't find a Martin I liked at the price range you're going for. They all played OK but sounded dead. I needed to go to £3K upwards before any Martin OM or 000 started to sound as good as far cheaper Furch or L'Arrivee models.

I was willing to spend a bit more than you are planning, though, so I bought a Brook Taw. My entire guitar purchase history seems to be setting a budget and then blowing it when I play something I really want and finding the extra money somehow! 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    I've just picked up a Martin 000-15 special, spruce top rather than mahogany.

A lot cheaper than an 000-18 and well within your budget, It is simply superb and haven't put it down since I got it.
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    @PudWud - If you'd like a chat about the Eastman range drop me a DM. 
    I've some great thermo cured OM models available right now that are well within your budget.
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • I like the look of those Eastman E1 OM models. Just my size and price range too.Once I can shift my Epiphone Masterbilt I may invest in one.
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    If you can stretch any further budget wise this is a stunning guitar for a crazy price... https://reverb.com/uk/item/38620316-santa-cruz-h13-left-hand-sunburst

• PudWudPudWud Frets: 156
    tomjax said:
    If you can stretch any further budget wise this is a stunning guitar for a crazy price... https://reverb.com/uk/item/38620316-santa-cruz-h13-left-hand-sunburst

That looks nice but unfortunately I’m not left handed. 

I’m in no mad rush so I think I’ll wait it out until some guitar shops are open and I can try some out again. 
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    Ah, I think a few of us thought you were due to the 00017L reference. The price of that Santa Cruz has had me wishing I was!! 
  • brook lamorna (that's their OM)  or any other brook s/h if you can find one. Simply amazing guitars made in the UK, and fantastic value for money. I have two, will be getting a third. 
  • You can’t really go wrong with a Martin. 

I’d certainly consider buying used. I notice you’re in Lancashire, so a trip to Frailers in Runcorn would be worthwhile when we’re allowed. They usually have a really wide range of new and used acoustics.
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    Second the recommendation for a Brook. I've a Taw, bought new from Coda, and now it's opening up and with sweetened tuning it's just a delight to play. 
  • 00018 is fab
  • Like others have said, you can’t really go wrong with a Martin. I sold a mint 00-18 a couple of years ago for about £1,600 so I reckon if you’re happy to wait around a bit you might find a used 000 or in your price range. It was a great sounding guitar... one of the reimagined ones, but I was suffering from severe GAS back then and moved it on to fund something else. 
    Seems like a few years ago there was a lot more on the used market than there is now. Guess what with all the lockdowns people are less likely to be listing guitars for sale, given you’d normally want to give a guitar at least a strum of a G chord before pulling the trigger, and lock down ain’t really allowing that.

Worth considering Eastman too if you don’t want to buy used 
  • You can’t really go wrong with a Martin. 

I’d certainly consider buying used. I notice you’re in Lancashire, so a trip to Frailers in Runcorn would be worthwhile when we’re allowed. They usually have a really wide range of new and used acoustics.
    If you go to Frailers(Runcorn is where I live but found Frailers pretty unfriendly) try Ideal Sounds which is literally up the side street next door. Karl is my local guitar tech and has a great little shop full of used guitars and guitar gear which will fascinate you. He's a great fella too and very friendly.